PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy new or used?

ragoo879
06-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Hello all,

First time post and not an owner yet. That is why I am asking this question, should I bu a new or used Spyder?
I know with an older model there are recalls that need to be done. But I would hope that anyone selling a used one would have gotten the updates done.
The lowest pirce I have seen was about $9000, I don't remember what year it was, thinking 08 or 09.
Most of used ones I have seen have been about the $12k.
Just want to get a feel of what already owner thought.
Thanks.

tobor9
06-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Only you can decide what you can afford to spend,for me I was looking for a good used RS but would have to finance it and the rates for used bikes are real high! It turned out that a new RS would be Cheaper(rate wise) then a used one and would have warranty + best,I just could not see why I should buy a used one with all the potential problems and little or no warranty. If you do find a used :spyder2:you like make sure that you get the Vin# and have a dealer run it to see if it has been serviced and had the updates done. Good luck!

pro10is
06-03-2012, 01:41 AM
It all depends on where your comfort level is. Spyders come with a two year transferable warranty so any 2008 or 2009 and some 2010 models may be out of warranty unless the owner purchased an extended warranty. I mention this only because the Spyder is a complex machine and can be difficult and costly to repair. If you're comfortable fixing your vehicles this may not be as big of a concern as someone who has little or no such skills. Still, even for skilled DIY'ers the Spyder can be a handful to fix especially since some repairs require diagnostic equipment not available to owners. If you buy from a private party make sure there is a decent dealer you can take it to if necessary.

That said you can save a lot of money buying used. Try to find one still under warranty if possible. If you buy from a dealer ask for a 30-90 day warranty. At least if it has any existing problems you'll probably know by then. If you buy from a private party pay a nearby BRP dealer about $100 to check it over before you buy. Most people will agree to this, if not walk away.

When buying used first look it over stem to stern. You can usually tell a lot just from its overall condition. Look at the body panels, they should be smooth, even, and well attached. The exterior finish should be in reasonable shape for its age. Make sure you're ok with any flaws. Look for signs of UV or weather damage. Ask where and how it was stored on and off season. The seat should be in good shape, no rips or seam splits. Check the front and rear fenders. They should be well attached.

Ask the owner/dealer to start it. It should start right up. No excessive smoke should visible from the exhaust (steam is ok). When it's running turn the handlebars right and left. It should turn smoothly with a notable feeling of steering assist. Listen carefully to the engine, it should sound steady with no rattles or unusual noises. Slowly roll the throttle to about 4000 RPM (in neutral, with e-brake on). It should accelerate smoothly, then return to a steady idle. Check the dash console for any error codes, there should be none. Turn off the engine, it should stop immediately. Check all the lighting and electricals. Check the front tires for uneven wear. Sit on the seat and rock it back and forth. Listen for any suspension clunking. Work the rear suspension, again check for smooth operation and no odd noises. Look at the exhaust, it should not look burnt, rusted, or carboned up. Look at the drive belt, it should be free of cracks and cuts.

Look for any signs of abuse, bald tires, worn steering, dirty or leaking fluids, signs of an accident, etc. Some people take great care of their vehicles, others trash them. Look for one that was lovingly cared for and you'll be much happier. Next look at any modifications. Mods can be both good or bad depending on the skills of the person who installed them. Ask for a complete list of mods and make sure you are ok with them. Some mods may void the warranty. Ask if the original OEM parts are still available. Check the mileage but be aware that the mileage shown on the dash console my not be accurate if the console unit was ever replaced. A dealer can determine the actual mileage which is stored in the ECU.

Ask if you can test ride it. Some owners/dealers may let you others may not. Don't hold it against them if they don't, this is not a car. A test ride can tell you a lot if you can get one. If you can't then insist for ride as a passenger (bring your own helmet and gear). During the ride listen to and feel the engine. It should be smooth and powerful. A little coughing/popping is normal for some Spyders during deceleration and certain RPM ranges but it should transitory and not be excessive. Listen to the shifting, if anything sounds or feels strange be wary although the the shifting skills of the driver can make a big difference. Also be aware that the semi-automatic does normally clunk loudly when put into 1st gear from neutral. Braking should be smooth and quick. The suspension should be effective with no odd noises. If you're not use to riding on a Spyder expect it to roll side to side a bit during cornering, that's normal and takes some getting used to.

Ask to see the Spyder's maintenance records, the oil/filter(s) should have been changed roughly every 3000 miles. If over 10,000-14,000 miles ask to see a record of the valve clearance check. Look for excessive problems if listed. Ask if all recalls have been done, double check this with the dealer.

Finally ask the owner for an honest assessment of the Spyder. Ask why it's being sold. You'll have to be a good judge of character to get an accurate read.

Do your homework on the price. Look at both the NADA retail value and check eBay and Craigslist to see what the going prices of used Spyders are locally and nationally. Adjust for the condition of the Spyder and for the modifications.

If I missed anything others will fill in.

Many people are willing to take a risk and buy used to save a lot of money. Others are willing to pay more for new. Again it comes down to your comfort level. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Recluze
06-03-2012, 09:09 AM
I bought a new 2008 sight unseen never haven ridden a motorcycle. The warranty was very much worth it as it made repeated trips to the shop for initial problems. Not unexpected. In 45,000 miles this machine never failed to start, never threw a code, never quit on me. The machine was maintained by the dealer. Sadly enough it was this maintenance by the dealer that got me off of it. They left a part out of my engine and then tried to tell me the low oil pressure was normal and to just ride it. When I did an oil change I found the missing part on the drain plug magnet. I did not have lot of faith in the machine or the dealer after that. Bye Bye Spyder.

I just recently bought a new to me 2008 RS. No warranty. But I am moderately handy and the recalls had been done. It only had 3100 miles on it. On one of my first rides it overheated. I knew exactly what was wrong, the fan relay, and even had a spare one with me. This was a five minute fix. Next it started throwing brake failure codes. I came to this forum and searched and sure enough the answer was here. Two teaspoons of brake fluid and the problem was solved. Every time I change the oil I put a hundred dollar bill in my pocket. I will eventualy go to the dealer for tires and valve adjustment. But 'normal' service is wicked expensive and you would want to have that done at a dealer on a new bike.

One of the things I would look for in a used bike is the LACK of modifications. Especially electrical modfications. Once someone has done an electrical mod to this bike you have opened up Pandora's Box. My used bike came with a twinkly LED license plate frame with remote control. Not my style. Did not work. Off it came. If a used bike has mechanical mods, make certain they are BRP parts. Nothing against secondary supplier's add ons. I certainly have added quite a few to my bike. My point here is that if it is a BRP add on it will probably be installed correctly and you can always get help with it through BRP. If it is a secondary supplier add on it may not be on just right and you will have a tough time figuring that out. If you put an add on onto the bike yourself at least you know where you stand. One of the advantage of buying used is that if there is some money left over you can put on the essential add ons that BRP will probably never get around to on new bikes. They have had 4 years to fix the rear view mirrors and have not. A couple of hundred bucks will get you some up and out mirror extensions. Likewise with the SmoothSpyder idler pulley-don't leave home without it.

With the RS/GS the bikes have not had any notable changes since first introduced. They have fixed some essential bugs like the power steering and evaporative canister. I can't speak to the RT machine as I have never owned one. Having said that, if I were to buy an RT it would be under warranty.

So it is a personal decision with pluses and minuses. I was ready to buy an new RT but decided I like the RS better. Then I found an RS that I liked for a good price. Now I enjoy working and modding it as much as I do riding it. Good luck with your decision.

flamingobabe
06-03-2012, 11:22 AM
2 years ago...I purchased a used 2009 RS SE5 with 1700 miles...have done all the updates myself...I now have 37,000 miles...mine was stock....when I purchased...not anymore.....

a friend in Michigan purchased a used 2009 SM all kind of after market goodies for less than I got mine for.....used ones are out there if you're willing to look around....but a new one is all yours......

bone crusher
06-03-2012, 01:21 PM
I'll keep it simple...buy used with warranty and extend it with the BEST for 5 years total coverage...then you have nothing to worry about...of course, try to buy a used bike in good shape!

ARtraveler
06-03-2012, 04:10 PM
A lot of good ideas posted above. Good idea to have a dealer check over any used machine so they can check the repair history on it. That will tell you a lot. :welcome:

Sarge707
06-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Often in you can wait till Nov timeframe you can get a Great buy on a leftover New and save a lot of $$$ but still have the New warranty.

bone crusher
06-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Often in you can wait till Nov timeframe you can get a Great buy on a leftover New and save a lot of $$$ but still have the New warranty.

Great looking bike (looks like mine!)....now that the millennium yellow is no longer made, it's nice to see one other than my own. I keep considering getting mag rims, but like you, I have stuck to the stock rims...they're easy enough to clean and they still look pretty darn good...

cstall
06-04-2012, 12:53 PM
I had the same "new or used" dilemma when I bought my Spyder recently. I found that here in AZ, the dealers wouldn't budge much from MSRP. In other states - TX, OK, AK - the dealers offered pretty liberal discounts on their new Spyders. If buying a new Spyder in another state, you'll pay around $500 to ship it here and you'll still pay AZ sales tax when you register it
For me, it was a $$$ decision. I found a cream-puff '08 SE5 in Gilbert at a good price. I was a little concerned about the warranty expiring later this year but a local Spyder owner assured me that Spyders are fairly trouble-free, if properly maintained (I'm sure some will argue this).
Good Luck!

kevorama
06-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Whether you buy new or used, check the rates at credit unions. They are often half of what the banks want for Spyder loans. That was the case with me, any way. The banks wanted 8.5% up to 12% because they considered it an ATV. Credit union was just under 4% for the loan. Also, Cowtown in Cuba, MO. sells more out of state Spyders than any other dealership in America. You could always contact Len and see what he can do. Catch a ride up and then you can ryde back on your own machine. :thumbup:

http://www.cowtownusainc.com/

Bytemi
06-04-2012, 01:36 PM
I purchased my Spyder about a year ago, 08 GS PE with 600 miles on it and I love it. I have had to get some recalls done, but no serious problems. I purchased used because my husband put a $10,000 limit on my purchase. I have no regrets about my decision.

Bob Denman
06-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Perhaps the question that you should be asking is, "Is it worth the extra greenbacks to have a new vehicle warranty riding shotgun with me?" :shocked:
And of course; only you can answer that one! :thumbup:
Happy shopping! :ohyea:

spyder3
06-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Just do the math. Interest rates on buying a new bike will be better then rates buying a used one if your financing it. You might find it isn't that much more to buy the new one. :lecturef_smilie:

Bike-O-Din
06-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Yes. You should buy a new or a used spyder. Having one is better than not having one.

Bob Denman
06-04-2012, 02:43 PM
:shocked: Now how can you argue with that logic?? :thumbup:

bone crusher
06-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Just do the math. Interest rates on buying a new bike will be better then rates buying a used one if your financing it. You might find it isn't that much more to buy the new one. :lecturef_smilie:

If you pay cash it is....or put a chunk down as a downpayment...

spyder3
06-04-2012, 08:45 PM
If you pay cash it is....or put a chunk down as a downpayment...

katnapper
06-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Used if you are buying mine! LOL just kidding..
:yes:

In 2008 I bought one new, in 2010 I bought another used. No problems with either one.

Like others have said it's up to you, your comfort level, and what you want on your ride.

bone crusher
06-04-2012, 09:04 PM

It's 'if you're financing it', if you're going to use boldface! As far as your content goes...yes, it depends on the rate and the time you are going to take to pay it off. I don't know what people pay as a downpayment, but that factors in as well.