PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte Area Dealers

pslawing
06-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Wanting to buy a spyder! Been reading these forums to get educated. Noticed that a good dealer with a good service department can make or break your can am experience. Anyone out there got any recommendations as to which Dealer in the Carolinas is the best. Preferably in the Charlotte area.
Thanks
Want a be spyder owner!

RLM
06-02-2012, 08:38 PM
I got my 2011 RTL at Matthews Fun Machines. I had to have a little warranty work done. They get right on it,
they had to order the parts (about 3 or 4 days to come in). They call went they come in and sat up a time to do the work while I waited on it.
You my want to look a the pit pass, as service can be a little pricey.

danlnc
06-03-2012, 06:26 AM
I also got my RSS at Matthews, but as yet have had nothing done to it. I did order a windshield when I purchased the machine which they forgot to do, and I had to re-order which took over a week.

Leslee
06-03-2012, 08:17 AM
RPM in Albermarle gave me a good quote when I was looking last year (didn't know about Matthews). Ended up buying at Triangle Cycles in Durham because they are close to our house. You will really enjoy your Spyder. Hope to see you on a future Carolina Spyder Ryders get-together.

pslawing
06-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I read about them all the time. I am 60yr old female, ex harley rider. Yall think I need to rent one first? I think they rent them in Greenville, SC for about $300/day. Only thing I'm worried about it spending that much $$ and I'm hurtin all over after a day ride. I did test ride one at Matthews Fun Machines for about 20 miles. It was a blast!

danlnc
06-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Yeah, I read about them all the time. I am 60yr old female, ex harley rider. Yall think I need to rent one first? I think they rent them in Greenville, SC for about $300/day. Only thing I'm worried about it spending that much $$ and I'm hurtin all over after a day ride. I did test ride one at Matthews Fun Machines for about 20 miles. It was a blast!

I am a 62 yrs old rider with an RSS. I find the seat more comfortable than the Mustang seat I had on my Nomad. The RT is supposedly more comfortable than the RS,I just couldn't afford it. I bought mine after a test ride, if you have riding experience I think you will be fine.

pslawing
06-07-2012, 08:49 AM
I am a 62 yrs old rider with an RSS. I find the seat more comfortable than the Mustang seat I had on my Nomad. The RT is supposedly more comfortable than the RS,I just couldn't afford it. I bought mine after a test ride, if you have riding experience I think you will be fine.

Thanks Dan!
Noticed u from Locust NC!
I'm from Kings Mountain. Where did u buy your spyder?

Leslee
06-07-2012, 09:03 PM
We've done 400 miles in one day and probably could have done more. I'm older than you, with some leg/knee issues. My husband and I did trade driving though.

danlnc
06-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks Dan!
Noticed u from Locust NC!
I'm from Kings Mountain. Where did u buy your spyder?

From Mathews Fun Machine. But after talking to the people at RPM I wish I would have gone there.

pslawing
06-11-2012, 11:14 AM
From Mathews Fun Machine. But after talking to the people at RPM I wish I would have gone there.

?RPM What dealer is that?

Leslee
06-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Albermarle, NC

danlnc
06-12-2012, 07:28 AM
?RPM What dealer is that?

RPM is in Albemarle, NC on Nc 52

http://www.rpmcyclesnc.com/

WingmanRT
06-12-2012, 10:55 AM
RPM is in Albemarle, NC on Nc 52

http://www.rpmcyclesnc.com/

I have dealt with most of the area dealers pretty extensively. (We have two RTs.) RPM in Albemarle (ask for the owner, Rick) has the best prices on bikes by far (even though I bought my RT limited in 2011 from Velocity Powersports in Charleston because they had it in stock to test drive. Nice people, big dealership, willing to work with you some.).

Matthews Fun Machines has really left a bad taste in my mouth. The service is always about 2x higher and while they are all nice guys, the company is not customer retention-oriented in sales or service. Service is completely separate from sales so even if you are there shopping for a second $23k bike, service will nickle and dime you with no regards to what's it costing their sales staff. (It cost them a $23k sale!) In the dozen times I have dealt with them for sales or service, it seems to be about "how much we can get from you... right this minute", forget about the long run. As the only service place in Charlotte (except Lake Norman Powersports which seems to be focused on watercraft more) they seem to think they have a monopoly and act like it. They're wrong.

The best place I have found for service is Honda of Winston Salem ( a huge Can-Am Dealer - http://www.hondaws.com/ (http://www.hondaws.com))Their service prices are half of MFM (at least) and the customer service is beyond belief. I drive both our bikes 200 miles round trip for the customer service and eagerness to earn our business. 2 Certified Can-Am Service techs and a huge focus on Spyders both in sales and service. I had all my lights installed there for HALF of what MFM wanted to charge. Billed for actual time, not what the computer said each individual part should take. Likewise, both our 6000 mile checks-ups were half of MFM prices.
Talk to Diane (service mgr) or Kevin at 336-765-0330. I am not affiliated with them in anyway other than believing that if you get poor customer service you should say so, and on the flip side, if you get great service, you should say it just as loud!

WackyDan
06-18-2012, 11:33 AM
I bought my RS from Lake Norman after working with Matthews Fun Machines and a dealer in Rock Hill that is now out of business. MFM wasn't too willing to work on price.. they were far higher than any other dealer. That is ok, if they are doing high volume, then they can charge what the local market is willing to pay. I would have gladly bought from them at $300 over as they are two miles from my house... but they were $1500 over.

As far as service.. seems it can be hit or miss by dealer depending on the issue, and time of year you need service. I have been very happy with Matthews Fun Machines for my service work on the Spyder. The rates have been in line and the work completed to the letter. I have been flexible with them and willing to leave it for the week when I needed some work done...they have been flexible in turn and have made exceptions to get my spyder in the shop sooner than later.... So as far as parts and service work that I need... No complaints... But I do most of the Spyder maintenance myself... and they know that. They will get a shot at my next Spyder or bike purchase and I think/hope now that they know me, they'll be willing to work with me to my satisfaction.

Lake Norman I used for service until my daughter was born... and at that point they were too far a ride and drive to drop off the bike... I was always happy with them as well... especially on the purchase price. Note... Lake Norman only sells BRP.... So, if I had to have a motor replaced or torn down, I'd probably trust them more than any other dealer... as they do that more often on the Rotax than a mixed brand dealer.

shelbydave
06-18-2012, 07:38 PM
I bought my RS from Lake Norman after working with Matthews Fun Machines and a dealer in Rock Hill that is now out of business. MFM wasn't too willing to work on price.. they were far higher than any other dealer. That is ok, if they are doing high volume, then they can charge what the local market is willing to pay. I would have gladly bought from them at $300 over as they are two miles from my house... but they were $1500 over.

As far as service.. seems it can be hit or miss by dealer depending on the issue, and time of year you need service. I have been very happy with Matthews Fun Machines for my service work on the Spyder. The rates have been in line and the work completed to the letter. I have been flexible with them and willing to leave it for the week when I needed some work done...they have been flexible in turn and have made exceptions to get my spyder in the shop sooner than later.... So as far as parts and service work that I need... No complaints... But I do most of the Spyder maintenance myself... and they know that. They will get a shot at my next Spyder or bike purchase and I think/hope now that they know me, they'll be willing to work with me to my satisfaction.

Lake Norman I used for service until my daughter was born... and at that point they were too far a ride and drive to drop off the bike... I was always happy with them as well... especially on the purchase price. Note... Lake Norman only sells BRP.... So, if I had to have a motor replaced or torn down, I'd probably trust them more than any other dealer... as they do that more often on the Rotax than a mixed brand dealer.

I wish I had known all this before I gave them a 2K deposit... Now it's been 2.5 weeks, and I still can't even get a definate date I can take delivery...

pslawing
06-18-2012, 09:09 PM
I purchased from lake norman Powersports last week got a great deal. MFM didn't even want to talk to me about about price. Very pleased so far

SpyderDuck
06-19-2012, 03:49 PM
I have dealt with most of the area dealers pretty extensively. (We have two RTs.) RPM in Albemarle (ask for the owner, Rick) has the best prices on bikes by far (even though I bought my RT limited in 2011 from Velocity Powersports in Charleston because they had it in stock to test drive. Nice people, big dealership, willing to work with you some.).

Matthews Fun Machines has really left a bad taste in my mouth. The service is always about 2x higher and while they are all nice guys, the company is not customer retention-oriented in sales or service. Service is completely separate from sales so even if you are there shopping for a second $23k bike, service will nickle and dime you with no regards to what's it costing their sales staff. (It cost them a $23k sale!) In the dozen times I have dealt with them for sales or service, it seems to be about "how much we can get from you... right this minute", forget about the long run. As the only service place in Charlotte (except Lake Norman Powersports which seems to be focused on watercraft more) they seem to think they have a monopoly and act like it. They're wrong.

The best place I have found for service is Honda of Winston Salem ( a huge Can-Am Dealer - http://www.hondaws.com/ (http://www.hondaws.com))Their service prices are half of MFM (at least) and the customer service is beyond belief. I drive both our bikes 200 miles round trip for the customer service and eagerness to earn our business. 2 Certified Can-Am Service techs and a huge focus on Spyders both in sales and service. I had all my lights installed there for HALF of what MFM wanted to charge. Billed for actual time, not what the computer said each individual part should take. Likewise, both our 6000 mile checks-ups were half of MFM prices.
Talk to Diane (service mgr) or Kevin at 336-765-0330. I am not affiliated with them in anyway other than believing that if you get poor customer service you should say so, and on the flip side, if you get great service, you should say it just as loud!

Well... I bought Clyde from Honda WS, and took him there for service, too... until they couldn't fix a transmission issue. I took Clyde back at least 3 times, and once they kept him a week, and STILL couldn't figure it out. I even printed a whole thread from here about tranny issues, and highlighted the causes everyone else had. Then, at the Owner's Event last year, BRP looked at it. It was a fix that a service bulletin had been issued for, and only took one ground wire, and 10 minutes to fix. Kurt immediately knew what the problem was, before even looking at the bike. It had been mentioned more than once in the thread I had printed. If that weren't enough, according to the records on my bike, they HAD PERFORMED THE FIX SEVERAL MONTHS BEFORE I HAD EVEN BOUGHT THE BIKE!!!. Well, needless to say, I lost all confidence in them at that point. Charging BRP for a service they didn't perform, then unable to locate the issue after I had HANDED them the answer? Nope, not going there any more.

But they were really nice every time I called them.

YMMV.

WingmanRT
06-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Well... I bought Clyde from Honda WS, and took him there for service, too... until they couldn't fix a transmission issue. I took Clyde back at least 3 times, and once they kept him a week, and STILL couldn't figure it out. I even printed a whole thread from here about tranny issues, and highlighted the causes everyone else had. Then, at the Owner's Event last year, BRP looked at it. It was a fix that a service bulletin had been issued for, and only took one ground wire, and 10 minutes to fix. Kurt immediately knew what the problem was, before even looking at the bike. It had been mentioned more than once in the thread I had printed. If that weren't enough, according to the records on my bike, they HAD PERFORMED THE FIX SEVERAL MONTHS BEFORE I HAD EVEN BOUGHT THE BIKE!!!. Well, needless to say, I lost all confidence in them at that point. Charging BRP for a service they didn't perform, then unable to locate the issue after I had HANDED them the answer? Nope, not going there any more.

Well, I can honestly say that I have never had a major issue, just maintenance and light installs so I can't address how they would handle major issues.. Any suggestions for service?

xdv10
06-20-2012, 10:57 AM
I got my rss at lake norman powersports for a smoking deal cheapest anywhere around that I could find.

SpyderDuck
06-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Well, I can honestly say that I have never had a major issue, just maintenance and light installs so I can't address how they would handle major issues.. Any suggestions for service?

Well, for my 6k service, I called around to get prices and see how long it would take. The dealers in Taylorsville, Lake Norman, and Honda WS all quoted about 300 bucks. Taylorsville wanted to keep Clyde for 3 days or so, Lake Norman 1 day or more, and Honda WS would make a definite appointment.

So, then I called East Tennessee ATV, a dealer that Lamont has mentioned favorably. Honda WS is a 1.5 hour ride for me, of pure boring interstate. Besides, I had lost confidence in them. ETN ATV quoted $150, and make appointments. They are a 2-hour ride away, but it is through the mountains, a much more pleasant ride. So I made an appointment. Our experience went like this:

My sister made an appointment also, and her hubby went with us on his Harley. Our appointments began at noon, so when we got there, we asked if there was a restaurant within walking distance for lunch. It was 95 degrees. Jason looked at us and said it was too far for anybody to walk on such a hot day, and gave sis and I a new RS off the lot to ride to lunch, telling us to go wherever we wanted, and to take our time. So, we enjoyed lunch and returned, then petted and talked to the on-site cockatoo who said "I love you" to get more attention, and our bikes were ready in a couple of hours. On the way home, our Harley man had forgotten to put in his earbuds, so we all pulled over, and sis noticed a part that was dangling from his bike. So we all went back to see if ETN ATV could help. They fixed the Harley in minutes, and didn't charge anything. A very positive experience.

And they even changed the spark plugs, something that other dealers usually don't do at 6k!

After that, if I have any questions, they are always eager to provide an answer. They know exactly what I ride, and even recognize my voice, although I have only called a handful of times. I now have a bald tire, and they squeezed me in for my 12k service early next week, although they are swamped with seadoo services right now. So I have no complaints at all, and recommend them to anyone I meet. It is also a family business, and I like that; businesses like that seem to take a bit more pride in themselves and their work.

If this ever changes, believe me, I'll let you folks know. But so far, East TN ATV has been great, and by far the most affordable. Of course, it would be a much longer ride for you, I guess. But, if it means anything, my sister is moving back to the east coast soon, and although she will actually be living at the coast, she is planning to take her spyder to ETN ATV for service if possible. I'm guessing that it'll be a 7-hour trip for her, one way, but she will probably plan her service visits to coincide with sister visits :)