PDA

View Full Version : 600 Maintenance?

danlnc
06-02-2012, 02:04 PM
I called three local dealers for prices for the first scheduled maintenance. 235.00, 260.00
and 205.00 + parts. Is this the going rate or should I shop more?

Grandpa Spyder
06-02-2012, 02:06 PM
I did my own oil & filters change and the 600 mile check up was just under a $100.00

harrypottar
06-02-2012, 02:11 PM
There is a little more than oil change I believe, check belt tension, check bolts etc

there is a good thread here (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?38512-600-mile-svc).

Waiting for my hitch to arrive at the dealer, bike as 800 miles on it now, just under 200 miles to get to the dealer, so I be at around 1000 miles for my first service.

Need to get the first service before I head to Americade on Friday, but need the hitch.... :gaah:

harry

vampyregirl
06-02-2012, 08:16 PM
I just had mine done and it cost $339. :yikes: I was hoping for about $100 less, but.... There were 5 Spyders in for service at the same time!!! I think they only have 1 tech that takes care of them, and we all showed up at once!! Including someone from Michigan that had the back fender torn off of theirs with the license plate still attached!!! It was at Honda East in Maumee, OH. Was is anyone here???

I'm definitely going to learn to do an oil change on my own. I do the oil changes on my Jeep, so this can't be too much harder!!! :doorag: I ain't afraid of gettin' dirty!!!! Plus, I'll wipe off any extra oil that spills on the bike...... :mad:

boborgera
06-02-2012, 08:38 PM
here???

I'm definitely going to learn to do an oil change on my own. I do the oil changes on my Jeep, so this can't be too much harder!!! :doorag: I ain't afraid of gettin' dirty!!!! Plus, I'll wipe off any extra oil that spills on the bike...... :mad:

When you do it your self, Take your time nobody is given out trophies for the fastest oil change. And most important Make sure you use the ''right tools'', [read some posts about that lately]
And remember;;
A ''really'' wise person learns from other peoples mistakes not their ''own'' mistakes.

Luckyme
06-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Just had my 600 mile service. Cost was $265.
I thought it was high, but was there only 2 hours, and all was well. It was worth the peace of mind. However, I will start changing my own oil, and just have any major services done at the dealer.

MrBones
06-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Just had mine done and it was 250. 100 for the change kit 105 for labor and can't remember what all is left. Probly tax and disposal fees.

mrfats
06-02-2012, 09:01 PM
My first was at about 900 miles and my second was close to 4000 miles. Both were about $155.00. I had an appointment and waited about 90 minutes to hit the road... I like to go to the dealer so he can hook up to Buds.

All Around
06-03-2012, 09:56 AM
I just did my first oil change yesterday. A little bit of a pain in the you know what. So many panles to take off:shocked:. I dont think I would reccomend this to a mech challenged person.

Luckyme
06-03-2012, 11:23 AM
I just did my first oil change yesterday. A little bit of a pain in the you know what. So many panles to take off:shocked:. I dont think I would reccomend this to a mech challenged person.

Uh, Oh. I guess I'll plan to keep going to the dealer.
Seems crazy to make an oil change so complicated, needing to remove so much Tupperware and all. I always changed the oil and diff. Fluid on my Goldwing. Was easy.
I may attempt it once, but from what I've read on the site, it seems a bit challenging.

NancysToy
06-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Uh, Oh. I guess I'll plan to keep going to the dealer.
Seems crazy to make an oil change so complicated, needing to remove so much Tupperware and all. I always changed the oil and diff. Fluid on my Goldwing. Was easy.
I may attempt it once, but from what I've read on the site, it seems a bit challenging.
It's not challenging, it just takes a little time and care. The panels and parts on a Spyder overlap, so things have to be removed and reinstalled in order, that's all. If you can change oil on a Wing, you can do it on a Spyder. Keep in mind, though, that there are more things involved at each maintenance interval than just an oil change. Some may require BUDS or special tools. Still, doing your own oil changes reduces maintenance costs if you must see the dealer, and it gets you up close and personal with your ride, so you can take better care of it, check it over carefully, and head off any budding issues. JMHO

Buttsy
06-03-2012, 12:16 PM
I think there is a "hidden" key in this whole thing. The use of the "Budds" system to perform updates and the such to the system. I just got mine done yesterday (600 mile) service. Now I spent a couple extra dollars on shiny stuff but the actual fee for the service was $ 193.00 taxes in with parts included. We pay 13% HST so do the math, remember mine is the manual transmission so a few less parts for sure.

For me at $ 193.00 every 7500kms .....................I think I get the dealer to complete the task? They hooked up the Budds and it ran a couple of updates on it so this is a hidden value that you absolutely cannot complete without the dealer? I appreciate each service interval can include different items which will affect the price.

I will continue like all my other toys to complete modifications and accessories on my own but really the dealer in my case is just not that far out of line? Let them get down on their knees and get there hands filthy...:thumbup:

PS: Got home and chopped 4.5 inches off my windshield..............much better. I know there are conflicting opinions on this but I do not like to look through a plastic windshield, especially if it is raining like my trek home from the dealer yesterday!

Cheers

cdavid
06-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I just had mine done and it cost $339. :yikes: I was hoping for about $100 less, but.... There were 5 Spyders in for service at the same time!!! I think they only have 1 tech that takes care of them, and we all showed up at once!! Including someone from Michigan that had the back fender torn off of theirs with the license plate still attached!!! It was at Honda East in Maumee, OH. Was is anyone here???

Hey Vampyregirl,

I was at Honda East on Thursday to pick up the GPS harness I ordered. I saw 4 or 5 Spyders sitting in the service area. I'm scheduled for the 600 mile service this next Wednesday (06/06). I'll keep an eye out to meet you someday. I'm in Waterville.

David

steve635
06-03-2012, 02:35 PM
"I think there is a "hidden" key in this whole thing. The use of the "Budds" system to perform updates and the such to the system."

That's why I went to the dealer for my 600 mile service. I think long term I will do most of the oil changes myself, but will bring it in to the dealer for significant mileage interval service.

Dudley
06-03-2012, 03:32 PM

I remove the panel for the oil check, the lower black panel, and the one above the black panel. Also the plate under the engine. I do not remove the mirrors or any other panels.

NancysToy
06-03-2012, 05:29 PM
I remove the panel for the oil check, the lower black panel, and the one above the black panel. Also the plate under the engine. I do not remove the mirrors or any other panels.
I remove all the panels. I want to look everything over real good, check fasteners tightness, hose integrity, belt tension and condition, oil the shift linkage, etc. I can't do that too well with the panels on...and changing oil without that, with the Spyder sitting on the ground, is a hassle.

Daisyjoe
06-03-2012, 08:42 PM
$265 in South Georgia:wrong: You gotta do what you gotta do :gaah: Bite the bullet and keep on riding:yes::yes:

Diamond R
06-03-2012, 09:11 PM
I had mine done yesterday in Granbury Texas, $290.00, sounds like a pretty average cost. I had thought about changing the oil myself. I dont know enough about my :spyder2: just yet to be working on it, and mine needed a minor adjustment to the belt. I would rather ride it than work on it.

enjoy the ride
Allen & Patti

Tierhog
06-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Mine was 0.00
I am doing the 12k in increments now.
As much as we dread the panels, keep this in mind....
When the bike is naked, do it all
Air cleaner
Coolant
Oil
Plugs
Wires

vampyregirl
06-04-2012, 07:56 PM
When you do it your self, Take your time nobody is given out trophies for the fastest oil change. And most important Make sure you use the ''right tools'', [read some posts about that lately]
And remember;;
A ''really'' wise person learns from other peoples mistakes not their ''own'' mistakes.

Amen to that!!!! I'll be following tips from here when it comes time!!!

I think once I change the oil myself a few times, I'll just get more efficient about it. That's what happened with my Jeep. The first oil change was a pain in the butt!!! After that, I just got better and better at it. Only takes about 20 mins now!! :thumbup:

bo9roadking
06-07-2012, 02:51 PM
I just had my 600 mile service done and it was almost $400. According to my receipt, the tech charged 3.5 hours labor plus parts.

After reading what others are paying for the 600 mile service, I think my dealer is high. I don't know if the tech is inexperienced and taking longer to do the service or if he is going over everything with a fine tooth comb. I know the Can-Am products are fairly new for this dealer, so maybe the tech wants to make sure he is doing everything correctly.

I would think that Can-Am would have a service manual with labor rates for each service to give the dealer an idea of how much labor to charge for a task. Either some dealerships are short cutting the service or my dealer is taking too long and charging me extra labor.

boborgera
06-07-2012, 04:30 PM
I would think that Can-Am would have a service manual with labor rates for each service to give the dealer an idea of how much labor to charge for a task. Either some dealerships are short cutting the service or my dealer is taking too long and charging me extra labor.

My money is on the short cutters' In business time is money unless the mechanic is working out of his back yard.

whiskey41
06-25-2012, 04:45 PM
2011 RT-S SE5 1000 km (600 mile) service: $490 CAN!!

Other than the oil change and belt tension, mostly to check if the dealer prep. I paid for 2 months ago was done properly...

And $4k more purchase price than you folks in the good ole' USA pay....

And made in Canada, by a company receiving tax incentives (me paying AGAIN) to be in business...

I think I need a different lubricant....*sigh*

But I am *sure* the service will be top notch, as I had to convince the parts guy that there are 2 oil filters...."No, really. Here is the part number. Oh, well look at that?" :shocked:

boborgera
06-25-2012, 05:34 PM
2011 RT-S SE5 1000 km (600 mile) service: $490 CAN!!

Other than the oil change and belt tension, mostly to check if the dealer prep. I paid for 2 months ago was done properly...

And $4k more purchase price than you folks in the good ole' USA pay....

And made in Canada, by a company receiving tax incentives (me paying AGAIN) to be in business...

I think I need a different lubricant....*sigh*

But I am *sure* the service will be top notch, as I had to convince the parts guy that there are 2 oil filters...."No, really. Here is the part number. Oh, well look at that?" :shocked:

Hey at least the Lubricants are free,
Down here in the States we have to pay for our Lubricants.;)
;):rolleyes:

Jbiancolli
06-25-2012, 07:10 PM
188.00 total. Also completed 3 service bulletins. Charged only 1 1/2 hours labor