PDA

View Full Version : Speed bumps.....who's clearing them???

Kratos
06-01-2012, 08:18 PM
On my first day out, I already scraped the front bumper going into my parents driveway (yes I tried a diagonal entrance). The front end is LOW to the ground. It made me start to think of speed bumps. I wonder if the Spyder can go over them without scraping or bending the front??? Does everyone clear speed bumps ok?

On a side note....I picked Magnesium! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
06-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Speed bumps are a common hazard with the Spyder. Beware!

Magnesium is a good color.

harrypottar
06-01-2012, 08:25 PM
You may already know but if not take a look at spyderpops critter splitter skid plate.

Just what you need

Harry

samewok
06-01-2012, 08:27 PM
THe spyderpops skid plate will help with the driveway.
I clear every speed bump so far.
You will still have trouble with the driveway hitting.

Kratos
06-01-2012, 08:32 PM
You may already know but if not take a look at spyderpops critter splitter skid plate.

Just what you need

Harry

No, I didn't know. LOL. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna look that up now! I got to figure this out, because my town is full of the steep slope entrances into businesses that will demolish this Spyder's front end! :shocked:

bone crusher
06-01-2012, 08:37 PM
The spyder is fine with speed bumps and speed humps...just approach them at an appropriate speed. I think I've only bottomed out once or twice...but it wasn't the bump, it was my overly aggressive speed hitting it.

Kratos
06-01-2012, 08:48 PM
The spyder is fine with speed bumps and speed humps...just approach them at an appropriate speed. I think I've only bottomed out once or twice...but it wasn't the bump, it was my overly aggressive speed hitting it.

Thanks, that good to know. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to go around the shools or hospital with the Spyder.

Dwanton
06-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Congradulations , and what was the deciding factor choosing the color ?

And yes , make sure if you think your gonna hit , take it on an angle .

Learned my lesson as you did - first couple days , hit friends driveway pulling in .

I put a piece of door edge guard around the lower lip of my spyder .

pro10is
06-01-2012, 08:58 PM

Just what you need

Harry

Won't the spyderpops plate just hit and get scraped up like the OEM plate? :dontknow:

Dwanton
06-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Won't the spyderpops plate just hit and get scraped up like the OEM plate? :dontknow:

They must have forgotten to put an oem plate on my RSS - just open under mine .

harrypottar
06-01-2012, 09:17 PM

It will still hit but made to with stand hits better than what's there already

Dual purpose, functions as a bumper and skid plate with the look of a stylish spoiler. Your worries are over, no more expensive paint damage. No more dangerous evasive moves to miss roadkill or tire treads and if a live small critter jumps out in front of you, well you know.
Made from 3/8” black HDPE (High Density Polyethylene), tough and slick. Replaces that tiny skid plate that lets you tear up your body.
It attaches to the lower flexible area for impact absorption without damaging the body. Ground clearance is not a problem due to the thin profile. It protects everything from the nose to the suspension.
The coverage eliminates air drag from the open cavity under the nose. Added down force is created by the spoiler styling.
Very easy to install with all hardware and instructions included.
Harry

kevorama
06-01-2012, 09:25 PM
True, SpyderPops Skid Bump will help, unfortunately, it also lowers your front end clearance by an inch or so. I have one and love it. The solution? Elka Shocks (+ SpyderPops Possum Pusher, sorry Harvey :joke:). I know you just purchased a new Spyder and the last thing that you should need is new shocks. Most of us have been there. The Elka's will raise the front end of your bike over the stock height. You'll also appreciate the noticeable difference in ryde and handling. I actually waited until I had 3,000 miles on mine before I had the Elka Stage One's installed. Man, what a difference! The main man from Elka is John a.k.a. Trooper on SpyderLover's. Ask anyone that has them or contact him by private message or search Elka Shocks for threads. They're very reasonable and fairly easy to install and adjust on the fly.
I hope this helps a bit. :thumbup:

retread
06-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Where are your front shocks set? If they're too soft, it'll sit LOW.

john

Jeriatric
06-01-2012, 09:30 PM

While my nose clearance is actually less since I added Spyderpops plate, your comment makes perfect sense. That said, I would rather tear it up than my Spyder. :D

JCSMOKE
06-01-2012, 09:35 PM
I've tried jumping them, it doesn't really work out all that well

boborgera
06-01-2012, 09:36 PM

That's the purpose of a skid plate,
Takes the hit and saves the more important $$ parts $$ from damage.

kevorama
06-01-2012, 09:38 PM
If you keep hitting it you will tear up the nose. I have the RTS and the bolt config is a little different than the RS, I believe. On the Possum Pusher for the RT/RTS there are only four bolts that screw into the frame area, two underneath each winglet. The other 8 have to be drilled and J-nutted into the actual nose piece. So, there are 8 areas that could be potential tear/rip or shatter points. Still, I wouldn't give mine up for anything. It's a tough piece of material, but constant battering will cause something to give. Since installing SpyderPops Bump Skid and the Elka's I haven't scraped a speed bump yet. I have been in situations where there's nothing you can do to keep from hitting at severe angles. There's no product for the Spyder that will prevent that.

Kratos
06-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Congradulations , and what was the deciding factor choosing the color ?

And yes , make sure if you think your gonna hit , take it on an angle .

Learned my lesson as you did - first couple days , hit friends driveway pulling in .

I put a piece of door edge guard around the lower lip of my spyder .

I really can't say what made me decide magnesium. Just one of those gut spur of the moment decisions. It just "felt" like the one. Don't know why, just did.

Kratos
06-01-2012, 09:55 PM
True, SpyderPops Skid Bump will help, unfortunately, it also lowers your front end clearance by an inch or so. I have one and love it. The solution? Elka Shocks (+ SpyderPops Possum Pusher, sorry Harvey :joke:). I know you just purchased a new Spyder and the last thing that you should need is new shocks. Most of us have been there. The Elka's will raise the front end of your bike over the stock height. You'll also appreciate the noticeable difference in ryde and handling. I actually waited until I had 3,000 miles on mine before I had the Elka Stage One's installed. Man, what a difference! The main man from Elka is John a.k.a. Trooper on SpyderLover's. Ask anyone that has them or contact him by private message or search Elka Shocks for threads. They're very reasonable and fairly easy to install and adjust on the fly.
I hope this helps a bit. :thumbup:

Wow....paid 3K more for the color and better shocks....and they need changing to different shocks...:banghead:

So the better deal is just a plain RS with a shock upgrade...:sour:..oh how we learn "after" the fact....

Kratos
06-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Another side not....I think I'm gonna buy the juice box next week. My take off is a little sluggish with the hmf pipe (but she sure sounds good though!!!). Maybe I need to give the computer a little more time though. She may adjust a little to the extra flow.

pro10is
06-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Wow....paid 3K more for the color and better shocks....and they need changing to different shocks...:banghead:

So the better deal is just a plain RS with a shock upgrade...:sour:..oh how we learn "after" the fact....

No freakin' way! Your RS-S gives you so many advantages over the RS. The awesome six spoke black front wheels, the black rear wheel, the black body panels and handle bar console, the seat upgrade, the incredible two tone paint, the painted spoiler, the RS-S graphics, it all looks soooo much better than the base RS. It's the meanest looking Spyder since the Phantom!

The Fox shocks are arguably just as good as the Stage 1 Elkas but if you'd rather have Elkas you could simply sell your Fox shocks for about $300 in no time in the classified section of this forum and then buy a set of Elkas.

You made an excellent choice with the RS-S. So c'mon, don't worry, be happy!

kevorama
06-01-2012, 10:25 PM
My bad, I thought he was on stock shocks. I didn't realize he was on the FOX. They are good, I agree. I just wonder when BRP is going to start offering more of these as options instead of having to continually come into SL to find out what someone else has done to make it so much better. Elka is just down the road from BRP in Canada and as far as I know, they haven't even talked with them about coming together on a project.

Bob Denman
06-02-2012, 08:41 AM
No doubt; the :spyder2: do sit a bit low to the ground... Makes them ready to STRIKE! I've had no problem with speed bumps as of yet with my RT, but I always give them the respect that they require for safe navigation...

SPYDERPOPS
06-02-2012, 09:42 AM
It's my understanding that Elka's do not raise the front of an RS like it does the RT. At least mine isn't any higher!

I truly love my Elka's, especially having the rear shock also. I was going across a parking lot with multiple speed bumps and desisted to go at speed. The results were great as the speed gave the shocks resistance to react as designed. With high performance shocks going slow does not make them work.

I have experienced this with my Commander with the Fox shocks. Go slow over a rocky trail and they will jar your teeth out, speed up and it smooths out.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?rl4kxk

bignose13
06-02-2012, 01:50 PM
you made the right choice..they are sooo much better....but i'm not biased ..really :-)

bone crusher
06-02-2012, 02:17 PM

I saw the other replies to this, but anything that further lowers the clearance on the bottom is going to take more of a beating if it gets whacked...that energy will get transmitted into your other plastic parts...likely making it a greater chance for you have damage than if you didn't hit anything at all...

Kratos
06-02-2012, 02:24 PM
So basically after reading all the posts, there is no way to make the RS taller. Well, I'll just have to avoid slopy entrances and try to find another way into places. Good thing is I live in a small town and there is usally more than one way into anything, so I'll manage. I would dread having the Spyder in a big city though. My experiences there are that 1 way is usually the only way! lol