PDA

View Full Version : Hope for the spinal cord injuries!

docdoru
06-01-2012, 04:50 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/31/us-paralysis-rats-idUSBRE84U11G20120531

Jeriatric
06-01-2012, 05:51 PM
"very few human spinal cord injuries are the result of a direct cut through the cord, which is what the rats had. Human injuries are most often the result of bruising or compression and it is unclear if the technique could be translated across to this type of injury."

Bob Denman
06-02-2012, 09:17 AM
...But it's a start! Thanks Doc! :thumbup:

SethO
06-02-2012, 11:02 AM
rat trials are somewhat misleading but there is a big shift in the field from stem cells to electric implants that can move muscle groups but need to be refine to to individual muscles. Believe me I would do ANYTHING that had a chance of making me human again.

thanks doc.

Bob Denman
06-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Seth,
I think that you're more alive than 90% of the rest of us... :thumbup:

ISCI Billy
06-08-2012, 02:33 PM
rat trials are somewhat misleading but there is a big shift in the field from stem cells to electric implants that can move muscle groups but need to be refine to to individual muscles. Believe me I would do ANYTHING that had a chance of making me human again.

thanks doc.

Seth,
Like I told you at Spyder Fest "Let It Roll!" you are a good man.

Bob Denman
06-08-2012, 02:46 PM
:agree::2thumbs:

bruisersbaby
06-08-2012, 08:28 PM
It absolutely amazes me that every day we hear of new breakthroughs in medicine. Even though just tested on rats right now, how many of our procedures are now being used that had been researched on lab animals first. I had a kidney transplant almost 5 years ago, and this is becoming almost a routine operation.

Haven't met you yet, Seth, but from what I read, you are a great person!!

Bob Denman
06-09-2012, 08:04 AM
:shocked: My Missus had a new kidney installed six years ago this past January... It is amazing what they can do today! :thumbup:
She's on ProGraf and Cellcept for immunosuppressants; what are they giving you? Her current creatinine level is running right about 1.3; so far... so good!

bruiser
06-09-2012, 04:45 PM
:shocked: My Missus had a new kidney installed six years ago this past January... It is amazing what they can do today! :thumbup:
She's on ProGraf and Cellcept for immunosuppressants; what are they giving you? Her current creatinine level is running right about 1.3; so far... so good!

She's right about 1 1/2 years ahead of me!! I'm on the Prograf as well, but my doctor prefers the Myfortic. I have a very low white count, and the Cellcept seemed to pull it down even more. My creatnine level is between 0.9 and 1.2. Mine was caused from a rare auto-immune disease - Wegener's Granulomotosis. Give your wife a hug from me!! ;)

bruisersbaby
06-09-2012, 04:49 PM
She's right about 1 1/2 years ahead of me!! I'm on the Prograf as well, but my doctor prefers the Myfortic. I have a very low white count, and the Cellcept seemed to pull it down even more. My creatnine level is between 0.9 and 1.2. Mine was caused from a rare auto-immune disease - Wegener's Granulomotosis. Give your wife a hug from me!! ;)

Hope I didn't confuse you, Bob. I was signed in on Bruiser's account!!! :duh:

Bob Denman
06-10-2012, 07:47 AM
:shocked: Me confused?? :roflblack: I've got it straight now... :thumbup:
It sounds as if you've got the situation pretty well under control... I hadn't heard of Myfortic before; Thanks for that info! :thumbup: Her WBC is in the basement also and she's on REALLY low doses of the these scripts. Maybe it'll give her another option that'll fit better.

SethO
06-13-2012, 05:39 AM
Seth,
I think that you're more alive than 90% of the rest of us... :thumbup:

Seth,
Like I told you at Spyder Fest "Let It Roll!" you are a good man.

thanks but I should be doing more, frustration is not a big enough word for this. I should wish, for everyone that is jacked up like this or worse that they could figure it out.

mooneych
06-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Yeah, those implants do marvelous things...I feel like I need one installed in my brain sometimes. :)

Bob Denman
06-14-2012, 02:40 PM
How'd you get a brain and I didn't? :shocked: :gaah: :roflblack: