PDA

View Full Version : A Front Tire Story

3whlLefty
05-30-2012, 11:18 PM
Based on the info here about front tires I went to Discount Tire to mount Falken 512's in 185/60-14 on the front of my 09 RS. Set up in front of the OEM's they looked quite a bit bigger. Yikes! We decided to give it a try. I have the optional 6 spoke design wheels. When removing the tire the paddle that slips in and pulls the tire off the wheel was going to get caught on the chrome studs that decorate the outer edge of the rim. Not good! The studs look like they take an allen wrench and sure enough, we could unscrew them. A little tedious but it worked. The brushed bright metal spokes also extend right out to the edge of the rim and are raised a couple mm. The tire paddle caught them a bit too but we went ahead and it didn't seem to damage the spokes. They probably grooved the rubber covering of the paddle though.

Remounting was a bit tricky. I used a thin screwdriver to pry the rear edge of the fender over the tire tread while the tech worked it into place. We spun the wheel and all seemed well except to a small thump on each revolution. Hmmm! Finally noticed that the balance weights were scraping the bottom ball joint nut. Moved them a half inch further out from center and all was well. Balancing beads would avoid this all together. The 2nd wheel went much better. I set the pressure at 18 psi as a starting point.

The trip home was about 20 miles so not a great test but the dancing over road seams appears to be much improved. A couple days ago I set the preload on the front to the 2nd notch from the most firm. The front feels a bit higher and firmer with the new tires too. I may need to raise the rear a step or 2 now too.

Now I'll have to experiment with tire pressures and watch for the inner wear that the OEM's had a serious case of. Most of the right one was down to the wear bars at 9500 miles. Now it's time to RYDE!! :yes::yes:

ThreeFeet
05-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Based on the info here about front tires I went to Discount Tire to mount Falken 512's in 185/60-14 on the front of my 09 RS. Set up in front of the OEM's they looked quite a bit bigger. Yikes! We decided to give it a try. I have the optional 6 spoke design wheels. When removing the tire the paddle that slips in and pulls the tire off the wheel was going to get caught on the chrome studs that decorate the outer edge of the rim. Not good! The studs look like they take an allen wrench and sure enough, we could unscrew them. A little tedious but it worked. The brushed bright metal spokes also extend right out to the edge of the rim and are raised a couple mm. The tire paddle caught them a bit too but we went ahead and it didn't seem to damage the spokes. They probably grooved the rubber covering of the paddle though.

Remounting was a bit tricky. I used a thin screwdriver to pry the rear edge of the fender over the tire tread while the tech worked it into place. We spun the wheel and all seemed well except to a small thump on each revolution. Hmmm! Finally noticed that the balance weights were scraping the bottom ball joint nut. Moved them a half inch further out from center and all was well. Balancing beads would avoid this all together. The 2nd wheel went much better. I set the pressure at 18 psi as a starting point.

The trip home was about 20 miles so not a great test but the dancing over road seams appears to be much improved. A couple days ago I set the preload on the front to the 2nd notch from the most firm. The front feels a bit higher and firmer with the new tires too. I may need to raise the rear a step or 2 now too.

Now I'll have to experiment with tire pressures and watch for the inner wear that the OEM's had a serious case of. Most of the right one was down to the wear bars at 9500 miles. Now it's time to RYDE!! :yes::yes: I had an 09 RS and the front tires had to be replaced at 6000 mi. The wear on the inside was really bad. Soo finally got it ALIGNED. The thing came from the factory out of alignment. I've had trailers that were the same way. Check alignment if you are haveing wear on the inside.

ThreeWheels
05-31-2012, 03:36 AM
I had an 09 RS and the front tires had to be replaced at 6000 mi. The wear on the inside was really bad. Soo finally got it ALIGNED. The thing came from the factory out of alignment. I've had trailers that were the same way. Check alignment if you are haveing wear on the inside.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE.

Dancing on the road ? That shouldn't happen.

rnet
05-31-2012, 06:06 AM
Never used that particular tire, but in that size the trick is to adjust the fender out and always use thin wheel weights on your wheels. Also I think you will find yourself running a higher psi. We are still experimenting here in the shop, but I am running 28 psi with the General Altimax.

3whlLefty
05-31-2012, 11:38 AM
I had an 09 RS and the front tires had to be replaced at 6000 mi. The wear on the inside was really bad. Soo finally got it ALIGNED. The thing came from the factory out of alignment. I've had trailers that were the same way. Check alignment if you are haveing wear on the inside.

This alignment has been checked by one dealer already in AZ. I'm now over 100m from a dealer so I don't pop down there freely. I keep thinking that an auto alignment shop should be able to do this but no one seems to have found a way. Maybe because the Spyder is so narrow. On another thread some people thought that camber was the real issue. We are on our own with that one. BRP says it's not adjustable. I'm watching and waiting for the next steps.