PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a Spyder, need advice...

Kratos
05-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Hi guys,

I'll be purchasing a Spyder Friday and I'm very excited. I've been researching old threads on this forum for hours and hours trying to get as much info as possible. After reading several threads on Hindle vs other exhausts, I've learned that the Hindle is not as loud as others, which is good, but I read that some are having rattling noises and it falls apart over time. HMF pipe has a few threads on it and seems to be a rising star, but haven't read anything on its volume. I like a good sounding pipe, just don't want it obnoxious to people. Is the HMF louder than the Hindle? I may get it since it's a lot cheaper. Just hope I don't need a juice box....I've read mixed reviews on that. Seems every bike is different.

Thanks guys.

Phil
05-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Welcome Kratos!!
I'm an RT guy so can't help. Just wanted you to know that you WILL get answers!!

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad3.5 using Tapatalk HD

Kratos
05-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Thanks Phil. After reading the threads from the past, I saw that this forum has a lot of great and nice people that help a lot. I already know I'm gonna love it here. :-)

Arr MiHardies
05-30-2012, 12:56 AM
Out of curiosity, why are you wanting a new exhaust? I think the stock is quieter than the Hindle

Kratos
05-30-2012, 01:10 AM
Out of curiosity, why are you wanting a new exhaust? I think the stock is quieter than the Hindle

I guess I didn't word my post right. Sorry. I want a nice growling exhaust that makes the Spyder sound mean. And I want it to be louder than stock, just not obnoxious that would annoy people. I've done a lot of reading and the hindle is supposed to fit this category (louder and strong sounding, but not too loud and annoying). I've also read good reviews on the hmf and am really interested in it. Just no one has commented on how loud it is. Like I said, I don't mind it being louder than stock, just don't want to annoy others. There's a limit....

ARtraveler
05-30-2012, 01:19 AM
:welcome:

arntufun
05-30-2012, 03:03 AM
I guess I didn't word my post right. Sorry. I want a nice growling exhaust that makes the Spyder sound mean. And I want it to be louder than stock, just not obnoxious that would annoy people. I've done a lot of reading and the hindle is supposed to fit this category (louder and strong sounding, but not too loud and annoying). I've also read good reviews on the hmf and am really interested in it. Just no one has commented on how loud it is. Like I said, I don't mind it being louder than stock, just don't want to annoy others. There's a limit....

Watch video. This will show you what it will sound like on the Spyder. I have the HMF and I love this pipe for the money it costs. The Two brothers dual IMO sounds the best, but it's also one of the most expensive. You will be happy with the HMF. :thumbup:

What is wrong with annoying people, I do it all the time. :doorag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ-w6ipx1tQ&feature=player_detailpage

stutzmason
05-30-2012, 03:25 AM
... loud but not too obnoxious ... love the sound ....
http://youtu.be/AS-UPXGNId8 i have passenger floorboards so I removed the offending heat shields that tended to rattle ... I also removed the baffle ... wasn't real easy to remove but it opens the growl up a little .... the only thing I did put on was the o2 sensor mod to alleviate the popping at decel. No juicebox or power commander needed for my spyder. I will however run this hindle til I need a new exhaust and get one that is a bit louder next time( the hindle was on the spyder when I bought it). HMF is definately one that is on my list to check out when the time comes for a new can.

J. Mark
05-30-2012, 04:51 AM
Don't have an answer on the muffler issue....but wanted to welcome you to the Spyder family!

mastertek2000
05-30-2012, 05:03 AM
i picked up HMF pipe programer and K&N filter for about $700 on eBay it was a kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HMF-Can-Am-BRP-Spyder-RS-08-12-Slip-On-Carbon-Fiber-Exhaust-EFI-K-N-Filter-/221032588693?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337691a595&vxp=mtr

HMF louder than the Hindle this pipe sounds greattttttttttttt

Bob Denman
05-30-2012, 06:41 AM
:welcome: Why not take some time with your new pride and joy before diving into the "Farkle Bin" and coming up with all those accessories? Some time and perspective will help you decide what needs to be changed. :thumbup:

wyliec
05-30-2012, 07:39 AM
:welcome: Why not take some time with your new pride and joy before diving into the "Farkle Bin" and coming up with all those accessories? Some time and perspective will help you decide what needs to be changed. :thumbup:

:agree:

If you have a significant other that will be riding with you, you may want to get the SO's opinion also. I purchased a muffler from one of the site's sponsors and didn't discuss with the gf. Instead I purchased mutt muffs for our dog and approached it that way. She rode once after the install and asked to have the stock muffler back on.:dontknow: Plus the mutt muffs were more an irritant to the dog and the muffs went also. I only paid $295 for the muffler and sold it for around $100; the mutt muffs are still collecting dust.

By the way, welcome aboard.

Kratos
05-30-2012, 08:21 AM
Watch video. This will show you what it will sound like on the Spyder. I have the HMF and I love this pipe for the money it costs. The Two brothers dual IMO sounds the best, but it's also one of the most expensive. You will be happy with the HMF. :thumbup:

What is wrong with annoying people, I do it all the time. :doorag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ-w6ipx1tQ&feature=player_detailpage

That sounds AWESOME! I know loud is a "relative" term and can't really be described over the internet. But do you think "generally" it will be acceptable and not annoying?

hrbeta
05-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Have the HMF and EVO O2 modifier, great combo. I'm very happy with it. 😊

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kratos
05-30-2012, 09:11 AM
What vendor on here is best for me to talk to on ordering these parts...pipe, jb, filter?

Huntindawg1962
05-30-2012, 09:15 AM
I would suggest actually hearing the exhaust if you are set on modifying the stock to some after market. When I was buying the 2011RT, I looked at one that had one of the aftermarket systems. Sounded neat at idle while standing there listening to it. But when I was on the road driving it, the machine sounded like, well, just another spyder. No mean growl, nothing.

Dragonrider
05-30-2012, 09:28 AM
I had a Hindle on my RS, and currently prefer the Yosh - looks better, priced about the same, nice sound, but QUIET! It's a very expensive ticket out here to be caught with a loud pipe… in some states you get the ticket if you don't have the proper stamp on it.

Kratos
05-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Well I bought the HMF. It'll be here tomorrow! I think it'll work out. If it doesn't sound like I want it to, or runs badly, I'll just pop the stocker back on....so I'm not gonna sweat it. Thanks guys for all the responses! :thumbup: