PDA

View Full Version : CEL at 12K feet

jfischer
05-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Took my 2012 Spyder RT for a ride on Saturday over Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. For those unfamiliar, it tops out at 12,200 feet. About a mile from the summit, the Check Engine light came on and started flashing on the display. Since it was running OK, and it was 38 degrees and 40 MPH winds I decided to push on. I am guessing that the extreme altitude either messed with the O2 readings, or possibly the air pressure in the gas tank got whacked. According to the web site, you gain 4,000 feet in elevation in a matter of minutes on this road.

Anyway, once we started down the light went off at about timberline (11,000 feet) and stayed off. Anyone else ever had this happen at very high altitude?

Bob Denman
05-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Your Spyder needed to catch its breath... :shocked:

Oldmanzues
05-29-2012, 10:24 AM
The altitude question is interesting. Trail ridge is also interesting. I rode it 30 years ago when I was stantioned in Denver. Did they ever put guardrail up ?
pics would be nice if you took any.
Oldmanzues

jfischer
05-29-2012, 10:35 AM
The altitude question is interesting. Trail ridge is also interesting. I rode it 30 years ago when I was stantioned in Denver. Did they ever put guardrail up ?
pics would be nice if you took any.
Oldmanzues

It was way too cold to stop and take pictures. We will probably ride it again in August :) Don't recall whether there were guard rails or not, but I never had any serious pucker factor on the road, just when the CEL came on :)