PDA

View Full Version : Day two 360 Miles

All Around
05-29-2012, 12:25 AM
Ok so I have had the Spyder now for two days. I put on 360 miles. While 355. It had five on it. Anyway I see what people are saying about giving it a few miles to get used to it. We just had our best ride yet. So far half the time has been solo and the other half while :duh: with a passenger. Anyway still a little shaky o turns. I know you ar not sopossed to lean on the spyders but I cant help it. The problem I have is I dont know that I may be making it harder then it has to be. This last ride I tried to not lean as much as possible. Do you guys lean on turns or not. Anyway Its just gets better and better. Very happy:spyder2: rider.

ARtraveler
05-29-2012, 12:37 AM
I lean into turns to follow the g forces. Others also suggest snugging the knees against the tank area and planting the feet good. Entering the turn from the apex side and running to the other side during the turn also reduces g forces.

78OldRide
05-29-2012, 12:39 AM
I belive if you watch the spyder video on riding you and the co rider should both lean into the turn.
I have had mine foe 2 months RTSE5 and the wife and i both love it.
Gary

mastertek2000
05-29-2012, 05:35 AM
yes watch the video and take your time you will do fine and enjoy it

harrypottar
05-29-2012, 05:37 AM
:congrats::welcome:

Depending on how fast I hit the corner, I some times lean slightly forward and into the turn.

Also gently push on the steering, no need to hold on tight a light grip I have found to be best. Obviously not too light, keep the spyder under control.

I put over 700 miles in 7 days, it gets better and better, need my first service now

Harry

NancysToy
05-29-2012, 07:09 AM
Who says you are not supposed to lean? For the best cornering and your own comfort, leaning helps a lot. The Spyder doesn't lean, you do. I tell people to try to kiss their inside hand during a turn. That is an exaggeration, but it give you the idea. Leaning into the turn is both natural and helpful. You might also want to look at your tire pressure and your front suspension preload settings. The factory recommendations are a bit soft for many riders. Adding a bit more air, and raising the spring preload a notch or two will reduce body roll, and require you to lean less. I run 17-18 psi up front (many use 20) and #4-5 on the shocks. It makes a difference.

bo9roadking
05-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Who says you are not supposed to lean? For the best cornering and your own comfort, leaning helps a lot. The Spyder doesn't lean, you do. I tell people to try to kiss their inside hand during a turn. That is an exaggeration, but it give you the idea. Leaning into the turn is both natural and helpful. You might also want to look at your tire pressure and your front suspension preload settings. The factory recommendations are a bit soft for many riders. Adding a bit more air, and raising the spring preload a notch or two will reduce body roll, and require you to lean less. I run 17-18 psi up front (many use 20) and #4-5 on the shocks. It makes a difference.

:agree: I find that when I lean my head and upper body toward my hand on the inside turn, it helps tremendously. As I pull the handlebar towards me to make a turn, I start to move my head towards that hand. It is amazing how well it works and you don't have to make an exaggerated movement unless you are taking corners really fast. Not only does this help with offsetting the g-forces, you start to lean as you move your head towards your hand and that lowers your center of gravity for even better cornering.

I have the Elka stage 1+ shocks on order, but for now, I have the factory shocks set at 5 for the maximum stiffness. I have the rear shock adjusted to 3 or 4 depending on if I have a passenger. I'm running 20 psi in the front tires and I think I have 30 psi in the back tire.

The more you ride and get the hang of it, the more fun it will be. :thumbup: You will get more confident with the corners.