PDA

View Full Version : THANK GOD FOR 3 WHEELS

KAUBOY
05-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Returning home from Sunday breakfast in Kailua Kona, we were having intercom problems. The wife yelled for me to pull over when it was safe. I thought she wanted to fix the intercom. Before I could pull over I saw her helmet drop by my right knee as she started off the bike. I grabbed her jacket collar and jerked her back up and sort of back armed her against the corbin trunk while I pulled to the side of the road. She was out cold. I pinned her aginst the trunk while I dialed 911. After the ambulance ride to the hospital it turned out to be a bad case of dehydration and maybe a little left over from a bout with the flu a week ago. 3 hours in the ER and a ride from a neighbor for her,(she wanted to ride home on the Spyder) we were home and all is well.

If I had bought the Victory Vison I originally looked at...we would have dumped it for sure. Planning our next ride to the Four Seasons on Tuesday. Did I say that she's a trooper?

Now I'm thinking that armrests for the RS might be my next purchase. At 70 and 63 we don't mend as quick as we used to.

Any ideas for armrests?

mastertek2000
05-28-2012, 09:39 PM
wow hope all works out for you send her my best

SpyderAnn01
05-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Wow, I'm so glad you were able to catch her. As for armrests, a site sponsor Diamond R makes excellent ones for the RT but I'm not sure if they have any for the RS.

You might want to get a cupholder for her so she can carry water with or something like a camelback. Take care of her and ride safe.

harrypottar
05-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Glad you're both ok, ride safe

Harry

spyder3
05-28-2012, 09:48 PM
+1

CyncySpyder
05-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Glad you're both ok, ride safeHarry

:pray: :agree: :pray:

MikeinGA
05-28-2012, 10:07 PM
You did a great job of riding and saved her life. Good to hear that everything out for both of y'all.

Mike

Bumblebee67
05-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Thank the Man above :pray: that everything turned out ok. ISCI (our site sponsor) sells armrests for the RS. :thumbup:

Daisyjoe
05-29-2012, 12:29 AM
Thankful things turned out OK :pray:

ARtraveler
05-29-2012, 12:35 AM
We are so glad everything turned out well. Let us know what you decide on the armrests.

Big Iron
05-29-2012, 12:37 AM
The Angels were watching over you both!!!

pastorchuck
05-29-2012, 01:10 AM
Glad to hear that your wife is okay, my friend. My bride of 51years wanted arm rests, and I see you have a Corbin trunk on your RS as I do. I had custom arm rests made that attach to my trunk that work perfectly. If interested I'd be happy to send pictures.

J. Mark
05-29-2012, 05:06 AM
Glad all worked out well...saw the Diamond R armrest at Spyderfest and thought they looked and functioned great. Will pray for your wife's full recovery and many great rides in the future.

Bob Denman
05-29-2012, 06:29 AM
I'm glad to she's going to be okay! Your quick actions and the three wheels kept this one from being a real disaster! I DO believe that iSCI lists RS/GS armrests... :thumbup:

dancogan
05-29-2012, 06:32 AM
We came real close to an identical experience when we were riding in VT during a very hot spell. My wife kept saying she needed to get off the bike. Fortunately I found a place to pull over before she passed out, but she immediately lay down while I helped her drink and cooled her off with water on her face and head. It's scary. We really need to keep hydrated during rides, even if we don't feel thirsty.

NancysToy
05-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Whew! Thank the Lord for three wheels and your quick thinking and reaction. As was said, it points out the need to stay hydrated, dress for the heat/sun, and to not ride if you are feeling ill. BTW, a wet cloth on the neck and wrists is the quickest way to cool a person down if they get overheated. I learned this the hard way, from an EMT.

ISCI makes armrests for the RS, I believe. Sounds like a good investment. If you don't already have one, I'd suggest a good comm system, too, so you can talk to each other.

wyliec
05-29-2012, 07:31 AM
Glad she is okay.:thumbup:

Dwanton
05-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Agree with everyone - glad all went well ! :pray:

My 8 year old son was banging into my back this past Saturday , I was talking to him on the headsets and he said he was looking down at the rear tire - I didn't think anything more about it . Well couple minutes later he did it a couple more times and I had to repeat myself a couple times " are you ok ! " and he did answer me back yes , but I didn't like it , luckily we were only a couple seconds from our driveway and when I stopped , I helped him off he was groggy , I thought he was just falling asleep . Wife was thinking it was exhaust fumes , and I had to say I don't think so - and she hasn't ridden on the spyder yet .. It really freaked me out , but he is fine -- but now thinking about it , he could have been dehydrated .

I agree - thanks for 3 wheels and stability !

DynamoBT
05-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Glad you responded quickly!!! Thank goodness all is well. Yeah, it would have been scary on two wheels!!!

Oldmanzues
05-29-2012, 10:06 AM
I hope she doing okay still.
"It points out the need to stay hydrated, dress for the heat/sun, and to not ride if you are feeling ill." I borrowed this line from another post. I believe if you are riding for more a hour ( or less) and you do not have at least a slight urge to use a restroom are not thirsty. You should have stopped 10 mins ago for fluid. People do not realize what happens whey they are dehaydrated.
I ( ST1100 )was riding with a Gold Wing group a couple years ago. One bike ( Rider/co-rider) just straight on a curve. Luck, we were going slow. We had been riding for a couple hours ( stopped once and I drank some water). Of the six or seven bikes, I was the only one with water or anything else. The rider that went off, did not want any water. I got on my soapbox. You are going to drink some. He did and a little color came back. I was told it would be another half hour to water. I told everybody, this was the time to share. I had 2 big Gator Aid bottles of water. They drank. A couple other admitted they were feeling light headed before the water.
I almost never leave home without a insulated lunch bag with a frozen bottle of water and a cold bottle (Gator Aid bottle ). Longer trips or PGR Missions moreis a soft cooler.
Sorry for the length, but this is very important.
Oldmanzues

Camdenlake
05-29-2012, 10:09 AM
You did a great job of riding and saved her life. Good to hear that everything out for both of y'all.

Mike

:agree: Well done sir. That would be freaking scarry.

Josh

bikeguy
05-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Glad you were able to catch her. That was a very scary situation. Hope she continues to do well. Sounds like you have quite a riding buddy.

Cotton

Luckyme
05-29-2012, 11:04 AM
What an amazing save, for both of you. Yes, thank God you were on a stable machine. By the way, that photo of your Spyder RS looks awesome. Some nice add on's there.

bruiser
05-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Anything with caffeine acts as a diuretic. That includes colas, mountain dew, coffee, tea etc. In order to stay properly hydrated you need to drink water before the ride/activity and during. Gator Aide is good if you're sweating alot such as during sports/exercise. It's good to know the signs/symptoms of dehydration, heat stress, heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Scotty mentioned a wet cloth for heat related illness, he's correct. You can wet a cloth and spin it to cool it off. Ice packs work well to. I'm a former EMT/firefighter and taught combat first aid/buddy care while active duty. Glad your wife is recovering and AMEN for three wheels.

Firefly
05-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Glad everything turned out well. Good advice from everyone. I always have a bottle of water in my cup holder and more in the trunk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Luckyme
05-30-2012, 04:33 AM
I am always with a cold drink on these hot days too. Albeit, not always the best choices as often a convenient stores ice tea, or Diet Coke. The Butler was my first purchase when returning from Cuba in 90+ degree temps.

MouthPiece
05-30-2012, 05:57 AM
[QUOTE=KAUBOY;460521
Any ideas for armrests?[/QUOTE]

Corbin.

Chris

chickridin
05-30-2012, 07:04 AM
So glad to hear that you wife is ok. :ohyea: As for the 3 hr ER visit....that's good time. Good thing you weren't in our area when it happened. We have awesome Ambulance response time but you would have been in the ER for at least 6 hours. :(

katnapper
05-30-2012, 07:21 AM
Great job! Cyn had a bout once, but she was on her own bike. We got to a BBQ place and they helped get her kooled off, wet towels - ice and lots of water to drink!

Hot days on a bike tend to "dry" folks out faster than we think.