PDA

View Full Version : GPS MOUNT LOCATION ON 2012 RS

SpyderAndy
05-28-2012, 11:19 AM
I got a RS SE5 about a month ago and I am looking to mount a GARMIN NUVI 40LM to it. I ordered the U Bolt kit with the aqua box 6 from gps city but I found two thing that I didn't like. First the aqua box size is huge and second the handlebar location looks like it would be hard to see. I just got a madstad windshield and that created some space between the plastic gage cover (the part that has the safety card in it) and the metal base windshield. I was thinking of getting the RAM 2.5 inch ball and using the adhesive disk to stick the base in the gap. That way the gps is right above the cluster and in my line of sight. Has anyone tried this? Will it work out ok? I don't really want to drill holes if I don't have to. I wondered if any has tried the adhesive disk? Any other suggestions for a good way to mount a gps on an RS? If I do put it in that gap space is there an easy way to run power to the unit? I am not good at the search function so I'm sorry if this is a duplicate thread. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

NancysToy
05-28-2012, 12:03 PM
On Nancy's GS I put a RAM ball on the CHAD windshield adjustment, instead of a bolt.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15421&d=1238875773

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15422&d=1238875773

wyliec
05-28-2012, 12:13 PM
What Scotty said :thumbup:.

I had my gps mounted where you mention, on my 2008GS. It was there for about 2 hrs. The gps and dash vibrated so much I thought that part of the dash was going to come off. I used a mount attached with two small bolts to the dash. Maybe the adhesive disc will be different.:dontknow:

Just Doo Me
05-28-2012, 08:08 PM
I removed the safety card and put a ram mount in,one small hole.

Jharpo
05-28-2012, 10:14 PM
[/SIZE]:clap:
I got a RS SE5 about a month ago and I am looking to mount a GARMIN NUVI 40LM to it. I ordered the U Bolt kit with the aqua box 6 from gps city but I found two thing that I didn't like. First the aqua box size is huge and second the handlebar location looks like it would be hard to see. I just got a madstad windshield and that created some space between the plastic gage cover (the part that has the safety card in it) and the metal base windshield. I was thinking of getting the RAM 2.5 inch ball and using the adhesive disk to stick the base in the gap. That way the gps is right above the cluster and in my line of sight. Has anyone tried this? Will it work out ok? I don't really want to drill holes if I don't have to. I wondered if any has tried the adhesive disk? Any other suggestions for a good way to mount a gps on an RS? If I do put it in that gap space is there an easy way to run power to the unit? I am not good at the search function so I'm sorry if this is a duplicate thread. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jharpo
05-28-2012, 10:22 PM
[/SIZE]:clap:
I got a RS SE5 about a month ago and I am looking to mount a GARMIN NUVI 40LM to it. I ordered the U Bolt kit with the aqua box 6 from gps city but I found two thing that I didn't like. First the aqua box size is huge and second the handlebar location looks like it would be hard to see. I just got a madstad windshield and that created some space between the plastic gage cover (the part that has the safety card in it) and the metal base windshield. I was thinking of getting the RAM 2.5 inch ball and using the adhesive disk to stick the base in the gap. That way the gps is right above the cluster and in my line of sight. Has anyone tried this? Will it work out ok? I don't really want to drill holes if I don't have to. I wondered if any has tried the adhesive disk? Any other suggestions for a good way to mount a gps on an RS? If I do put it in that gap space is there an easy way to run power to the unit? I am not good at the search function so I'm sorry if this is a duplicate thread. Any advice is greatly appreciated.. I just mounted my Garmin 650 using a couple Ram Mounts with a 1" ball on each end of the shaft. It is mounted on the flat triangle mount right at the base of the handle bar V. It was easily bolted in place with only a Temporary removal of the windshield to give me a little working room. Hope this helps.

smporter420
05-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

pro10is
05-31-2012, 12:21 PM

I have the Madstad windshield on my RS-S and I use the adhesive base mounted to the top of the Madstatd plate:
http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-round-flex-adhesive-base-with-b-ball-rap-b-378u.html (http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-round-flex-adhesive-base-with-b-ball-rap-b-378u.html)
With a compatible aluminum short arm:
http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-short-arm-b-socket-ram-b-201u-a.html

And I add to that the diamond plate and GPS mount.

It works perfectly. No need to drill holes. The professional strength 3M adhesive is so strong you would bend the metal plate before you could pull it off. Same adhesive as used to mount car moldings. It's not going anywhere once mounted.

I run power to the GPS using the the cable that came with the unit. I snaked it into the dash console using the holes for the warning card on top. From there I wired in a standard 12VDC socket connected to the aux fuse. I don't have a photo here at work but if you want I can upload one when I get home for you.

SpyderAndy
06-01-2012, 02:44 PM
I have the Madstad windshield on my RS-S and I use the adhesive base mounted to the top of the Madstatd plate:
http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-round-flex-adhesive-base-with-b-ball-rap-b-378u.html (http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-round-flex-adhesive-base-with-b-ball-rap-b-378u.html)
With a compatible aluminum short arm:
http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-short-arm-b-socket-ram-b-201u-a.html

And I add to that the diamond plate and GPS mount.

It works perfectly. No need to drill holes. The professional strength 3M adhesive is so strong you would bend the metal plate before you could pull it off. Same adhesive as used to mount car moldings. It's not going anywhere once mounted.

I run power to the GPS using the the cable that came with the unit. I snaked it into the dash console using the holes for the warning card on top. From there I wired in a standard 12VDC socket connected to the aux fuse. I don't have a photo here at work but if you want I can upload one when I get home for you.

That is exactly the type of install I am looking to do. If you have some pics of how you ran the power that would be great

pro10is
06-01-2012, 02:47 PM
That is exactly the type of install I am looking to do. If you have some pics of how you ran the power that would be great
I'll post some photos for you when I get home from work.

Bores 1
06-01-2012, 05:21 PM
www.bores1 (http://www.bores1) has the gps mount easy install and no issues. over 500 sold

SPYD1
06-01-2012, 05:32 PM
I have a complete handlebar mount if anyone is interested in it. Just pm me.

SPYD1
06-01-2012, 05:41 PM
I have a complete handlebar mount if anyone is interested in it. Just pm me.

bone crusher
06-01-2012, 08:43 PM
RAM mount, right side handlebar...no vibration issue whatsoever...

larrymz3
06-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Yeah, ram mount here as well. Works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD