PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for prepaid SIM card in the US for a Canuk iPhone?

RodO
05-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Hi,

I'll be heading from Canada to Colorado in June for the Owner's Event and then again in August, and I want to use my unlocked iPhone without paying the crazy expensive roaming charges from my Canadian provider. Can anyone suggest a good prepaid service I can get? What prices should I expect to pay for voice, text and data?

Thanks,
Rod.

jimcrom
05-28-2012, 12:17 AM
I have been using the $30 straight talk phone 1000-min, 1000-text and 30 megs of data for the past two years. While you don't get to use it in Canada, I considered buying one of the $30 dollar phones while were were up in Canada, but decided I didn't need one that bad.

Hi,

I'll be heading from Canada to Colorado in June for the Owner's Event and then again in August, and I want to use my unlocked iPhone without paying the crazy expensive roaming charges from my Canadian provider. Can anyone suggest a good prepaid service I can get? What prices should I expect to pay for voice, text and data?

Thanks,
Rod.

rogerb
05-28-2012, 07:55 AM
I don't know who your carrier is but you should talk to them about international service for one month. I have AT&T and they told me I could the service for the time I would be in Canada and just cancel when I get back. The other thing to do is go to Walmart when you cross border and get a temporary phone and not renew it when you return to Canada. They only cost around $40 for unlimited minutes and texting. Just notify the ones you want to know the number of the phone.

wolfee
05-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Check out straight talk, they offer phones and prepaid sim cards for AT&T compatible phones. My son is using one of their phones without any problems. they are at StraightTalk.com.

RodO
05-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks everyone. I checked with my Canadian carrier (Rogers) and they want $40 to $80 per month for roaming fees in the US, which is insane!
I was hoping to just buy a prepaid SIM card in US for my own phone but that doesn't look like its an option.
So much for it being a 'world phone'. The just left out the part about it costing the world... :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk