PDA

View Full Version : RS vs RT, a personal comparison

hrbeta
05-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Today, on our way back from Venice to Boca Raton, Fl, my friend Dan let me try his beautiful 2011 RTS for some 150 miles. I'm very appreciative because I had only ridden RTs for short distances before, and within urban environments. Our trip of today was at a fast pace on Florida's highways and back roads; we hit some rain, some traffic, wind and a lot of heat.
I've had a semi-auto 2011 RS since last October, it's got almost 6k miles. I've put a lot of goodies on it, most relevantly an Evoluzione sway bar, stage 2 front Elka shocks, a HMF exhaust along with an Evo O2 modiffier. I run 20 psi in the front tires and 26 psi on the rear one. The stock rear shock absorber's coil is set in the fourth notch. This I'm telling you so you can appreciate what I'm used to, when it comes to my Spyder.
Dan's RTS has no after market sway bar, but has Fox front shocks and wider, stiffer front tires. It does not have any power enhancements.
I found the RT, very comfortable and very quiet, thanks of course to its stock muffler. If I get me a RT I would not change the muffler either, I like my RS loud but I'd prefer to keep a RT quiet.
In the power department I was positively impressed, to me, the RT is just as quick as my RS.
I did not care much for the fly-by-wire throttle as it feels sluggish, with a lot of play, compared to the wired RS throt.
Also I have to say, I like the semi-auto gear box better, it's quicker up and down than the standard box. I have extensive two stroke off-road experience and I understand the importance of the use of the clutch on a motorcycle but in the case of the Spyder, the nanny completely renders the regular clutch advantages useless, IMHO.
My biggest "complaint" regarding this RT I tried, is that it is not as stable as my RS, it feels very nervous at speeds over 75mph or when it is hit by a gust of wind.
I have high risers on my GS and I sit in a straight up position, I have a large wind shield and highway pegs, however my RS tracks significantly better and feels much more stable. Probably it's just me, 'cause Dan can sure put his RT through the paces.
All in all, I liked the RT. it's a different beast than the RS. I can see myself on one, as a matter of fact, Dan and I spoke about swapping Spyders for a weekend.
I'm hoping BRP works on improving the RT's reliability and also improves the electronic throttle's feeling. As of stability I can perhaps dial my RT to handle more to my liking.
Thank you Dan 👍

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Big Arm
05-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Nice write up. I haven't got to try the RT yet, but I know I will someday.

bone crusher
05-27-2012, 07:02 PM
They are definitely different rides and that is a good thing. The RS crowd will tend to ride in a more spirited fashion while the RTers own the road when it comes to the long haul rides.

I have a 2008 GS and I've loaded it up with goodies as well...it serves my function as I doubt I'll be taking too many long trips. I got mine in manual because to me, nothing beats hitting the clutch and popping gears. I tend to ride with two wheelers who love to hit corners hard and fast...

I don't know what BRP has coming down the pipeline, but I'm not getting rid of my Spyder anytime in the near future...no need, no matter what comes up...I love my Spyder!

SpyderAnn01
05-27-2012, 07:20 PM
I rode a GS for a while before I bought my RT and I think in a perfect world I would have one of each. The RS for running around town and the RT for long trips. But the world is not perfect so for me the RT works best.

ARtraveler
05-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Great write up in comparing the two models. I have had the pleasure of owning both. My only difference is that I do not feel the RT is squirrley at speeds of 75 or higher. With the large bulk, you will get more wind resistance. Handling the bike over many miles gives the driver the nuances for non-squirrley handling. You may have experienced a little over controlling which can cause the issues you mentioned.

Boriken
05-27-2012, 08:44 PM
I had an '09 GS SM5 Phantom with almost 10,000 miles when I traded it in for a "11 RTS SE5. The only reason for trading the GS was that on my trip to the ower's event in Maggie Valley I found it a bit uncorfortable and not enough room for luggage, but I loved my Phantom and I do miss ryding it alot.

NancysToy
05-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Personally, I like the fly-by-wire throttle. There is no "feel", but it works so easily that it is a joy...and a real relief to your right hand on a long trip. IMO, building in some kind of feedback mechanism would ruin it.

bone crusher
05-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Great write up in comparing the two models. I have had the pleasure of owning both. My only difference is that I do not feel the RT is squirrley at speeds of 75 or higher. With the large bulk, you will get more wind resistance. Handling the bike over many miles gives the driver the nuances for non-squirrley handling. You may have experienced a little over controlling which can cause the issues you mentioned.

With the RS, it might have been your shocks....with the RT shocks on the RS, no speed feels uncomfortable...I didn't like the stock shocks as I felt too much roll with tight turns...now I have no such issue.

Joel
05-27-2012, 11:23 PM
I have the RS-S 2011, my wife has the RT Limited and we really can't compare them.
This seams to be fairly unknown...

None the less they respond to two different expectations/needs and does it very well in both.
:2thumbs:

Bob Denman
05-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Great write-up! :thumbup:
But... What you might have thought was the bike seeming unstable in wind gusts might have been you getting buffeted around and imparting some steering inputs that you didn't intend. You sit up higher on the RT and present more of yourself as a sail to catch in the wind. Next time try gripping the tanksides with your knees to hold yourself in place more securely. :thumbup:

wvsquirrel
05-28-2012, 12:07 PM
I had 2010 RS and sold it and got the 2011 RT last summer.

RS is a kewl looking ride and can move :)
Unfortunately,it is sport bike seating position and my 47 year old back, just can't deal with that position on longer rides even though I had risers. In enjoyed my RS for a year.

I currently have the RT and it is much better for my back and my short height. I love having all the convenince on the RT.

Riding in storms is much better on RT especially when I can raise the shield with a push of the button ;)

Bob Denman
05-28-2012, 12:10 PM
47?? OLD???? :shocked:
I agree about the RT's abilities in wet weather fully! :thumbup:

bone crusher
05-28-2012, 02:01 PM
47?? OLD???? :shocked:
I agree about the RT's abilities in wet weather fully! :thumbup:

Bob, I think they both do just fine in wet weather...I was on mine going over the Bay Bridge during a lightning storm 2 years ago...tons of cars on the side of the road waiting it out...and me on the Spyder just cruising on by...

My wife thought I was nuts but I told her no cops were going to do anything....number 1: it was raining super hard...number 2: I wasn't doing anything wrong!

I can attest first hand to the handling of the GS/RS is windy, rainy, weather...this storm was the tail end of a tropical storm...