PDA

View Full Version : Support issue.....trailer harness issue not resolved....one year later

skypup
05-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Hi folks

People know that my wife and I are spyder lovers and fans. We've always had excellent customer service from both our dealer and BRP. We have owned (2) RS models in the past and own and drive our 2010 RT regularly. Last spring we decided to buy the trailer for our RT. After taking it home we found that the lighting was not working properly. Our dealer was immediately advised of the situation. We have only used the trailer a couple of times due to the lighting situation being a hazard. Our dealership was able to definitely determine that it is a defective trailer wiring harness which they installed on our bike during the trailer purchase and not our trailer lighting. Our dealership was told that they would need to buy an entire trailer towing package to replace the harness which is ludicrous and unnecessary. I was recently advised that my dealer was told that no harnesses is available. I have $4000.00 tied up in an item I haven't been able to use for safety reasons. Anyone know how to resolve this issue? Hopefully BRP is listening. If it can't be resolved will you please allow me to return the trailer? Like new........barely used.

Jeriatric
05-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Hi folks

People know that my wife and I are spyder lovers and fans. We've always had excellent customer service from both our dealer and BRP. We have owned (2) RS models in the past and own and drive our 2010 RT regularly. Last spring we decided to buy the trailer for our RT. After taking it home we found that the lighting was not working properly. Our dealer was immediately advised of the situation. We have only used the trailer a couple of times due to the lighting situation being a hazard. Our dealership was able to definitely determine that it is a defective trailer wiring harness which they installed on our bike during the trailer purchase and not our trailer lighting. Our dealership was told that they would need to buy an entire trailer towing package to replace the harness which is ludicrous and unnecessary. I was recently advised that my dealer was told that no harnesses is available. I have $4000.00 tied up in an item I haven't been able to use for safety reasons. Anyone know how to resolve this issue? Hopefully BRP is listening. If it can't be resolved will you please allow me to return the trailer? Like new........barely used.

What specific problem is the trailer harness causing, and could it be corrected by a competent electrical technician. Sure seems it could be. It's only wiring and a couple of plugs. Not sure I'd be willing to give up the trailer so easily and I'd think the dealer would be supportive of finding out what's wrong too. It may make it easier for him to get the failed part replaced by BRP. JMO

NorthStar
05-27-2012, 11:43 AM
I blew my trailer module a few weeks back. When I hooked up my trailer the only lights that would operate on the trailer were the brake lights. The F7 fuse was blown and I could not replace the 10 A fuse without it immediately blowing.

Unfortunately my warranty had expired in April :banghead: and I ended up having to replace the trailer module (harness). The part number is 71002433. It is about a one hour install.

Check your F7 fuse in the front trunk and see if it is blown. If it is. try replacing it with a new fuse. If it immediately blows then I suspect that you might have a faulty trailer module. This was my experience.

NancysToy
05-27-2012, 12:16 PM
If the module was installed at the time of delivery, and was specifically listed on the warranty registration form, it is warranted for the same base period as the entire Spyder (2 years). It would not be covered under BEST extended coverage. If it was not installed for delivery, or listed, it would have a 60 or 90 day (?) accessory warranty. In either case, it sounds like the dealer should have covered it, unless I misunderstood your post. I'd contact BRP Customer Service and try to get it resolved through them. They need to have a talk with your dealer.

SpyderAnn01
05-27-2012, 06:37 PM
I just had this issue myself. My trailer is still under the 2 year warranty so they were able to cover the harness on that but they did charge me the $50 Best copay. Just like Northstar I only had brake lights on the trailer and I did not have reverse. The F7 fuse had blown but replacing it did not fix the problem. My dealer had a harness on hand and replaced mine - this is the wiring on the Spyder itself. I took the trailer in to the dealer yesterday for them to replace the wiring harness on it. I didn't hook the lights up for fear that the trailer wiring was the problem. They said they would file this under the same warranty claim as the Spyder harness

I have a 2010 trailer and 2010 RTS.

rogerb
05-27-2012, 06:50 PM
I had the same problem on my 2010 RT. The dealer replaced the module under warranty because they had problems with them and had new updated units coming. They didn't get them in till last October. I haven't had any problems since.