PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Front Cylinder Cutting Out......2010 RSS

mrsozzybrp
05-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Hopefully someone out has had the same problem or knows of a Spyder that has an intermittant problem of the front cylinder cutting out. I have a 2010 RSS bought new January 2012 with only 5054klms on it. From 3000klms it has developed a little gremlin that has appeared 4 times now. I have had new spark plugs & leads installed after the 1st time, a new coil fitted 2nd time, new ECM 3rd time. After about 4 hours both cylinders both fire up again. I am at a total loss as to what could be causing it (I don't think the dearlership will be happy when I ring them on Monday morning either :p) Any ideas would be most appreciated.
Cheers Melissa from Aussie land.
:pray:

boborgera
05-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Hopefully someone out has had the same problem or knows of a Spyder that has an intermittant problem of the front cylinder cutting out. I have a 2010 RSS bought new January 2012 with only 5054klms on it. From 3000klms it has developed a little gremlin that has appeared 4 times now. I have had new spark plugs & leads installed after the 1st time, a new coil fitted 2nd time, new ECM 3rd time. After about 4 hours both cylinders both fire up again. I am at a total loss as to what could be causing it (I don't think the dearlership will be happy when I ring them on Monday morning either :p) Any ideas would be most appreciated.
Cheers Melissa from Aussie land.
:pray:

I had something similar with my 08 GS, I know you said the plug wire was changed, But that was my problem plug wire intermittently shorting out. The stock wires break easy, They can even break putting in a new one,.
:dontknow:

pro10is
05-26-2012, 10:06 PM
I had something similar with my 08 GS, I know you said the plug wire was changed, But that was my problem plug wire intermittently shorting out. The stock wires break easy, They can even break putting in a new one,.
:dontknow:

:agree: The stock wires are of low quality, even a new one could fail. Apparently they break easily when removing or installing them. Try a new set from BajaRon (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?23928-New-sponsor-here-for-Filters-amp-Helmets). He sells the best quality spark plug wires available for the Spyder. I recently received a set and was amazed at the quality. Also change the spark plugs to the NGK Iridiums. BajaRon sells those too.

ARtraveler
05-26-2012, 10:36 PM
I had a similar problem with my 2010 RTS. A wire from the coil was not grounded properly and would short out in wet conditions.

Smokinspyder
05-26-2012, 10:44 PM
I have to agree with the Baja Ron stuff. I just installed the plugs and wires into my 09 and so far they are awesome ...

Freddy
05-26-2012, 11:23 PM
mrozzy, Bajaron's plug leads are available from Martin in Brisbane - he has stock of them.

http://www.spyderryders.net.au/

Here's his new forum

http://www.spyderryders.net.au/forum/index.php

mrsozzybrp
05-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks so far for your input, I have installed the NGK Iridium plugs & the leads came from America (through a guy here in QLD) My husband feels that it could be an injector problem, we had to ride it home 9klms (approx 5 miles) on the back cylinder & when it restarted no smoke was coming from the exhaust crisp & clean burning:banghead:

mrsozzybrp
05-26-2012, 11:32 PM
mrozzy, Bajaron's plug leads are available from Martin in Brisbane - he has stock of them.

http://www.spyderryders.net.au/

Here's his new forum

http://www.spyderryders.net.au/forum/index.php

Hi Freddy, bought 2 sets from Martin both spyders have them on, thought I'd ask the ???? here on this forum to try & shed some light on the matter. How's WA temp going? Freezing here in NSW:thumbup:

Freddy
05-27-2012, 05:44 AM
Hi Freddy, bought 2 sets from Martin both spyders have them on, thought I'd ask the ???? here on this forum to try & shed some light on the matter. How's WA temp going? Freezing here in NSW:thumbup:

We're having very fine warm weather (unfortunately for the farmers who are awaiting the winter rains to get the crops in). I just hope it's fine next w/end as I wanna go for a w/end away.

'Interesting' problem seeing that you already have those good plug leads on. We'll all be wanting to know thw fix - when it happens. It doesn't seem to be spark related does it if all those bits have been replaced.

Farmboy
05-27-2012, 06:56 AM
have your dealer to check the Crankshaft Position Sensor part no. 420966570. I had one to short out and was dropping my rear on my RT.

Just a thought.

mrsozzybrp
05-29-2012, 05:19 PM
still waiting to hear from the dealers as to what is going to happen next.........

johnwinslow
05-29-2012, 06:02 PM
you may think this is way off base, but!! make sure you have oil at the proper level, and who ever is changing your oil, removes both drain plugs, filter and strainer. after an oil change be sure to drive a few miles before final level check. you may go into limp mode but a couple of miles and it will come to it's own.

BajaRon
05-29-2012, 09:59 PM
you may think this is way off base, but!! make sure you have oil at the proper level, and who ever is changing your oil, removes both drain plugs, filter and strainer. after an oil change be sure to drive a few miles before final level check. you may go into limp mode but a couple of miles and it will come to it's own.

Good advise but I don't think it's going to reslove this issue. My money is on a bad sensor or intermittent ground wire issue. Something that heat and cooling would affect. Leaning towards a bad sensor of the two.

mrsozzybrp
06-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Hello out there, just had the phone call from my dearlers, & a new wiring harness is going to be fitted next week, hopefully this should keep the gremlin away :pray:

BajaRon
06-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Hello out there, just had the phone call from my dearlers, & a new wiring harness is going to be fitted next week, hopefully this should keep the gremlin away :pray:

Seems like wiring harnesses have become problematic lately. I wonder what is causing these issues?

Pinch points? Wear? Too small gauge? Bad connections? Breakage? Corrosion or something else?

NancysToy
06-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Seems like wiring harnesses have become problematic lately. I wonder what is causing these issues?

Pinch points? Wear? Too small gauge? Bad connections? Breakage? Corrosion or something else?
Escaped electrons. :roflblack:

mrsozzybrp
06-23-2012, 06:51 PM
So the beast is finally home, new wiring harness, injectors & fuel filter & a thorough go over. Nothing stood out as an immediate problem though! So far so good, it looks like the gremlin has died! Hasn't missed a beat. Happy riding folks :ohyea: