PDA

View Full Version : RT Shocks on RS

jvicker
05-26-2012, 03:29 PM
A few weeks ago I was finally able to put on the RT shocks on my RS that were graciously given to me by Joe Best (Packbuckbrew):bowdown:

I've been trying to push the shocks and on 3 occasions now, I have had the spyder on 2 wheels.:yikes: Not on purpose and all three times it was making a 90 degree right hand turn under 25 mph. Kinda thinking I like the rolling effect I got from the stock shocks.:dontknow:

Been riding with stock shocks at 3 for 2 years. Moved then to 4 just before Cuba this year. Rode alright through all the twisties.

RT shocks on 5

Any thoughts?

DynamoBT
05-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Don't know what to say. I've got the '11 RT shocks on my RS. Set on 5. I ride mostly two up. I love how the Spyder handles. Clearly, I'm not aggressive with hubby on the back. The two of us are all each of us has. So, I'm a very careful rider. Anyway, never had it up on two wheels. Love how my Spyder handles. Perhaps you just need to soften the settings a bit.

NancysToy
05-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Drop the RT shock preload down a few notches. The RT springs are already stronger than the RS springs, so you don't need the max setting. let the increased damping of the RT shock do the work, and see if you have better results.

arntufun
05-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Same thing happened to me a few times. I'm finding with these RT shocks that the nanny kicks in alot more now.

bone crusher
05-26-2012, 07:52 PM
A few weeks ago I was finally able to put on the RT shocks on my RS that were graciously given to me by Joe Best (Packbuckbrew):bowdown:

I've been trying to push the shocks and on 3 occasions now, I have had the spyder on 2 wheels.:yikes: Not on purpose and all three times it was making a 90 degree right hand turn under 25 mph. Kinda thinking I like the rolling effect I got from the stock shocks.:dontknow:

Been riding with stock shocks at 3 for 2 years. Moved then to 4 just before Cuba this year. Rode alright through all the twisties.

RT shocks on 5

Any thoughts?

I have the RT shocks on mine...no need to go to setting 5...I am on 4...I'm a very fit and strong 6'1", 225 lbs.....if you can control the bike well to begin with, you don't want the shocks too tight as the ride will become less comfortable...

eagle
05-26-2012, 08:04 PM
I have the RT shocks on mine...no need to go to setting 5...I am on 4...I'm a very fit and strong 6'1", 225 lbs.....if you can control the bike well to begin with, you don't want the shocks too tight as the ride will become less comfortable...

i have 2011 rt shocks on my 08 gs/rs. i stareted out on level 5, then down to level4. rode on 4 from MN. to CUBA , it liked to wander a bit. while in CUBA, i dropped down to level 3, have ridden like this ever since with VERY good luck. runs straight, corners very well atc. like them a lot.

coz
05-26-2012, 08:28 PM
mine are set on three, they handle great. dissapointed with the rough ride though. i don't push it hard enough to rile the nanny:spyder:.

bone crusher
05-26-2012, 09:15 PM
mine are set on three, they handle great. dissapointed with the rough ride though. i don't push it hard enough to rile the nanny:spyder:.

If you don't push it too hard, you can drop the setting back to two...the higher the number, the tighter the bike in turns, true....but the stiffer the ride overall...

wyliec
05-26-2012, 10:17 PM
I have the 2011 RT shocks on my 2008GS. The fronts are set to 3. I weigh 175# and they work fine cornering; but, a little rough over bumps. With the gf on the back it isn't as rough over bumps. She weighs in at 110#; trying to get her to lose a little.:roflblack:

larrymz3
05-26-2012, 10:33 PM
I have mine set to 3 as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jvicker
05-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Thanks all:thumbup:

Will drop them to 3 and go out for a ride tomorrow.:yes:

Will report back.

pro10is
05-26-2012, 11:29 PM
The VSS is calibrated to kick in at a specific degree of lateral roll via the yaw sensor. With the soft OEM springs the outer spring will compress easily and the Spyder will roll laterally. The inner wheel will usually stay on the ground during the roll up until you hit the speed where the roll is at the point where the VSS is calibrated to kick in. Thus wheel lift is avioded.

With a stiffer spring the VSS will be fooled because the Spyder will not roll as much at a given speed and the inner wheel may lift off the ground before the VSS detects the problem.

jvicker
05-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Drop the RT shocks to 3 and still got the wheel lift on right hand turns. :dontknow:

Big Arm
05-28-2012, 05:18 PM
Drop the RT shocks to 3 and still got the wheel lift on right hand turns. :dontknow:

Dropped mine down to two last night, will try later this evening.
(but I only weight 145 :roflblack: )

Just Doo Me
05-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Drop the RT shocks to 3 and still got the wheel lift on right hand turns. :dontknow:I ride with the stock GS shock[#4] and EVO. swaybar [firmest holes]and find the ride smooth and the handling good.No lifting of the wheels, best of both.I'm 6'2 230 and ride fairly aggressive .;) 17psi in front tire 27 rear.

bone crusher
05-28-2012, 09:35 PM
I ride with the stock GS shock[#4] and EVO. swaybar [firmest holes]and find the ride smooth and the handling good.No lifting of the wheels, best of both.I'm 6'2 230 and ride fairly aggressive .;) 17psi in front tire 27 rear.

That's the tire pressure I use...found it to be best with grip and most comfortable on the road...

jvicker
06-08-2012, 11:32 AM
I think i found my wheel lift problem. :opps:

On right hand turns I noticed that my right foot is touching the brake pedal. As I turn, the force of the turn causes me to lightly brake through the turn.

Brake + throttle + sharp turn= tire lift. :lecturef_smilie:

But......
Brake + throttle + dead stop = :yes: