PDA

View Full Version : using heel to brake with

Jimmy Neutron
05-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Just got my new floor boards designed and installed .. they work great.. Because of my knee issues I am going to only beable to brake with my heel only.. My co workers think that is unsafe,, and tell me im gonna die,, I dont see a problem am I wrong

Bob Denman
05-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Jim,
How are your feet and ankles?
The nice thing about grabbing for the pedal with your toes, is that you've got lots of foot to hit it with.
If you miss when you're only throwing a heel at it...:shocked:
Just make sure that you've got the routine worked out and thoroughly precticed so that stabbing with the heel is completely natural for you. :thumbup:

Tell your co-workers that nothing that makes you feel so alive would ever be allowed to kill you. :2thumbs:

ARtraveler
05-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Sometimes we have to do what we have to do. You can get used to anything.

You might try putting on the brake extension pedal from tricplate.com

I have it and the seal floorboards combination. They work well and you have more brake pedal to find in an emergency.

Ga Blue Knight
05-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Just got my new floor boards designed and installed .. they work great.. Because of my knee issues I am going to only beable to brake with my heel only.. My co workers think that is unsafe,, and tell me im gonna die,, I dont see a problem am I wrong

Well it's like anything else it will work fine if you take the time to practice in a safe location. Keep in mind that most folks don't have fine motor control of their heel area as the front of the foot. But practice practice and practice.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, yes you are going to die, as we all are, so take some advice from a three times cancer survivor live each day to its fullest and as thought It may be your last!

FrankPa
05-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Sometimes we have to do what we have to do. You can get used to anything.

You might try putting on the brake extension pedal from tricplate.com

I have it and the seal floorboards combination. They work well and you have more brake pedal to find in an emergency.

Do you have a pic on how that looks? Thank You, in advance!

Jimmy Neutron
05-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Well it's like anything else it will work fine if you take the time to practice in a safe location. Keep in mind that most folks don't have fine motor control of their heel area as the front of the foot. But practice practice and practice.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, yes you are going to die, as we all are, so take some advice from a three times cancer survivor live each day to its fullest and as thought It may be your last!
Thanks to you all and thats great advice and thats why I bought the spyder.. If i die the bank owns it lol

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-25-2012, 05:54 PM
I know they are break the bank expensive...but I would start saving for a hand brake ...try for used if you can....I just don't want you hurting yourself.....life is way too short......IMHO.....Mike...:agree:

murphybrown
05-25-2012, 05:59 PM
First off tell your coworkers...we all are going to die (hopefully later than sooner!!!)
Talk to John (Seal floorboards)..he is the master of using heel to break:bowdown:.

NancysToy
05-25-2012, 06:43 PM
You are the best judge of that. Head to an empty parking lot or empty back road and practice some sudden and some hard stops, as well as stops when maneuvering. See how effective it is and if it works reliably for you. Think about what will happen in wet weather. If it is not good, or worries you, you could install an ISCI hand brake for added safety.

ARtraveler
05-25-2012, 06:48 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45637&d=1336425181

Oldmanzues
05-25-2012, 07:46 PM
I have no experience with "heel brake". The others have offered excellent advice.
Remember, it is imposible to use a "heel toe" shifer on a motorcycle, so some experts say. Something along the line of Expert on Spyder oil changes. "Make sure the kickstand is on firm ground.
Oldmanzues

coz
05-25-2012, 07:49 PM
i brake with heel when i have my feet down on the floorboards, no problem at all. if it's a bit of a reach you can take the rubber pad off of the pedal. this ''lowers'' the pedal 3/8 , or a 1/2 inch, or build up the floorboard surface with whatever, to get a little closer to it.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: got any pics of your floorboards?

tobor9
05-25-2012, 07:51 PM
I have seal floorboards and love that i can use my heal,i'm diabetic and have neuopathy in both feet,so using my heal is easier for me,i just put my foot on the floorboard and slide back till it hits the brake,then when i need it i know i just lift up and back a little and down. the only thing i had to do was add 2 nuts on the mounting bolts to raise the peddle up for more brake power(it was hitting the floorboard b4 full brake),now it works great!

sealfloorboards
05-25-2012, 08:38 PM
When I first designed the Seal floorBoard and it was for my RT SE5. I used my heel in braking about 95% of the time. It just became second nature. I'm putting on the larger brake pad on my RT this weekend. Think it's going to be great.

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

JJW SpyderRider
05-25-2012, 09:01 PM
I use my heel for braking when I have my feet on my foot rest. My feet slip up into the opening behind the fan outlet, keeps the feet warm in the winter. My heel keeps a slight contact with the brake peddle so I always know where it is. My wife can use my foot pegs when I have my feet forward.

Jimmy Neutron
05-26-2012, 11:51 AM
i brake with heel when i have my feet down on the floorboards, no problem at all. if it's a bit of a reach you can take the rubber pad off of the pedal. this ''lowers'' the pedal 3/8 , or a 1/2 inch, or build up the floorboard surface with whatever, to get a little closer to it.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: got any pics of your floorboards?

I will take pics but have no idea how to post them