PDA

View Full Version : Flipped RS

2Gunns
05-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Got a call that a new owner/Ryder flipped his RS while at Myrtle Beach. Seems a group stopped suddenly ahead of him and he locked the brakes followed by flipping the bike. I'm confused, I didn't think you could "lock" the brakes on a spyder, or is that just the RT? Btw: only injury was to the bike

Derek Paisley
05-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Got a call that a new owner/Ryder flipped his RS while at Myrtle Beach. Seems a group stopped suddenly ahead of him and he locked the brakes followed by flipping the bike. I'm confused, I didn't think you could "lock" the brakes on a spyder, or is that just the RT? Btw: only injury was to the bike

Apparently, if the Parking brake is applied while in motion the Spyder can Spin and or Flip. The rider may have braked hard on uneven surface and Tipped -> Flipped the Spyder.

Glad to hear that only the ride and not the rider was hurt.

CyncySpyder
05-25-2012, 10:56 AM
So, one would think with ABS they wouldn't lock up so I'm sure interested if anyone knows the "real" details of what exactly transpired in this case :dontknow::popcorn: if they would share. Maybe we all could learn a thing or two :bowdown:

Bob Denman
05-25-2012, 11:00 AM
I too am glad that it's just the bike that got beat up in this one... and am also curiouif any other facts will emerge as to what was done or how it all happened that a vehicle with ABS could get locked up and flipped....
unless it WAS a parking brake issue.

wyliec
05-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Bob,

The poster's name escapes me now; but, remember his wife flipped her spyder when the brakes didn't slow her down and the kill switch didn't kill the revving engine, which I think started the whole incident. He still hasn't been back to let spyderlovers know what happened. I'm wondering what is going on there.

I'm glad this rider wasn't hurt either.

bone crusher
05-25-2012, 11:24 AM

I don't believe this...more likely he was going to fast, slammed the brakes, and spun the handlebar sharply...you can flip a bike easily if you're going fast enough...the nanny has no way to catch up...

Bob Denman
05-25-2012, 11:27 AM
We sure don't have all of the facts on this one yet; but I'm thinking that what Bone Crusher's brought up sure makes a lot of sense...

bone crusher
05-25-2012, 11:37 AM
We sure don't have all of the facts on this one yet; but I'm thinking that what Bone Crusher's brought up sure makes a lot of sense...

Bob...yeah, if you think about how many times you've been loose on steering or hitting a shaper than anticipated turn, etc....it's really hard to get this bike to misbehave. However, if you can deceive the nanny, then anything is possible. I'd say 40mph with a fast brake and hard turn might just be enough to get the bike to flip over...however, I don't think either of us should test this theory! :shocked::shocked:

2Gunns
05-25-2012, 12:13 PM
I don't know all the details and can only go with what I was told. He was lead bike in a small group... Approaching a stop sign. My buddy was directly behind the RS and only told me what he witnessed, didn't mention speed and they were able to stop without incident. If anyone has been to Myrtle Beach during bike week you know traffic there can be a challenge. update: Got some additional information, they were going about 35 (45zone)...already slowing for the stop sign.

bone crusher
05-25-2012, 01:32 PM
I don't know all the details and can only go with what I was told. He was lead bike in a small group... Approaching a stop sign. My buddy was directly behind the RS and only told me what he witnessed, didn't mention speed and they were able to stop without incident. If anyone has been to Myrtle Beach during bike week you know traffic there can be a challenge. update: Got some additional information, they were going about 35 (45zone)...already slowing for the stop sign.

One thing is for sure...you can't flip the Spyder going in a straight line at 35mph...however, if you jerk the handlebars quickly....

Mspiv
05-25-2012, 01:39 PM
I don't believe this...more likely he was going to fast, slammed the brakes, and spun the handlebar sharply...you can flip a bike easily if you're going fast enough...the nanny has no way to catch up...
Yupp. I agree.

ARtraveler
05-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Sounds like a situation where we would like to hear from the driver of the :spyder2: involved. More details of how everything transpired would be very good for all of us riders.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

DynamoBT
05-25-2012, 01:41 PM
And not to really pound the issue. But, what if he was wearing that support belt thing that someone put around their steering post? The rider would have been hurt for sure. Some ideas just shouldn't be put into practice.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Myrtle Beach = Sand....I think the ABS could be defeated under those circumstances, and if you start sliding and hit something sideways...all bets are off......IMHO....Mike...:gaah:

Grandpa Spyder
05-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Hummmm, I had to stand on my brakes and it stopped on a dime and gave me a nickel change.

Buttsy
05-25-2012, 02:34 PM
But, what if he was wearing that support belt thing that someone put around their steering post? The rider would have been hurt for sure. Some ideas just shouldn't be put into practice.

;).....................:roflblack:

2Gunns
05-25-2012, 02:57 PM
One thing is for sure...you can't flip the Spyder going in a straight line at 35mph...however, if you jerk the handlebars quickly....
I'm sure there was some turning the bars in there

flamingobabe
05-25-2012, 02:58 PM
It will be interesting to see what really happened...I've stopped pretty quick and no problem......

bone crusher
05-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Myrtle Beach = Sand....I think the ABS could be defeated under those circumstances, and if you start sliding and hit something sideways...all bets are off......IMHO....Mike...:gaah:

Last I checked, there aren't any stop signs on the beach! The roads are not covered in sand down there....

kentompkins
05-25-2012, 03:21 PM
This *may* be the accident referred to:

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/18616841/accident-slows-traffic-on-hwy-17-and-62nd-ave-north

It's hard to tell whether the Spyder flipped -- assuming this is the one -- or not.

kt

hrbeta
05-25-2012, 03:22 PM
If in a panic, one breaks really hard and turns the handle bar quick and hard, I can see a Spyder flipping. Dunno 😲

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-25-2012, 03:25 PM
In most if not all Beach area's when the wind blows ,the sand gets out onto the nearby road surfaces.....Or does the sand stay where it be-longs where you live.....:hun:.....:roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:.......Mike.....:yikes:

Hobstopper
05-25-2012, 03:31 PM
In the bottom picture you can see the left tire is flat and may have been caused be the bike going sharp sideways and breaking the bead on the tire.

spyder3
05-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Doesn't look like sand was an issue on those pictures........maybe we should all just wait until we hear what happened..since at this point its all conjecture.:dontknow:

bone crusher
05-25-2012, 03:51 PM

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/18616841/accident-slows-traffic-on-hwy-17-and-62nd-ave-north

It's hard to tell whether the Spyder flipped -- assuming this is the one -- or not.

kt

Ken, did you move to Jersey or have you always been there? I thought when we were having our Cardo talks some time ago that you were out west...if not, my mistake...

bone crusher
05-25-2012, 03:53 PM
In most if not all Beach area's when the wind blows ,the sand gets out onto the nearby road surfaces.....Or does the sand stay where it be-longs where you live.....:hun:.....:roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:.......Mike.....:yikes:

I own property in Myrtle Beach and used to go there a good bit...most of Myrtle Beach is not actually on the beach and it's not too windy down there...there are also no sand storms. I can't recall ever seeing enough sand on the roads down there to be a hazard...at least not for a Spyder!! :sour: Now, if there's a hurricane, that's another story, but we're not talking about that here...

2Gunns
05-25-2012, 06:25 PM

kt
If I had to guess I'd say that's it. Like I said, it all happened right in front of my budget...who then called me (he's not a spyder guy). He said it was a red and black RS with some graphics on the hood. I've talk with him a couple times since, he doesn't know if the guy turned or not but said that was possible since there were bikes ahead of him. Only new information he gave was the guy stood up just before flipping.

JJW SpyderRider
05-25-2012, 09:13 PM

:agree: Just ask SNY. He hit an oil patch + on curve + with slant + turned sideways + hit dry pavement = flipped spyder. :yikes:

Bob Denman
05-26-2012, 07:08 AM
2Gunns,
Do you have any way to find out who the rider was and get them to drop by and tell their story for us? A first-hand report from the scene would hopefully give us the insight to figure out how it all happened...
Besides; An extra Spyder Ryder in here in NEVER a bad thing... :thumbup:

Clicker1944
05-26-2012, 10:19 AM
More info needed.
Just because a city has the word "beach" in it's name does not automatically mean sand in the streets.
I would guess almost 100% of the "beach" cities in Florida only have sand actually on the beach.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-26-2012, 12:39 PM
I know I should just drop this but I just can't......there is SAND from the SAHARA Desert in the USA that didn't come by boat or plane or train or bicycle or some little kids bucket......also dust from MT. SAINT HELENS. I KNOW YOU WANTED TO KNOW THIS ..:gaah: :roflblack::roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:.........Mike.....:thumbup:

MikeinGA
05-26-2012, 01:24 PM

Mike
Maybe people were walking on the beach and got sand in their shoes and stopped in the street and emptied their shoes. OR maybe the salt spray got on the road and dried and caused a salt build up on the road.

Mike

Oldmanzues
05-26-2012, 03:23 PM
I, along with a lot of others would like the full story on both incidents.
I would also ask, the people involued to post the truth, even if it has to be a "False/One time post/ name. It might save somebody else.
The one post said, the person was standing up ??????. I have done it going in a straight line, but stopping in a crowd ?????
Oldmanzues

Tiny1
05-26-2012, 03:41 PM

Firefly
05-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Hope the rider is okay. Most accidents are due to operator error - plain and simple. While you won't technically 'lock up' the ABS brakes on the Spyder--- the affect of being thrown forward is still there as if they had locked up. In a perfectly straight line.... just not gonna happen. I've slammed my brakes down HARD at 40,50 70, 80 , 100 and never had any fear of flipping.

I have locked up the rear by dropping from say 5th to 3rd... killing the engine an popping the clutch... and the Spyder got REAL squirrely REAL fast where I believe it could flip. I did this as a test to see what may have happened to another rider who had rear wheel lockup.

We also know of the one rider who had a soft bag get tangled into the belt, lock up the rear and then he flipped it.

Eyewitness accounts are usually pretty bad---

daveinva
05-26-2012, 05:03 PM
We also know of the one rider who had a soft bag get tangled into the belt, lock up the rear and then he flipped it

That story still gives me shudders. Getting something stuck in the belt = pretty much guaranteed to squirrel the Spyder.

I was cautious before, but thanks to that tale I'm absolutely paranoid about strapping my bags to the bike. No bungees, Rok straps only, double-checked at every gas-up.

wyliec
05-26-2012, 06:36 PM
I, along with a lot of others would like the full story on both incidents.
I would also ask, the people involued to post the truth, even if it has to be a "False/One time post/ name. It might save somebody else.
The one post said, the person was standing up ??????. I have done it going in a straight line, but stopping in a crowd ?????
Oldmanzues

Oldmanzues,

Are you talking about the one that I mentioned above? Or, was there another one? The only other one I know of is the one Firefly mentioned.

Oldmanzues
05-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Oldmanzues,

Are you talking about the one that I mentioned above? Or, was there another one? The only other one I know of is the one Firefly mentioned.

I do not remember who posted the first one, but it flipped and the kill switch did not work, among other things. This is the second one.
Oldmanzues

bone crusher
05-26-2012, 07:40 PM
I know I should just drop this but I just can't......there is SAND from the SAHARA Desert in the USA that didn't come by boat or plane or train or bicycle or some little kids bucket......also dust from MT. SAINT HELENS. I KNOW YOU WANTED TO KNOW THIS ..:gaah: :roflblack::roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:.........Mike.....:thumbup:

That does it...you have a sand fetish! :roflblack:

wyliec
05-26-2012, 08:59 PM
I do not remember who posted the first one, but it flipped and the kill switch did not work, among other things. This is the second one.
Oldmanzues

I PM'd you.

Firefly
05-27-2012, 07:23 AM
Oldmanzues,

Different one. I remember that story too. Husband on his 2 wheeler and his wife on Spyder talking via comm system when she couldn't slow down , kill switch, etc. and then flipped it. Pretty sure hers was an se5- so no clutch to pull in.

Wasn't sure what to make of that story either. Brakes should be able to overcome full throttle. Kill switch should work..and if not then the key sure as heck can be turned off.

Bob Denman
05-27-2012, 08:25 AM
:agree: Just my inexpert opinion, but the fact that she said the brakes weren't slowing her down didn't mean that she wasn't doing something to monkey that process up a bit too...

wyliec
05-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Different one. I remember that story too. Husband on his 2 wheeler and his wife on Spyder talking via comm system when she couldn't slow down , kill switch, etc. and then flipped it. Pretty sure hers was an se5- so no clutch to pull in.

Wasn't sure what to make of that story either. Brakes should be able to overcome full throttle. Kill switch should work..and if not then the key sure as heck can be turned off.

That's the one I mentioned in post #5. I'm going to PM you b/c I don't want to be blamed for another thread disappearing.