PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to a pull behind

danlnc
05-25-2012, 09:00 AM
I thought these were cool, check it out

http://www.tagalongtrailers.info/tag.html

CyncySpyder
05-25-2012, 09:20 AM
There was another thread discussing something similar, and the topic was brought up that the Spyder RT Hitch is frame mounted & "UnSprung" so the hitch doesn't get the benifit of the Spyders suspension & most of the "add ons" like this require them to be mounted only to a hitch that has suspension, or the bouncing & vibrations can cause the cargo peice damage & possible damage to the Spyder. I didn't research these enough to see if they had a caution posted like the others had, but the others specifically stated :lecturef_smilie:"NOT FOR USE WITH CAN-AM SPYDERS":lecturef_smilie:

These could be different, & I'm NOT trying to rain on anyones parade:mad: just make sure if your interested in one, that you read the fine print & make sure its compatible with your Spyder:dontknow: or the worse could happen:lecturef_smilie: & Teddy & I would H A T E to see that:(

Bob Denman
05-25-2012, 09:24 AM
My folks used to ahve one that they hooked on the back of their motorhome and it was a pretty useful addition. I do think that Dave is correct though; not having it hooked to the frame means that the swingarm will be taking a lot of abuse... :dontknow: So be careful!
But thanks for bringing it up! :thumbup:

danlnc
05-25-2012, 11:19 AM
I will probably go with a trailer as I am not sure these would have enough room for camping gear. Just thought they were cool. Thanks for the input though, this board is has a wealth of info.

scooterexpress
05-25-2012, 11:47 AM
I thought these were cool, check it out

http://www.tagalongtrailers.info/tag.html

i just called this place and talked to the owner he hasn't done a spyder yet but then i told him that his web site was mentiioned on our site he kinda got excited about it and hes going to look into the brp web site to see what he had to do to make it work on the spyder if he can design the necessary hardware to attch to the brp hitch he will come up with a pkg for just this type of bike,right now looks like all he has is g.w. stuff at the moment. don't know what the cost would be since he has to know what hardware is needed for mounting.

spyder3
05-25-2012, 01:43 PM
I would honestly prefer something like this myself vs a trailer. Unless I really start doing a lot of LD travel, this would be perfect for a couple of nights stay or even long day trips where putting our gear doesn't really fit anymore. I'm sure it won't be long before someone comes up with something.

They don't appear to weigh much empty. One could stuff the Rt compartments full and then when stopping and taking off gear: 2 helmets, 2 pants, 2 jackets and maybe even shoes and store them while out and about or eating etc....hmmm.

Bob Denman
05-25-2012, 02:03 PM
My Missus saw it and went NUTZ over the shopping possibilities... :shocked:

spyder3
05-25-2012, 02:06 PM
My Missus saw it and went NUTZ over the shopping possibilities... :shocked:

In that case bob, its very dangerous....:roflblack:

scooterexpress
05-25-2012, 02:07 PM
the extra lg container i was told only weighs about 30lbs empty.this is from the owner

Sny
05-25-2012, 03:48 PM
SteveMac made one of these, I think from a golf bag carrier. Rode behind him for a couple hundred miles at night and he had it lit up like a runway.

46836 There's a whole lot more pictures in his album
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1684

I'm assuming he still uses it

FrankPa
05-25-2012, 06:07 PM
SteveMac made one of these, I think from a golf bag carrier. Rode behind him for a couple hundred miles at night and he had it lit up like a runway.

46836 There's a whole lot more pictures in his album
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1684

I'm assuming he still uses it

(But still a darn good idea...)

:roflblack::roflblack:

NancysToy
05-25-2012, 09:00 PM
the extra lg container i was told only weighs about 30lbs empty.this is from the owner
The Spyder hitch's capacity (tongue weight) is only 40 pounds. That doesn't leave room for much cargo!

spyder3
05-25-2012, 09:46 PM
The Spyder hitch's capacity (tongue weight) is only 40 pounds. That doesn't leave room for much cargo!

I will have to weigh ten pounds of clothes works out to be.:dontknow:

Bob Denman
05-26-2012, 07:01 AM
In that case bob, its very dangerous....:roflblack:
Don't I know it! :yikes:

I was just wondering if the allowable tongue weight for the RTs would come up as a limiting factor; Thanks Scotty! :thumbup:

mastertek2000
05-28-2012, 04:11 PM
i seen this and plan on making one will keep every one posted so far picked up the box $32.00 hope to have it done this week will post pics looks like the hole thing will cost about $175 when done
http://www.lowes.com/pd_207123-230-3514_4294764324_4294937087_?productId=3024094&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Truck%2BBoxes_4294764324_42949370 87_%3Fpage%3D1%26Ns%3Dp_product_price|0&facetInfo=
46971specs on box

Shipping Weight (in pounds):

Product in Inches (L x W x H):
35.125 x 15.5 x 14.25

Storage Space (Cu. Feet) 2.04

spyder3
05-28-2012, 05:08 PM
i seen this and plan on making one will keep every one posted so far picked up the box $32.00 hope to have it done this week will post pics looks like the hole thing will cost about $175 when done
http://www.lowes.com/pd_207123-230-3514_4294764324_4294937087_?productId=3024094&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Truck%2BBoxes_4294764324_42949370 87_%3Fpage%3D1%26Ns%3Dp_product_price|0&facetInfo=
46971specs on box

Shipping Weight (in pounds):

Product in Inches (L x W x H):
35.125 x 15.5 x 14.25

Storage Space (Cu. Feet) 2.04

:bbq::popcorn:

NancysToy
05-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Again, I urge you to be very, very careful about the load. With a 17 pound container and say 10 pounds of steel, you can only carry another 13 pound max. That's not much more than a gallon of milk.

mastertek2000
05-28-2012, 06:19 PM
gain, I urge you to be very, very careful about the load. With a 17 pound container and say 10 pounds of steel, you can only carry another 13 pound max. That's not much more than a gallon of milk.
I have pulled a trailer to 49 states with my bike I don't want that no more that's y I wen to the spyder the frunk sold me I will have to look but sure when the mean the tongue wait is 40 pounds they don't include the hitch and I also think that is due to pulling I am new to the spyder I have read a lot of your post you know you way around these things and value your opinion I will keep you posted by the way do you know how thick the square box is that BRP uses for there hitch thanks in advance

NancysToy
05-28-2012, 08:02 PM
I have pulled a trailer to 49 states with my bike I don't want that no more that's y I wen to the spyder the frunk sold me I will have to look but sure when the mean the tongue wait is 40 pounds they don't include the hitch and I also think that is due to pulling I am new to the spyder I have read a lot of your post you know you way around these things and value your opinion I will keep you posted by the way do you know how thick the square box is that BRP uses for there hitch thanks in advance
There is no comparison between pulling a trailer with a bike and pulling one with the Spyder. The Spyder is a great tow vehicle. You will honestly never know the trailer is back there, unless you look, if it is loaded right.

The tongue weight rating is the force the hitch can take straight down at the ball. Tongue weights do not count the hitch, only what is attached or added. Anything you weld or bolt to the hitch has to be taken into account, and your tongue weight reduced accordingly. The towing capacity (pulled weight) acts lengthwise on the hitch, and is not applicable in this situation. You can only safely add a total of 40 pounds (at the ball)...hitch modifications, cargo box, and cargo, altogether.

The factory hitch is thin. I'd say 0.060" off the top of my head. I'd have to hunt up my spare and measure to be sure.

mastertek2000
05-28-2012, 08:45 PM
So I see the factory hitch weigh is 17 LBS i think i can keep mine down to 10 LBS this will work great then the box is 17LBS that leaves about 23 lbs of stuff I did look into the GW he has posted on is site and the TW on it. Is 25LBS recommended and yet he is running a large box on it this is worth a try it's cheap money and some time as always I thank you for your input NT wil keep posting here hope to have time Tuesday or Wednesday will post when done

mastertek2000
05-28-2012, 09:19 PM
just read this if i am reading this correct tongue weight does not apply to this project

Eve*r*yone should know his or her tongue weight. Don't laugh to*o hard about the way that sou*nds* -- tongue weight is a towing* term, not something t*o do with the human mouth or dentistry. Tongue weight (TW) is just one of the many towing terms you'll need to familiarize yourself with if you ever intend to tow a trailer behind your vehicle. It's the downward force that the tongue of the* trailer applies to the hitch of the tow vehicle. Most experts agree that an acceptable tongue weight for any trailer is somewhere between 9 and 15 percent of the gross trailer weight (GTW). There's good reasoning behind these numbers, too. It all comes down to trailer towing safety.

If the tongue of the trailer does not exert enough downward force on the tow vehicle's hitch ball -- meaning that the trailer's tongue weight is too light -- a dangerous condition called trailer sway could result. If the tongue weight is too heavy, the steering of the tow vehicle will be affected. This makes it sound like tongue weight is a big deal, and it is. But fortunately, tongue weight is also easy to adjust.

Just remember that the trailer acts like a lever, and the axle of the trailer is the fulcrum -- or pivot point -- for the lever. If the tongue is too light, you need to move some of the cargo forward of trailer's axle. If the tongue is too heavy, you need to adjust the load so that more of the weight is behind the trailer's axle. It's just like trying to balance the weight of two kids on a seesaw at the playground. That's easy enough to understand, but other than simply lifting the tongue of the trailer and guessing its weight, how could you ever know how much the trailer's tongue truly weighs? And an even better question may be this: How would you determine if the tongue weight falls within the 9- to 15-percent range of the gross trailer weight? Read the next page to find out how you can do just that.
Print
Cite
Feedback

CyncySpyder
05-28-2012, 09:23 PM
46986This uni-trailer was hand-built by a fellow SpyderLover, who sadly sold his Spyder
46987and Teddy was lucky enough to aquire his uni-trailer
46988We have yet to hook it up and try it out, but are really looking forward to it

Just thought I'd post another possible option to a full-on trailer for those that are skillfull in such endeavors :thumbup:

NancysToy
05-28-2012, 10:01 PM
So I see the factory hitch weigh is 17 LBS i think i can keep mine down to 10 LBS this will work great then the box is 17LBS that leaves about 23 lbs of stuff I did look into the GW he has posted on is site and the TW on it. Is 25LBS recommended and yet he is running a large box on it this is worth a try it's cheap money and some time as always I thank you for your input NT wil keep posting here hope to have time Tuesday or Wednesday will post when done
The weight of the hitch has very little to do with it! nojoke It is more a matter of leverage. The tongue capacity is based on the hitch geometry, hitch materials, hitch bushings, hitch fasteners, and the Spyder suspension geometry and components. Add too much weight to the ball area of the hitch and you risk damaging the hitch, hitch bushings, swingarm, wheel bearings, or swingarm bushings.

mastertek2000
05-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Again, I urge you to be very, very careful about the load. With a 17 pound container and say 10 pounds of steel, you can only carry another 13 pound max. That's not much more than a gallon of milk.

The weight of the hitch has very little to do with it! nojoke
????
i will keep TW to 40 if that much at all

CyncySpyder
05-29-2012, 05:54 AM
I do know, as Scotty has plainly stated, you don't want to exceed the recommended 40 pound tongue weight-limit of the Spyder Hitch.

I know on our Moto-Mate camper, when I first got it, distributing the weight of cargo wasn't like usual. I tried the 40/60 method but got a lot of fish-tailing. I tried the 60/40 method & that caused the rear of the Spyder to turn into a BobbleHead. Found for the Moto-Mate, its 50/50 down the middle, and then its SMOOTH SAILING.

The reason I mention this, is to demonstrate, too much weight on the hitch ball, and you can change the handling characteristics of the Spyder & not favorably. Try taking a corner with your rear end bobbing up and down, NOT a fun experience. Not to mention, since the hitch is "UnSprung" (NO SUSPENSION) can you imagine how bounced up and down anything stored in such a container is going to be? Hence the reason, when Michael built the Uni-trailer we now have, he added its own shock to help absorb much of that energy.

Again, not saying this is a BAD idea, just proceed with caution, please. I'd hate to see someone damage their beloved Spyder or worse & possibly cause an accident or get someone else or themselves hurt, thats all I'm saying. Good Luck!

mastertek2000
05-29-2012, 06:20 AM
from every thing i have read TW is because the the axle on the trailer to much and your front tires will come up to less and it could lift your rear tire so i don't think TW is a factor here what is a factor is the rear hub bearing how much weight it can take Scotty knowledge of the spyder is better then mine for he has been around them longer then i and he is a very intelligent person from what i can see in is post i am not saying he is wrong nor i am saying he is correct i have fabricated a lot of things in my life i am a A.S.E master technician can some one tell me how much weight the spyder can hold as passengers ???
i am 190 wife is 110 i have seen much lager people on the spyders

my last toy i built
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/mastertek2000/Photo_102308_001-1.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/mastertek2000/Photo_102308_002.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/mastertek2000/Photo_101908_001.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/mastertek2000/P1010001-1.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/mastertek2000/P1010005-1.jpg

Bob Denman
05-29-2012, 06:25 AM
The factory hitch is thin. I'd say 0.060" off the top of my head. I'd have to hunt up my spare and measure to be sure.

Let me get this straight; you have a SPARE hitch??:shocked: :bowdown:
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: :thumbup:
I always figured that having just one was more than enough trouble for me!

dancogan
05-29-2012, 06:36 AM

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
Yeah, but you've got to remember, Bob, that Scotty isn't just any ordinary person like you and me. It takes a lot more to get him in trouble!

NancysToy
05-29-2012, 07:19 AM
Long story, it isn't complete. I bought it for a project, but never got to it. I did get to see the guts of the beast, though, so it was educational. I'm not a weird as Dan makes me out to be. :roflblack:

dancogan
05-29-2012, 04:41 PM
... I'm not a weird as Dan makes me out to be. :roflblack:

ummmmm .... yes he is ... but in a good way! :thumbup:

mastertek2000
05-30-2012, 04:46 AM
Ok so picked up a scale and started to weigh stuff just to see where i stand on the 40LBS TW
the hitch will be made of steel and Aluminum to keep weight down

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/mastertek2000/IMG_0709.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/mastertek2000/IMG_0708.jpg

box weight is 15LBS not 17.3 as they stated and that does include both master locks

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/mastertek2000/IMG_0711.jpg

we had some vacuum space bags that we where going to use for our trip to Chicago in July i use a inflatable matters pump to remove air from bags works just as well as a vacuum and fits in the palm of your hand
the pic you see there 18LBS whats included
2 fleece sleeping bag
2 towels
2 pillows

my stuff
2 pairs of pants
3 t shirts
3 pairs of shocks
2 pairs of underwear
1 pair of shoes
wife's stuff

3 pairs of pants
4 shirts
3 bars
3 underwear
1 pair of shoes

that brings grand total to 33 pounds and we still have frunk and both saddle bags to fill
with out this rear trunk i loaded the spyder with every thing you see in pics and frunk and 1 1/2 saddle bags where full that gave us 1/2 saddle bag to work with not much

Cal777
05-30-2012, 05:47 AM
Will the height of this box block the view of your liscense tag?

mastertek2000
05-30-2012, 06:00 AM
Will the height of this box block the view of your liscense tag?

it fits perfect between the rear lights and plate but i do have saddle bags with turn relocated

Bob Denman
05-30-2012, 06:39 AM
Question: Sprung vs unsprung weight... Does this affect this issue? :dontknow:
The Spyder carries the hitch and tongue weight as unsprung weight, unlike most conventional motor vehicle/trailer combinations.

mastertek2000
05-30-2012, 06:56 AM
Question: Sprung vs unsprung weight... Does this affect this issue? :dontknow:
The Spyder carries the hitch and tongue weight as unsprung weight, unlike most conventional motor vehicle/trailer combinations.
how can they say it's UW when every time the trailer on the ball moves up and down that has to be some kind of force there even if it's 5LBS

i believe SW is more of a factor to the rear hub you see a trailers will move up and down on the ball where this will be a steady force of UW that will never change don't get me wrong i would never overload this thing and only sleeping bags,shoe,clothes,pillows because everything in there will be subject movement i may be wrong but this is a test subject i am feeling good about this also this will only be on long trips other then that it will stay on the self

mastertek2000
05-30-2012, 07:16 AM
check this out this was a 02 Suzuki volusia 800cc they all said the bike was to small no one at the time made a hitch for so i made one myself on that bike was one great warrior it pulled 32cubit foot trailer to 49 states 6986 miles in total riding 2up

i truly believe this is way within the spyders capability

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/mastertek2000/touroftheusa934.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/mastertek2000/touroftheusa259.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/mastertek2000/touroftheusa1.jpg