PDA

View Full Version : Awaiting My 2008 Can Am Spyder.....

Questions
05-24-2012, 05:11 PM
46784Just Purchased my Spyder....not picking up till the 30th.;) Here is a pic....any idea how to get a different seat for it? It is a 2008 SE5.

DynamoBT
05-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Congratulations!!!!!! You are going to love it!!

boomerkc
05-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Bought my '08 about 5 wks ago and just got it to KC, had DPS recall done at dealer and finally was able to call it my own a week ago today. You'll really enjoy it. Here's mine....

spyder3
05-24-2012, 05:37 PM
:congrats: x 2

ARtraveler
05-24-2012, 05:53 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on the new ryde.

Jharpo
05-24-2012, 06:32 PM
The bike looks great. I've had my 2009 for a little over a year and I love it. For a seat, check out the dealers on Spyderlovers home page. You'll find Corbin, Ultra, and probably several others. Do your research and try to find one to try out. I fell in love with the Corbin and am having it installed next weekend.

Questions
05-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Also was wondering if anyone has an audio system on theirs? Would like to listen to my ipod if I could.

kawakii
05-25-2012, 02:22 AM
We love our corbin seat with gas door, no lifting up the whole seat when you gas up or having passenger get off when you gas up.

As for listening to music -- we bought SENA's which allow us to listen to our ipods but also talk to one another. They install in your helmet. it is great if you ride with other riders or have a passenger on the back. you can buy single units as well as dual packs. Here is a link to the dual pack

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=sena+smh10&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=18236354450329220092&sa=X&ei=zzK_T7mONMzlgge35dnQCQ&ved=0CL4BEPMCMAQ

napper39
05-25-2012, 11:07 AM
heres what ive done and the one with the radio i put in the case i can take off and on at will.the small one is by shark,and i listen on sd card with 300 songs its a 100 wat amp.sounds good up to 60 mph so heres some ideas.for moore info call 785 214 5012 ill help in any way i can.:thumbup::chat::chat:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Welcome Aboard, now the fun begins...Mike.... I also have a shark stereo 250 watt , wired remote so you can hide it, blk. pod speakers etc....$105 delivered....feel free to PM me for more info..:thumbup:.....PS Nice color choice...Yellow is the Fastest

Big Iron
05-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Welcome New Ryder!!!

bobnaquin
05-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Welcome New Ryder!!!
I am on my second 2008 Rs/gs. Welcome.

Seats: I like the stock one but it is not perfect. I use a beaded seat cover on it and love. But I deny that it is mine when people ask what it is. There are any number of gel seats, butt buffers, Air Hawks, sheepskin pads available. The choices are many and I doubt that any one is perfect or even suitable for everyone.

You can buy the BRP comfort seat. I had one and liked it. I wouldn't buy another. Russell Day Long makes custom seats by mail in. Corbin also does this. I have never had either one but have bought a spare stock seat to send to Russell Day Long. There is a another vendor on here but the name doesn't come immediately to mind. They make an aftermarket seat that people seem to like a lot.

My advice, not that you asked for it, is to ride a while and see if you really do need another seat. After doing 1200 miles in three days this week, I am not certain that a custom seat is going to add that much to my riding enjoyment. After being caught in the rain I was very thankful for the fact that the standard seat is waterproof: ie the foam does not get wet when left in a rain shower. Most custom seats will get the foam soaked due to the stitching leaking water.

Let me end by saying that when it comes to windshields, seats, motor oil, cleaning supplies you are going to get a lot of answers. They are all personal (well not the motor oil) and you may have to experiment a bit to get what is right for you. I find that part of the fun.

Questions
05-28-2012, 11:07 AM
thanks for your insight.

I am on my second 2008 Rs/gs. Welcome.

Seats: I like the stock one but it is not perfect. I use a beaded seat cover on it and love. But I deny that it is mine when people ask what it is. There are any number of gel seats, butt buffers, Air Hawks, sheepskin pads available. The choices are many and I doubt that any one is perfect or even suitable for everyone.

You can buy the BRP comfort seat. I had one and liked it. I wouldn't buy another. Russell Day Long makes custom seats by mail in. Corbin also does this. I have never had either one but have bought a spare stock seat to send to Russell Day Long. There is a another vendor on here but the name doesn't come immediately to mind. They make an aftermarket seat that people seem to like a lot.

My advice, not that you asked for it, is to ride a while and see if you really do need another seat. After doing 1200 miles in three days this week, I am not certain that a custom seat is going to add that much to my riding enjoyment. After being caught in the rain I was very thankful for the fact that the standard seat is waterproof: ie the foam does not get wet when left in a rain shower. Most custom seats will get the foam soaked due to the stitching leaking water.

Let me end by saying that when it comes to windshields, seats, motor oil, cleaning supplies you are going to get a lot of answers. They are all personal (well not the motor oil) and you may have to experiment a bit to get what is right for you. I find that part of the fun.

Y Blue
05-28-2012, 05:51 PM
My husband and I were fine with the stock seats until we did a whole day of riding with them. Last winter we took our seats off and sent them to Kontour to have the Kontour package done. I am very happy with my Kontour seat. The mesh keeps you cool in the hot weather as it lets the air go underneath you. The padding is made for you, based on your height and weight. I have a really bony butt and it really keeps it cushioned well. And the Kontour is waterproof.

I have not tried the Russel Day Long or the Corbin, but neither are waterproof and that was a requirement for us. Really happy we got the seats, well worth the wait.

Ralph2288
05-28-2012, 07:16 PM
The waiting is the hardest part :yikes: Congrats on your new ride! Hope the time passes quickly for you :doorag:

Tracy

stutzmason
05-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Actually ,,, the Phantom's are the Phastest .... cuz you never see them til they are past you:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Welcome Aboard, now the fun begins...Mike.... I also have a shark stereo 250 watt , wired remote so you can hide it, blk. pod speakers etc....$105 delivered....feel free to PM me for more info..:thumbup:.....PS Nice color choice...Yellow is the Fastest

Big Iron
05-29-2012, 12:40 AM
Tomorrows' The Big Day!!!

BugCollector
05-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Please post your impressions and pics. My wife is considering a Spyder and we'd love to hear more about them!

Thanks.

Enjoy your new baby!

Questions
05-30-2012, 09:01 PM
:doorag: Brought her home tonight....she is awesome...My husband drove it mostly because we were about 1 1/2 hours from home and it was 5 o'clock and I just got me permit on Tuesday and no driving time.....I drove it home from a town up the road and absolutely loved it.....have to get used to the throttle and not hold on so tight and just let the bike do it's thing.....My husband pretty much ran 65-85 all the way loving it....He has a Heritage Classic.....might not get him back on the two wheeler though....hehe. So easy to drive and so comfortable. Your wife will absolutely love it. I will add some photos of her all shiny. hehehe. Thanks all ... real glad I found this site and hopefully we can all ryde together soon.47088

Spydee8
05-31-2012, 12:55 AM
So happy for you!! You are going to love your new ryde. My husband and I got our Spyder in April, and are having a blast! This is a great site, and everyone is so helpful!! :2thumbs::congrats:

Dee

Big Iron
05-31-2012, 03:48 AM
Congrads' Again!! Welcome to the family!!

chickridin
05-31-2012, 09:33 AM
Congratulation on your new Spyder! Ride often and ride safe!

Questions
05-31-2012, 07:31 PM
Your bike is beautiful....I look forward to many more miles on mine. Thanks and Happy Ryding.:doorag:

So happy for you!! You are going to love your new ryde. My husband and I got our Spyder in April, and are having a blast! This is a great site, and everyone is so helpful!! :2thumbs::congrats:

Dee

Questions
05-31-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks so much....Happy Ryding to you too!!!!:yes:

Congratulation on your new Spyder! Ride often and ride safe!

Questions
05-31-2012, 07:39 PM
OK....had a bad day at work so couldn't wait to open the garage doors and take "Rumble Bee" out for another ryde....supposed to not be a nice weekend so figured I would get some ryding time in......was totally exhilarating and learning more and more each day.......was so much fun. Rode up to my Besties house and her and her 1 year old son were totally impressed with her.....Did take the saddlebags off. I think while I am on short runs it looks cooler:doorag: hehe. Well thanks all for all your awesome comments....you are all the greatest.

Questions
06-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Looked like rain a and a little cool but so wanted to go for a ryde.....husband is at work so I thought to myself should I do it all by myself...............oh yes I did...........had a blast.......had a few men come over at the bank parking lot and check her out...........they were impressed....hehe of course......picked up breakfast to go at the local diner and tooled around town for a bit........so much pleasure in this ryde!!!!;););)

Going to try to get some more seat time so enjoy your own weekend.....Chat with you soon......Loving my Spyder!!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Brenda.

SpyD2
06-04-2012, 05:13 AM
Welcome! I have a 2011 blue sm5 and love it! The stock seat is awful though, so I went with the BRP comfort seat. Huge improvement over the stock seat! The problem I encountered when trying to decide on a seat is that you cannot try them out before buying. You really just have to shop around online for one that you think might meet our needs and then read the rider reviews and then just make a choice and take the plunge. Some other things to consider for rider comfort might be handlebar risers and highway pegs. Enjoy!