PDA

View Full Version : Best BBQ in Michigan?

dancogan
05-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Looking for good BBQ in Michigan. Hope that's not futile. So far the best we've found near home is actually at City BBQ down in Sylvania, OH! lol

So, if you have a favorite place with really, really, really good BBQ, brisket, pulled pork, etc, please list it here with enough info so I can find it. I'm looking for places to ride this summer!

Thanks.

Rando
05-24-2012, 10:13 AM
http://alexanderthegreatbbq.com/

RTaz
05-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Looking for good BBQ in Michigan. Hope that's not futile. So far the best we've found near home is actually at City BBQ down in Sylvania, OH! lol

So, if you have a favorite place with really, really, really good BBQ, brisket, pulled pork, etc, please list it here with enough info so I can find it. I'm looking for places to ride this summer!

Thanks.

That's easy.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/beale-st-smokehouse-bbq-fenton

Littlebadwolf
05-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Take a look at Mlive.com...they're conducting a survey looking for the best BBQ in Michigan...Here's a link to the story...

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/jackson/index.ssf/2012/05/michigans_best_bbq_who_has_the.html

dancogan
05-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Mmmmmmm - this is going to be fun! :yes:

Thanks for the suggestions, and keep them coming.

Littlebadwolf
05-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Dan...Let us know when you're gonna discover one of these places...Maybe you can even coordinate a group ride to the BBQ...:ohyea:

dancogan
05-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Dan...Let us know when you're gonna discover one of these places...Maybe you can even coordinate a group ride to the BBQ...:ohyea:

That's an excellent idea. Something like the ride up to Joe's Gizzard City - just pick a destination and a time. Unfortunately for you some of the best looking places are in your back yard! lol Hopefully we'll get some more suggestions. And we could always stage an invasion of Ohio, the same way they came up to Michigan, and meet at City BBQ in Sylvania. In any event it will have to be after the Durango event.

Littlebadwolf
05-24-2012, 02:23 PM
That would work Dan...You're in charge of this one whether or not you want to be...T'was your suggestion...My brother in law used to have a bbq here in Jackson but he got reassigned with his full time job...That would have been one of the best....biased...no way...:)

SPYD1
05-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Jump over to Windsor, some say it is Michigan, and hit the Tunnel BBQ. Right at the exit of the tunnel. It has been around for 50 years or better.

RTaz
05-24-2012, 04:06 PM
That's easy.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/beale-st-smokehouse-bbq-fenton

by the way they were featured on Diners, drive ins and dives !

dancogan
05-24-2012, 04:30 PM
That would work Dan...You're in charge of this one whether or not you want to be...T'was your suggestion...My brother in law used to have a bbq here in Jackson but he got reassigned with his full time job...That would have been one of the best....biased...no way...:)

BBQ was my idea. The group Meet 'n Eat was definitely your idea. But I'll be happy to try to coordinate something. We'll be in CO for 3-4 weeks so it will be late July or some time in August.

5PYD3R
05-24-2012, 05:40 PM
If a ride is planned, make it for Sunday please if possible! I work Saturday's. The gf and I would love to ride with some other Spyder's!

rhansen309
05-24-2012, 07:30 PM
A group ride sounds like a great time. Living in Athens almost anything we do is 2 hours away. Riding for 2 hours for great BBQ is not a problem. We are looking forward to it. Thanks.

NancysToy
05-24-2012, 09:59 PM
There are several here, too. Not sure that any are world class, but they do get good reviews. There are at least four in Battle Creek. Maybe you need to do a "research tour". And here after watching you eat all those salads, I though you lived less dangerously. :roflblack:

Rachel
05-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Pig Gig is in Bay City the first weekend in August you could try several options there and see some racing pigs lol.

Littlebadwolf
05-25-2012, 05:46 AM
Pig Gig is in Bay City the first weekend in August you could try several options there and see some racing pigs lol.

This looks like a great option...everybody game for it?
http://www.piggig.com/

bnme
05-25-2012, 05:51 AM

I was at a VERY GOOD bbq place in jackson a while back, (I believe) it was at the Page Avenue exit off 127. If that's the one you're talking about, I agree. It was as good as any up north, and better than many down south.

5PYD3R
05-25-2012, 05:53 AM
This looks like a great option...everybody game for it?
http://www.piggig.com/

Not very far for me to travel, could walk to it pretty easily LOL

Littlebadwolf
05-25-2012, 09:22 AM
I was at a VERY GOOD bbq place in jackson a while back, (I believe) it was at the Page Avenue exit off 127. If that's the one you're talking about, I agree. It was as good as any up north, and better than many down south.

Yup...that was my brother in laws bbq place...The company he works for reassigned him down to New Mexico about a year and a half ago...was called the BBQ Shack...I worked there to help him out once in a while and know all his secrets...:)

dancogan
05-25-2012, 10:55 AM
..I worked there to help him out once in a while and know all his secrets...:)

BBQ at Larry's house!!! :yes:

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Littlebadwolf
05-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Dan...You must have been evesdropping on the conversation I had with Cindi last night. I was talking about buying a smoker and doing a little concession..A BBQ at our house may not be out of the question if I do get a smoker..The food at my brother in laws place was all smoked...lots of people get confused regarding bbq verus smoked even though it's regarding as a "BBQ"..Had more than one person remark that the food was undercooked because they saw pink in the meat close to the bone. This could be fun...:yes:

duneside
05-25-2012, 11:32 AM
We have a little place in Ludington called Butts & Bones. I'm no BBQ afcionado but I really like it. We do however have some pretty nice riding around here:yes:

dancogan
05-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Dan...You must have been evesdropping on the conversation I had with Cindi last night. I was talking about buying a smoker and doing a little concession..A BBQ at our house may not be out of the question if I do get a smoker.....

Yes, I was listening in ... ;) But seriously, let's keep in touch about good BBQ, whether it's smoked or just cooked and covered with BBQ sauce. We need to keep it within a day ride, but that should leave a lot of places to choose from. :yes:

SpyderAnn01
05-25-2012, 01:30 PM
If you are going to meet the Ohio group I'll have to find the Ohio football and pass it off to one of you in Durango. Problem is it is in a box that looks just like a whole bunch of other boxes.

dancogan
05-25-2012, 03:51 PM
If you are going to meet the Ohio group I'll have to find the Ohio football and pass it off to one of you in Durango. Problem is it is in a box that looks just like a whole bunch of other boxes.

The Ohio group, or Indiana, Wisconsin, or Illinois would all be welcome! Don't look too hard for that Ohio football. I don't know anyone who wants it. :roflblack::roflblack:

p.s. Ann, you'd be welcome, too. Isn't it time to schedule a return to Michigan?

Rachel
05-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Not very far for me to travel, could walk to it pretty easily LOL

Sorry it's the only bbq I know :) I'd be happy to meet up as well if I'm not working but it would be a short ride probably about 30 minutes from my place.
Not sure who's playing this year but I usually get VIP passes for the concerts from work, I could try and score some extras if anyone is interested in that PM me.

5PYD3R
05-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Sorry it's the only bbq I know :) I'd be happy to meet up as well if I'm not working but it would be a short ride probably about 30 minutes from my place.
Not sure who's playing this year but I usually get VIP passes for the concerts from work, I could try and score some extras if anyone is interested in that PM me.

Eh, no biggie. I would take some tickets if you can score some extras please!

Dragon Snake
05-31-2012, 10:04 PM

Thanks.

Smokey bones at the corner of M66 and Us 10 is excellent. Go there about once a month in the summer. We could go from there to ludington......just a little down the road!;)

bitsy224m
06-06-2012, 07:40 AM
I'M UP FOR A GOOD RYDE AND BBQ....MAYBE COULD HOOK UP WITH THE THE HANSEN'S......LET ME KNOW....
VICKI

dancogan
06-06-2012, 09:41 AM
OK! I'm keeping my eye on this thread and will try to put something together near end of July or in August.

dancogan
06-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Really good BBQ here at The Saucy Dogs BBQ in Jonesville, MI. This pulled pork sandwich was only $7 and I brought home a full slab of ribs which were very tasty!!!

Mmmmmmmm. That definitely looks like it's worth the ride! Those pics have my mouth watering.

Littlebadwolf
06-06-2012, 02:54 PM
That does look good......:yes:

NancysToy
06-06-2012, 04:32 PM
If I didn't have the Gilmore Show this weekend, I'd get a ride together. That stuff may kill me.....but what a way to go!

Littlebadwolf
06-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Have no designated plans this weekend...We just might take a ride and check this place out <Recon>.......and they have Keno to boot...:yes:

http://www.saucydogsbbq.com/index-sd.html

Dragon Snake
06-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Have no designated plans this weekend...We just might take a ride and check this place out <Recon>.......and they have Keno to boot...:yes:

http://www.saucydogsbbq.com/index-sd.html

I can go Sunday. That pulled pork is calling my name!!!!;)

dancogan
06-06-2012, 06:02 PM
I'd try to make it Sunday, too. Larry, what time were you thinking of getting there?

Edit: oh, yeah. Then we can give a report to Scotty ...

NancysToy
06-06-2012, 06:26 PM
I'd try to make it Sunday, too. Larry, what time were you thinking of getting there?

Edit: oh, yeah. Then we can give a report to Scotty ...
So I can expect not to see any SpyderLovers at our wonderful motorcycle show, I guess. You can eat BBQ anytime, but the Gilmore Vintage Motorcycle Show comes only once a year. ;)

redshooter700
06-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Sorry we are going to miss it scotty but I have Reserves this week end then we are headed to Pigeon Forge the hopefully Dragon Tail.

dancogan
06-06-2012, 07:46 PM
So I can expect not to see any SpyderLovers at our wonderful motorcycle show, I guess. You can eat BBQ anytime, but the Gilmore Vintage Motorcycle Show comes only once a year. ;)

And it IS a wonderful motorcycle show. I just don't know whether I'll still be getting the motorhome and trailer ready for the Durango trip, or have time for a quick lunch of BBQ. For those thinking of going to Gilmore - just do it! It's a wonderful show, and last time I was there my wife joined me and she really enjoyed it, too.

Rachel
06-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Eh, no biggie. I would take some tickets if you can score some extras please!

I'll see what I can come up with when it gets close and get them to ya at bike night. Btw ya better vote for me next week at ladies bike night. Unless you're letting your gal drive yours then I guess you could vote for her lol.

Littlebadwolf
06-07-2012, 04:50 AM
Looks like Sunday could be a go for the BBQ in Jonesville if I'm reading all this right...Anybody wanna suggest a timeframe...We can meet folks coming from this area at the Artesian (Town & Country)..and ride over together...and for those who can't make it...I think there's gonna be another opportunity...After all...it is a quest to find the best BBQ in Michigan...or Ohio...or Indiana...etc...

bitsy224m
06-07-2012, 06:16 AM
SCOTTY...I PLAN ON CHECKING OUT THE BIKE SHOW ON MY WAY HOME FROM CHIPAWA LAKE.....HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE....THEN MAYBE I WILL GO SEE THE OTHER SPYDERS IN JONESVILLE....THAT IS IF I GET MY OIL CHANGED TODAY ON SPYDEE......SEE YA ALL....NOW I HAVE TO GET TO WORK....:clap::clap::ohyea:

dancogan
06-07-2012, 06:33 AM
Looks like Sunday could be a go for the BBQ in Jonesville if I'm reading all this right...Anybody wanna suggest a timeframe...We can meet folks coming from this area at the Artesian (Town & Country)..and ride over together...and for those who can't make it...I think there's gonna be another opportunity...After all...it is a quest to find the best BBQ in Michigan...or Ohio...or Indiana...etc...

Let me know what time you'll be leaving the Wells and I'll try to make it. Probably won't know for sure until Sunday morning. It's gonna be a busy weekend. And hope you won't mind if I show up on 2 wheels. I'll have new tires and you know how important it is to scrub those in - especially before riding the MDH! lol

mxz600
06-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Connie and I may be up for Saucy Dog's on Sunday. I'll check back later to see whats happening.

5PYD3R
06-07-2012, 04:44 PM
I really want to do both of these and I just plotted it out and it is doable but it's just the wrong weekend. If it were the weekend of the 23rd I'd be at the show and go get some BBQ but I need to be an adult this weekend and do my chores. :( :cus:

You need to go Mr. Orange!!! I wanna see your Spyder! If it happens, the gf and I are planning on it. Got an urge to ride with some other spyders, I only get to ride with those lame-o fandangle 2 wheel thingamajiggys

rhansen309
06-07-2012, 08:38 PM
We would love to go but we just dropped off our bike to Trendsetters, a local air brush artist. He is doing some work on our Spyder and will have it for about a week. Maybe next time.

Dragon Snake
06-07-2012, 08:46 PM

where is town and country located at. Maybe I could meet you there and ride in with the pack. IT WILL TAKE 3 HRS TO GET TO JACKSON FROM MY HOUSE. Looks like a good day for a road trip and bbq.:):2thumbs:

Some Guy
06-07-2012, 09:18 PM

Hey Scotty!
I may be at Gilmore this Sunday...but, unfortunately I will be Spyder-less. I broke my rear shock on Memorial Day (the shock rod is completely missing!). The dealership ordered the parts right away, but they haven't gotten them yet.

I even tried to talk them into letting me take their RSS demo that they let me use today (to help me with my withdrawal symptoms!)...no luck...already promised to someone else.

Great dealership...just my own bad luck... :banghead:

5PYD3R
06-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Im starting to feel myself weaken. They really do have some good Q there. :bbq:What kind of times are we talking about. I'm thinking I can get to the bike show early and spend a few hours there and leave about 1130 or so which would put me in Joneville about 1-ish. That's my possible plan. How does that gel with others?

:popcorn:

I could make it to Jonesville at about 1. My secretary (girlfriend) reminded me of something else on Sunday but should be able to work around it. I will let ya know tomorrow

Rachel
06-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Can't make the bbq run or the other option so it looks like I'm going to Oscoda Biker Daze on Saturday and riding with the Harley boys on Sunday.
Never been to Oscoda but it's only an hour and they have a couple of things going on. You can find it on Facebook pretty easy and here's their website:http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e5r7xckmd078857a&llr=sedhzucab
The websites suck, here's hoping the event doesn't. There is also a military motorcycle and vehicle swap meet going on as well there, but I couldn't find much info on that so it might just be two guys in a parking lot trading parts with each other.
We may be going with a few other bikes on Saturday if anyone wants to join we can arrange a meet up in Standish, I'm thinking it will be around noon that we will leave but nothing is set in stone yet.

Littlebadwolf
06-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Town & Country is in Cement City at the intersection of Rt 12 and I-127, 14 miles south of Jackson...Jonesville is approximately 20 miles southwest from there on Rt 12...Straight shot..Looks like responses are going all over the place as to who's interested and who's not so I'll just plan on being there and we'll go with those who show up. I'll be at Town & Country at noon and will head out towards Jonesville at 12:30 sharp. I'm always up for BBQ....and Dan...Of course 2 wheelers are always welcome...don't think we're finicky weekend Harley riders who play biker with the new leathers and pressed blue jeans...:)...Just kidding...Had a Harley myself until I trashed my leg...reason why I went with the Spyder in the first place...Keeps me riding...

dancogan
06-08-2012, 09:01 AM
It's looking good for Geri and me. I had oral surgery Thur so just not sure about eating. LOL

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Littlebadwolf
06-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Here's a compiled list of BBQ places that the Citizen Patriot folks have listed as bein in contention so far....

http://topics.mlive.com/tag/bbq-michigan/index.html

dancogan
06-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Here's a compiled list of BBQ places that the Citizen Patriot folks have listed as bein in contention so far....

http://topics.mlive.com/tag/bbq-michigan/index.html

Oh my gosh! We're going to have to try all of them ... :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Littlebadwolf
06-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Just think Dan...this is only a partial list...:yes:

Rando
06-08-2012, 06:35 PM
I had the day off and the weather was just too nice not to go. Sorry, we couldn't wait until Sunday! It was delicious!

Link to Saucy Dog's (http://www.saucydogsbbq.com/index-sd.html)

dancogan
06-08-2012, 07:18 PM
I had the day off and the weather was just too nice not to go. Sorry, we couldn't wait until Sunday! It was delicious!

Link to Saucy Dog's (http://www.saucydogsbbq.com/index-sd.html)

So, Randy, was it good enough that you'll go back Sunday with the group of us? :roflblack:

5PYD3R
06-08-2012, 08:18 PM
:banghead::gaah: well I guess I am not going to be able to make it. We all need to plan something for a few weeks in advance so we can get a lot of :spyder2:'s to go!!

Littlebadwolf
06-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Wow...looks like most won't be coming...should reschedule for another time? Flexible schedule here....well actually no schedule....:yes:

Littlebadwolf
06-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Ok, Ok....got the phone calls <laughing>....It does in fact look like they're gonna come....Meeting 11-12:30....Heading out to Saucy's at 12:30

dancogan
06-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Larry,

Geri and I will make it!

Dan

Dragon Snake
06-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Ok, Ok....got the phone calls <laughing>....It does in fact look like they're gonna come....Meeting 11-12:30....Heading out to Saucy's at 12:30

See all of you tomorrow. Looks like good weather for a ride. Going try to meet at cement city. If not I'll see you at Saucys.:clap:

RLS
06-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Hey everyone,
It was really good to meet up with you all again. Saucy Dogs is probably going to be worth another trip out. Sorry we left early, but we wanted to get to Town and County and talk to them about an RT. What a surprise when we were told they weren't interested in the Victory. They don't handle the Victory line so they don't take them in on trade. They gave us a good price on the Grey RT with Joan's Spyder as a trade in, but I want to trade both bikes in. Probably list the Victory on EBay and see what happens. So, anyway it was a good ride, good to see everyone again. As soon as I contact the hotel in Petoskey about the fall Tunnel of Trees ride, I post it here.

dancogan
06-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Yeah, it was a really nice gathering. Geri and I were glad we could make it.

Bob, I didn't realize you were going to trade in the Victory. Maybe there are other Spyder dealers who would consider it in trade?

Littlebadwolf
06-11-2012, 05:51 AM
Had a great time as usual..We're looking forward to future adventures. Was great to see everybody again...:)

dancogan
06-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Had a great time as usual..We're looking forward to future adventures. Was great to see everybody again...:)

:agree: Larry, thanks for getting us all organized and at the same place at the same time! Kinda like trying to organize a herd of cats! :roflblack::roflblack:

pslawing
06-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Best BBQ on planet. Lexington, NC.

mxz600
06-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Wished I could have made it over for the BBQ, maybe next time.

I had to work Saturday morning and then went for a long ride after that. Yesterday I was feeling a little beat down plus all the work around the house that keeps getting away from me. I thought it best to stay home.

Sounds like it was a good time for all as is usually the case.

Bob, my dealer in Kalamazoo, Leaders Marine, sell Spyders and Victory motorcycles. Maybe you could work a deal with them if you don't mind buying out of town.