PDA

View Full Version : Boiling Fuel

Dar
05-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Add me to the list! Is this a widespread problem for the folks in the south, or just a select few? Went from south Louisiana to southern CA. this past weekend. Out in west TX. went to refuel and the gas cap had so much pressure I was scared it was going to shoot off. Only had the pressure problem 1 time. But rest of time after opening cap you could feel the high heat coming out of the tank. Also you could not put your finger in the tank for more than a couple of seconds. I waas pulling a Alumna MCT trailer and fuel mileage was from a low of 19.8i to 31 MPG with avg around 26. Usually had to fill up every 100 miles (that gets old quick). Any ideas on what needs to be done to keep tank from bowing up? Is this a BRP know issue? Please advise.

flybuddy
05-23-2012, 06:12 AM
Add me to the list! Is this a widespread problem for the folks in the south, or just a select few? Went from south Louisiana to southern CA. this past weekend. Out in west TX. went to refuel and the gas cap had so much pressure I was scared it was going to shoot off. Only had the pressure problem 1 time. But rest of time after opening cap you could feel the high heat coming out of the tank. Also you could not put your finger in the tank for more than a couple of seconds. I waas pulling a Alumna MCT trailer and fuel mileage was from a low of 19.8i to 31 MPG with avg around 26. Usually had to fill up every 100 miles (that gets old quick). Any ideas on what needs to be done to keep tank from bowing up? Is this a BRP know issue? Please advise.

I'm rather amazed at how close the exhaust pipes run to the fuel tank. BRP has put some insulation on the tanks in those areas. I've considered wrapping the exhaust pipes and I'm sure this would help the fuel situation. My one concern would be forcing more heat through the wrapped exhaust toward the catalytic converter which you can't wrap.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-23-2012, 06:23 AM
You can go to you're local auto parts store or order from JC Whitney or other sources on-line....get peel and stick auto insulation like for under hood etc. and add this to what is already on the gas tank.....the more expensive it is, the better it is ,generally speaking. Also I don't believe in wrapping the exhaust either but you can consider wrapping just the area nearest the gas tank ...approx. 6 inches......Mike...:thumbup:

NancysToy
05-23-2012, 07:57 AM
This happens far more than you realize...in all kinds of motorcycles. When you have a tank sitting above the engine, possibly exposed to the sun, filled with a fuel that has an average boiling temperature of 100 degrees F, it is bound to boil sometime. The tank and cap are designed to contain the resulting vapors and pressures. It is not something to worry about.....really.

Dar
05-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Well I also ride 2 wheelers. They may have boiled but never heard or saw. Can say for sure that the tanks have never ever gotten so hot where I could not put my hand on them without fear of burning them. Also never had such hot air escape the fuel tank opening like on the spyder.:banghead:

napper39
05-23-2012, 08:24 AM
i raped the pipe and nothing bad came from it.im not sure if it helped because i raped it soon after i got it.by raping it i mean all of it.:thumbup:

CyncySpyder
05-23-2012, 08:37 AM
i raped the pipe and nothing bad came from it.im not sure if it helped because i raped it soon after i got it.by raping it i mean all of it.:thumbup:
I hope for your sake:opps: that you meant that you "WRAPPED" the pipe & that you didn'"RAPE" it :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: otherwise, I'm sure you have some very interesting burn marks that you can't talk about on a family forum :lecturef_smilie::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: :roflblack:

sorry, I suck at spelling worse than most, but I couldn't help myself on this one:roflblack::roflblack:

Jeriatric
05-23-2012, 08:50 AM

I'm surprised some of these enterprising folks haven't developed a Spyder insulation kit. Maybe someone will?

Recently came across West Texas myself. It was hot enough to boil blood too. Mine!
The one time you had pressure when you removed the gas cap sounds to me like the vent in the gas cap had malfunctioned, that's not the first time I've heard of this happening on Spyders. Something to think about if it reoccurs.

boborgera
05-23-2012, 09:13 AM
This happens far more than you realize...in all kinds of motorcycles. When you have a tank sitting above the engine, possibly exposed to the sun, filled with a fuel that has an average boiling temperature of 100 degrees F, it is bound to boil sometime. The tank and cap are designed to contain the resulting vapors and pressures. It is not something to worry about.....really

:agree: It's normal but because the Spyders tank is enclosed next to the exhaust pipes so it holes heat more/longer than a Motorcycle tank it's more noticeable.

Dragonrider
05-23-2012, 12:58 PM
It's no worse than my old BMW K12, 1500 GW, or host of ATVs. The pretty tupperware holds the heat pretty well… Never had a real problem tho.

Dragonrider
05-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Or suffered a incomplete cannisterectomy. ;)

NancysToy
05-23-2012, 03:42 PM
All the modern vehicles I have owned, that have emissions control systems, have a tendency to build up pressure in the gas tank during portions of the purge valve cycle. The Spyders do it, my Ford truck does it, and Nancy's HHR does it, as have previous vehicles in the fleet. I am usually more surprised by a lack of hissing when I open the cap after a road trip than the other way around...especially with the trucks. That indicates "normal" to me.

Flight Risk
06-21-2012, 08:10 PM
I live in Dallas............and it's getting "warm" now........over a month ago some of us met at a "biker bar" in Addison. We parked our bikes after a ride just this side of Oklahoma. I parked across the parking lot and my friend who has a new Harley Davidson Heritage parked right up front. After a while, I started smelling gasoline like crazy (we were all on the outside covered deck). Some guys had just pulled in, one of them had a massive crotch rocket and he was bailing off of that thing. The top part of his tank was actually cracking. He opened the gas cap and several gallons of piping hot gasoline shot up into the air and landed on my friend's new Harley. Suffice it to say.......things got dicey after that........!

boborgera
06-21-2012, 08:53 PM
I live in Dallas............and it's getting "warm" now........over a month ago some of us met at a "biker bar" in Addison. We parked our bikes after a ride just this side of Oklahoma. I parked across the parking lot and my friend who has a new Harley Davidson Heritage parked right up front. After a while, I started smelling gasoline like crazy (we were all on the outside covered deck). Some guys had just pulled in, one of them had a massive crotch rocket and he was bailing off of that thing. The top part of his tank was actually cracking. He opened the gas cap and several gallons of piping hot gasoline shot up into the air and landed on my friend's new Harley. Suffice it to say.......things got dicey after that........!

Off hand i can't remember which bike had that problem i know it was a recall on that tank for some reason the tank vents weren't venting and the pressure build up would crack the plastic tanks. :yikes:

Dar
06-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Did this make a big or small difference? What kind of price range is this in?

1VENOM
06-21-2012, 10:49 PM
I've never had any fuel issues like this but I had my pipes ceramic coated by these guys. http://www.jet-hot.com/coatings/

I had the 2000 used on the main pipes from the heads and used their normal coating on the rest. I highly recommend this stuff. :2thumbs:

Hay Mr Orange do you mind telling us what it cost to have your pipe ceramic coated, pls.:pray:

dannymax
06-22-2012, 07:04 AM
I'm not sure if it was caused by boiling fuel or not but yesterday my :ani29: would hesitate when given a little throttle and was generally running rough in traffic. It was 96° on the on-board and very uncomfortable. It really felt to me like vapor lock the way it was acting and I could smell gas at stop signs. Also the temp gauge was running 4 & 5 bars instead of the usual 3.

It appears it doesn't like the heat any better than I do. :banghead:

Lamonster
06-22-2012, 07:21 AM
I you ride below 3500 rpms the purge valve never opens, best thing to do is keep your rpm's up and have your purge valve checked.

kentuckyguy
06-22-2012, 08:03 AM

It seems that as the summer temps get up above 90 degree here mine starts doing the same thing.. When I stop at a stop sign or stop light the gas fumes are so bad that it almost makes you sick.. Also after a ride I cant park mine in the garage until it cools down cause of the gas fumes are so bad.. I have had 2 wheelers in the past an NEVER EVER had a problem with the tank gettting this hot an darn sure didnt have the horrible gas fumes...

dannymax
06-22-2012, 08:17 AM
I you ride below 3500 rpms the purge valve never opens, best thing to do is keep your rpm's up and have your purge valve checked.

I am guilty of this....thinking that higher revs = higher engine heat. I must research this purge valve as I've never heard of such a thing before.

Flight Risk
06-22-2012, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure if it was caused by boiling fuel or not but yesterday my :ani29: would hesitate when given a little throttle and was generally running rough in traffic. It was 96° on the on-board and very uncomfortable. It really felt to me like vapor lock the way it was acting and I could smell gas at stop signs. Also the temp gauge was running 4 & 5 bars instead of the usual 3.

It appears it doesn't like the heat any better than I do. :banghead:

About 25 of us are going for an all day ride on Sunday........temp is supposed to be 99 degrees...........Lord have mercy and welcome to Texas!

dannymax
06-24-2012, 08:37 AM
About 25 of us are going for an all day ride on Sunday........temp is supposed to be 99 degrees...........Lord have mercy and welcome to Texas!

I don't know how you guys can take that kind of heat! :yikes:

I'd be in lock down under one of the A/C vents!! :ohyea: