PDA

View Full Version : Best technique for taking corners fast on the spyder?

Fire911
05-22-2012, 06:58 PM
I like to ride really fast and am still getting use too the spyder RS-S. What is the best technique for taking corners fast on the spyder? Body position, corner path etc....:yes:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-22-2012, 07:05 PM
There are way better riders than me out here....but this works for me.....grip the body ( of the spyder with you're knee's ) and keep you're upper body as low as is comfortable...the lower the center of gravity the better....I try to start my turns early and exit smooth....yes smooth is very good.....and practice practice practice......Good Luck.....and have FUN.....Mike....:thumbup:

Camdenlake
05-22-2012, 07:09 PM
So far i have used the same technique as i do on ATV's. I lean forward and inside the turn even sliding right off the seat to keep the weight forward and inside. I really like that part of ryding the spyder. No expert either but someday.... oh someday..... :).

josh

docdoru
05-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Sway bar + Elka's. :doorag:

Camdenlake
05-22-2012, 07:18 PM

:roflblack:
:roflblack::roflblack: :roflblack::roflblack:Well done sir.

bone crusher
05-22-2012, 07:55 PM
You can put a racer on a stock machine and a novice and a racing machine and you tell me who will win !

As parts will help , it's all in the rider !

True and false with that idea. If you gave Tiger Woods (at his best) crappy clubs, but ones that were a soft graphite, he would not win...he'd still need a stiff shaft club.

With the Spyder, the shocks make a big difference. I was going to get the sway bar, but some here told me the change wasn't as great as many thought it'd be. Plus, the company that made them went under for whatever reason. I did upgrade to the RT shocks on my RS and I can attest to the fact that they make a HUGE difference in the twisties.

The RS shocks (unless you have the Fox), are very soft and when hitting corners, you'll 'roll' out of them...swaying back and forth. Stiffer shocks allow you to hold the corner longer and recovery faster when you come out of it.

Most everyone has to hit the twisties in the same fashion or they'll be off their bike or going very slow. There really aren't too many ways to swing it when you're talking about centripetal (pulls you in) and centrifugal (pulls you out) forces...lean in and enjoy the ride!

flamingobabe
05-22-2012, 08:25 PM
the shortest point through the turn .. get your azz and body on the side of the machine -- lean with the turn , jump from one side to the other in the twisties... pushing and pulling with your hands and feet really doesnt do much but old habits are hard to break.

Hey Dwanton...I would pretty much agree with you...enter the curve and make a straight line thru the curve....I just love leaning out over the bike...too much fun!!!!

Paula(Butch2025)
05-22-2012, 08:44 PM
I like to ride really fast and am still getting use too the spyder RS-S. What is the best technique for taking corners fast on the spyder? Body position, corner path etc....:yes:

This is the advice I got at Spyderfest from SethO, Forest, & Scottie: chin over your knuckle. Boy does that make a difference!!! I can't believe how much better I can corner doing that11
--Paula

bluestratos
05-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Since I got the Elka's I have been pushing harder in the corners. Shortest path, I drop a bit to the inside of the curve with my upper body as if I was riding a snow mobile and keep as low a possible. I lift a wheel a bit and at that point thats all she can do before the back wheel skips a bit and the Nanny takes over. It is an awsome feeling but I am too old to be doing this so I have knocked it off... a bit... lol.

By the way I have the RT, I know I could do better with a sportier version.

smurfette
05-22-2012, 10:40 PM
I was forced onto an offramp at 65 mph, and by instinct I crouched low to the bike, holding it with my knees, and leaned into the turn. Smurfette held the turn and the road beautifully. Her big brother, the Tri-Glide would have been in trouble with its straight axle. The turn was so smooth, Nanny didn't even wake up!

Yazz
05-22-2012, 11:00 PM
All the above is true! But, there's an old saying around here about 'ryde like a monkey.' Lots of body english.

Gotta get your nose sticking over the hand of which way the curve is going... hunker down and shift your weight to the inside of the of the curve... get that seat position with one cheek hanging off the seat heading into the curve... feel the Spyder going into the curve... hang on and throttle up... sweet bliss....

And yeah, there are others who do not move at all and confound the people behind them by out-cornering us all!:gaah:

ABQ_Spyderman
05-22-2012, 11:02 PM
I've played with a lot of different techniques, and here's what works best for me. I'm 6' tall, about 200lbs, so I don't know how much that plays into it. But I set my front shocks to 5, and that's a good first step. But mainly, when I'm about to hit a big corner, I lean forward toward the inside of the turn and shift my weight so that my inside knee is pinned to the inside part of the bike. I can darn near take my left hand off the handgrip when turning right when I do this. Leaning helps, sure--but getting that weight shifted to the inside...getting your right butt-cheek over the edge of the seat on the inside of the turn--it's just incredibly stable. Also make sure you maintain speed and accelerate out of the turn.
Hope that helps. It's made a world of difference for me.

Best,
--ABQ

ABQ_Spyderman
05-22-2012, 11:04 PM
get that seat position with one cheek hanging off the seat heading into the curve...

Hey Yazz--no fair getting a butt-cheek reference in there 2 minutes before me! Well played. :cheers:

daveinva
05-22-2012, 11:18 PM
True and false with that idea. If you gave Tiger Woods (at his best) crappy clubs, but ones that were a soft graphite, he would not win...he'd still need a stiff shaft club.

Off topic, I believe Tiger's problems began with his stiff shaft club, no?

:joke:

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

SethO
05-22-2012, 11:59 PM
i am learning this also -- 900 miles in the saddle and getting better.

i have figured out just like on a bike -- the shortest point through the turn .. get your azz and body on the side of the machine -- lean with the turn , jump from one side to the other in the twisties... pushing and pulling with your hands and feet really doesnt do much but old habits are hard to break.

of coarse , this is my opinion .. you could always just sit on the machine and enjoy the weather.

You can put a racer on a stock machine and a novice and a racing machine and you tell me who will win !

As parts will help , it's all in the rider !

you have 900 miles on your bike and you are giving advice like this to doc or has over 150,000 miles on a spyder? Really, maybe its just you have not seen in your 131 posts who the people on here that ride hard and don't (which is your personal choice, I am not going to ask you to keep up with me and I am not going to sit behind you) but talking **** to doc about riding hard is just about as silly as saying a regular trike is just as sable as a spyder.

Truth, plain and simple, Jon from elka is sending me a set of fronts to replace my penskes

A spyder is more like a 4 wheeler that will not flip( I have seen one flip so bare with me on the "thats not true" crap) because of this cornering at 100mph is like doing open heart surgery with a chainsaw, you have to make it go into the corners, along with playing the Nanny so that it does not engage. Both of these things along with my requirement of a handbrake and balance of a toddler make it more physical of a ride.
I have found that I get better exit speed if I go for a wider turn entry, get it pointed in the right direction without being on the gas and then giving it as much gas as I can without having to turn into the corner so hard the nanny screws you.

Doc, Forest,jim from IA, Dan from MI, Len and Tom from cowtown are fast as they come on the spyder.

I didn't just think this up, read about on a forum or have a guy in the bar tell me its the best way to go. I actually did it, with a ton of risk to what is left of my body, you see most people really care about living or dying so when you don't several doors actually open up to you for testing things.

dancogan
05-23-2012, 06:12 AM
If I wanted to learn how to corner fast (and safely) I doubt I would take the advice of an internet forum as my guiding light. Try some hands-on instruction, such as an experienced rider course or Lee Parks' Total Control course. Try reading some books by recognized experts on the topic, which might include David Hough (Proficient Motorcycling and Street Strategies), Lee Parks (Total Control), or Keith Code (Twist of the Wrist) to name a few. There is much more to going around a corner fast than body position - it includes when and how to brake, when to deccelerate and when to accelerate and how to correct for errors mid-corner, among other skills.

A day at a track under the watchful eye of multiple instructors was one of my best learning experiences. It not only taught me how to go fast, how to corner and brake, but it also took care of that urge to go 100+mph on the street, after I got to feel what 115+mph felt like on a track.

Unless you know someone really well, have ridden with them and feel their riding style fits your needs, I would avoid the advice of even the people on this forum.

Mo Lee
05-23-2012, 06:16 AM
The fastest way through any corner is in as straight a line as possible, however I never speed!

docdoru
05-23-2012, 06:17 AM
WOW ! :thumbup:

Why would your opinion matter and not mine ?

And talking sh** ? REALLY ? :banghead:
Don't worry; your opinion does matter now as in four years from now. :doorag:

Bob Denman
05-23-2012, 06:21 AM
The fastest way thropugh a corner?? Try realizing that you were supposed to be on your way home a half-hour ago... :shocked: :roflblack:
But on the whole rider vs. equipment debate that's brewing; the rider will always get more out of his stuff than the stuff will get out of the rider..:thumbup:

daveinva
05-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Well, there's only one way to settle this, gentlemen: DANCE OFF!

Oh, and this is signature-worthy, Seth:

cornering at 100mph is like doing open heart surgery with a chainsaw

In a hailstorm.

After a few drinks.

With a drill instructor yelling in your ear.

;)

I ride like a madman, but I've never taken a corner at 100mph. I think the fastest I've taken a sleepy highway *curve* is ~95, but any angle I'd define as a proper "corner," maybe 60, 65 tops. And I've got to go full-on hang-off the inside, drunken-monkey style to do that.

I will vote for technology being more important than technique WRT the Spyder. A better anti-swaybar and shocks make a SERIOUS difference in cornering performance. I've pretty much always ridden with the swaybar (the first two weeks and, ummmm, 900 miles without it don't count ;)), but I just got upgraded (Fox) shocks after a solid year of riding experience and they immediately added 10++ mph to my cornering abilities. Could I have wrung that performance out via more "practice"? Perhaps, in time. Or I could just, you know, *buy* my way to a better ride.

I've got no problems standing on the shoulders of (mechanical) giants. I ain't riding a skateboard here. If Mother Technology wants to improve my ride, all hail Mama Tech! :bowdown:

Bob Denman
05-23-2012, 07:37 AM
There's no doubt that better stuff can help a mediocre rider (NO INSULTS INTENDED! :shocked:), but let's face it; somebody with talent can even win in a wheelbarrow!
And I'm the kind of rider who needs all of the better stuff that I can get!

wyliec
05-23-2012, 07:38 AM
If I wanted to learn how to corner fast (and safely) I doubt I would take the advice of an internet forum as my guiding light. Try some hands-on instruction, such as an experienced rider course or Lee Parks' Total Control course. Try reading some books by recognized experts on the topic, which might include David Hough (Proficient Motorcycling and Street Strategies), Lee Parks (Total Control), or Keith Code (Twist of the Wrist) to name a few. There is much more to going around a corner fast than body position - it includes when and how to brake, when to deccelerate and when to accelerate and how to correct for errors mid-corner, among other skills.

A day at a track under the watchful eye of multiple instructors was one of my best learning experiences. It not only taught me how to go fast, how to corner and brake, but it also took care of that urge to go 100+mph on the street, after I got to feel what 115+mph felt like on a track.

Unless you know someone really well, have ridden with them and feel their riding style fits your needs, I would avoid the advice of even the people on this forum.

:thumbup: Excellent post.

I do have one question. When does a corner turn into a curve? I think of a corner as typically 90 degrees or less.

Bob Denman
05-23-2012, 07:45 AM
It depends on how big of an "Oh :cus:!" moment it'll be if you miss it... :shocked: :roflblack:

wyliec
05-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Okay, I'll be more specific.

daveinva,

Since you mentioned 60-65 mph cornering, is that a 90 degree or less corner?

Bob Denman
05-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Sorry Wylie... :opps:
I always kind of figured "curve" and "corner" to just be two ways of describing the same thing.

wyliec
05-23-2012, 07:54 AM
There's no doubt that better stuff can help a mediocre rider (NO INSULTS INTENDED! :shocked:), but let's face it; somebody with talent can even win in a wheelbarrow!

:agree:

wyliec
05-23-2012, 08:03 AM
Dwanton,

You can question anyone you want and state your opinion.:thumbup:

zrc
05-23-2012, 08:03 AM

90% of the time I agree with this statement, however, after some interesting experiences, and the variable that only Seth really touched on is the Nanny. The nanny changes this on the spyder at times. The honest answer there is that the swaybar and elkas will actually help effect the red zone range with regard to the nanny. You can just push it _further_ before momma hits you with the stick.

Its like a 5 kid family, the 1 first kid gets more :cus: because his limits are more rigid (aka the stock stuff and the nanny), but by kid 5, the parents are just like whatever... (Aftermarkets give you a large range of push).

So yes, Great Rider on Stock > Novice on Aftermarket, however, when you put momma running with you hitting you with a stick, the margin would be closer than one would think. No disrespect to anyone, I have a long way to go before I am a seasoned and solid veteran like Doc and Seth, but I am going to pound ground with my Spyder until I am there, because it is fun as hell and I like the way it feels. That being said, we all have other variables, me alone versus me with Sonja on the back are 2 different drivers! I might get her a spyder just so I can be insane more :D

Bob Denman
05-23-2012, 08:39 AM
I have a long way to go before I am a seasoned and solid veteran like Doc and Seth, but I am going to pound ground with my Spyder until I am there, because it is fun as hell and I like the way it feels.

Amen brother!! :thumbup: :bowdown:

docdoru
05-23-2012, 09:09 AM
No disrespect to anyone, I have a long way to go before I am a seasoned and solid veteran like Doc and Seth, but I am going to pound ground with my Spyder until I am there, becaue it is fun as hell and I like the way it feels.
:doorag: :thumbup:

daveinva
05-23-2012, 09:26 AM

daveinva,

Oh, not even that sharp... probably 60, 70 degrees or so. A true 90 degree corner? Maybe 40 mph.

Okay, this settles it: I need a track day, a protractor, and a case of Red Bull, stat. :doorag:

Fire911
05-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I have lots to play with. :clap:

I lift a wheel all the time, even hangin like a monkey. My butt is usually partially off the seat, although bouncing from side to side is getting tough with my old beatup knees.

I need to save my pennies for at least some new shocks. Although it will have to wait until I get handle bar extenders. I find I have trouble controlling the throttle to the extent I would like, specially in a left hander. This has a major affect on my smoothness.

And of course , Practice Practice Practice.

dguisinger
05-23-2012, 10:04 AM
I was pretty much wondering the same thing. I've put about 300 miles on my Spyder since I bought it last weekend and I'm starting to get fairly comfortable in turns and curves, but they still leave me a little nervous.

I still haven't figured out how much I can actually turn the handle bars, I've been very timid with the turning the wheels and usually adjust the speed. The fact that I'm taking curves marked 55MPH with no G-forces at the posted speed vs 90 degree turns with some level of G-forces at about 20 tells me I can probably push things a lot further... I just don't want to go beyond the VSS limits and roll the machine. The manual says don't exceed vehicle limits, but of course never defines those limits.

I've also wondered about handling ruts in the pavement. I wasn't too thrilled the other day when coming under a bridge I came across a rut for the right wheel at 50mph - not that I want to lose control in optimal settings, but I definitely don't want to hit a concrete wall under a bridge at 50mph.

Bob Denman
05-23-2012, 10:05 AM
:D Practice DOES make perfect... :thumbup:

spydee owner
05-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Read akaspydermans thread about motorcycle accident stats. These bikes were - I believe - meant to be enjoyed in a safe manner. For example, take corners at speedlimit + 10 or 15 if the corner allows it. Don't ride roads at breakneck speeds if you are not familiar with the road.

Keep the crazy stuff for closed circuit riding.

Bob Denman
05-23-2012, 10:39 AM
With all of that gorgeous artwork on the front of yours; I'll bet that you like crusing "low and slow" for the benefit of the onlookers... :thumbup:

spydee owner
05-23-2012, 12:13 PM
With all of that gorgeous artwork on the front of yours; I'll bet that you like crusing "low and slow" for the benefit of the onlookers... :thumbup:If you look at the girls hair there is a big spider crawling out and up the web. The alien spider mother ship has released small spiders that infected her. She gets a lot of looks in parking lots.

SethO
05-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Don't worry; your opinion does matter now as in four years from now. :doorag:

Truth, spyders are not like motorcycles in the extreme aspect of cornering because of the the Tech, which has to be adjusted for if you want to go faster, again its your choice.

daveinva,

The fastest guy I ever rode with told me you take the posted, double it and add your ball size. Again if you think you are safer on a spyder, you are lying to yourself, you will lose to a Prius with one extra tire bouncing down the road.

90% of the time I agree with this statement, however, after some interesting experiences, and the variable that only Seth really touched on is the Nanny. The nanny changes this on the spyder at times. The honest answer there is that the swaybar and elkas will actually help effect the red zone range with regard to the nanny. You can just push it _further_ before momma hits you with the stick.

Its like a 5 kid family, the 1 first kid gets more :cus: because his limits are more rigid (aka the stock stuff and the nanny), but by kid 5, the parents are just like whatever... (Aftermarkets give you a large range of push).

So yes, Great Rider on Stock > Novice on Aftermarket, however, when you put momma running with you hitting you with a stick, the margin would be closer than one would think. No disrespect to anyone, I have a long way to go before I am a seasoned and solid veteran like Doc and Seth, but I am going to pound ground with my Spyder until I am there, because it is fun as hell and I like the way it feels. That being said, we all have other variables, me alone versus me with Sonja on the back are 2 different drivers! I might get her a spyder just so I can be insane more :D

That is a great explanation, I the 8 kid and the 7th son of 12 kids so I don't know if it makes it worse or better. The nanny will drop your corner speeds at least 20mph.

Thanks for all the replies. I have lots to play with. :clap:

I lift a wheel all the time, even hangin like a monkey. My butt is usually partially off the seat, although bouncing from side to side is getting tough with my old beatup knees.

I need to save my pennies for at least some new shocks. Although it will have to wait until I get handle bar extenders. I find I have trouble controlling the throttle to the extent I would like, specially in a left hander. This has a major affect on my smoothness.

And of course , Practice Practice Practice.

thats all you can do, I hope you understand that this is what works for me where I live and ride so you have to account for traffic, public track fees (tickets) and your safety and others.

Read akaspydermans thread about motorcycle accident stats. These bikes were - I believe - meant to be enjoyed in a safe manner. For example, take corners at speedlimit + 10 or 15 if the corner allows it. Don't ride roads at breakneck speeds if you are not familiar with the road.

Keep the crazy stuff for closed circuit riding.

I love your art work and color setup on your spyder.

Again this is a engine with some tires on it, you will lose to any cage no matter if you are going 20 mph or 100, I understand its alot easier to stop at 20 but anyone can drive 20mph, I have had trained 3 yr olds drive my bike at that speed on my lap.
I would love to see any unbias stat's of spyder accidents, I am trying to think of one owner on here that was in a accident with a deer ( I hit one a few years ago) or otherwise that was their fault directly, I don't count act of god stuff like my deer hit at 40mph.
The faster you go the higher the risk, but the risk is there no matter what the speed. I tell people that mob me at gas stations this all the time, If you can't accept the risk then don't ride, I have went over the edge once and that is what brought me to the spyder and th 98 out 100 great owners.

“THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.”
― Hunter S. Thompson (http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5237.Hunter_S_Thompson)

bikeguy
05-23-2012, 02:06 PM
“THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.”

Hunter S. Thompson (http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5237.Hunter_S_Thompson)

That's an honest statement if there ever was one!

You'll never really know how fast you can go until you know how fast you CAN'T go. I've found out how fast I can't go quite a few times on dirt. On the street - well, I'd just as soon not know.

Cotton

Chazzman
05-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Hey guys help me understand going through turns fast on a Spyder... I don't get it, I understand very well on two wheels because it is made to handle the curves. Too me fast curves and Spyder is like an oxymoron. It's just not made for that is it?

bone crusher
05-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Oh, not even that sharp... probably 60, 70 degrees or so. A true 90 degree corner? Maybe 40 mph.

Okay, this settles it: I need a track day, a protractor, and a case of Red Bull, stat. :doorag:

90 degrees at 40mph...no way...try about 15-20mph...any faster and you won't make the turn...

have one up my way if you want to slam into the bottom-side of a bridge...yikes!!

Sny
05-24-2012, 12:10 AM
I have found that I get better exit speed if I go for a wider turn entry, get it pointed in the right direction without being on the gas and then giving it as much gas as I can without having to turn into the corner so hard the nanny screws you.
That's actually the proper way to enter a corner for most vehicles. It's also why hard braking in a straight line before your entry is so critical to achieving the highest exit speed. When you do it right, it feels like dancing, not rough or forceful at all; almost peaceful, not scary or thrilling.

This shows two distinct lines for the same constant-radius turn.

The solid line shows the geometric line around the turn, while the broken line shows a late-apex turn. Following the geometric line, "A" marks the entrance point, "C" marks the apex, and "E" marks the exit of the turn. Since this line uses a constant turning force around the entire turn, the speed the vehicle travels though the entire turn (From A to C to E) is the same. If the speed is exceeded at all, the tires will lose traction, and the vehicle will slide off the line.
The late-apex line is a different approach to taking a turn. "B" denotes the turn in point, "D" marks the apex (Which is later in the turn than the geometric line, hence the name “late-apex” turn.—), and "F" marks the exit. In this case, however, once the apex is reached, the angle of the front wheels is significantly reduced, thus the vehicle can begin accelerating sooner without the fear of sliding off the line.

Which line is better? Both have their perks, but for most daily drivers, the late-apex line is usually the best. One reason is that street-driven vehicles can brake much faster than they can accelerate, so braking time is minimized and acceleration time is maximized. Although the entrance to the late-apex line is slower than the geometric line, because the initial turn in is harsher/sharper, by the time the apex is reached on the late-apex line, the vehicle can begin accelerating, thus maximizing the amount of time on the throttle. In this case, at point "C" the vehicle running the geometric line is traveling faster, but point "D" marks where the late-apexing vehicle can begin to increase the throttle, whereas the geometric-apexing vehicle must wait until point "E". By the time both vehicles reach point "F", the vehicle that took the late-apex will be traveling significantly faster than the other vehicle, and that speed will be carried to the next turn.

The late-apex also gives you many more options once you reach your apex. You can remain slow at that point if there's something in the road or traffic ahead. If something goes wrong it generally happens at a lower speed as well. It's also easier to actually execute and requires less "perfection".

The nanny will drop your corner speeds at least 20mph.
If you hit the corners right the nanny will sleep peacefully throughout the turn and you'll achieve speeds significantly greater than what you would ever expect.

I actually did it, with a ton of risk to what is left of my body, you see most people really care about living or dying so when you don't several doors actually open up to you for testing things.
And that's why everyone else does the caring for you. I hope you never forget what an inspiration you are to others.

Pandy
05-24-2012, 05:45 AM
Whack the throttle and lean into it?46758:yes:

Patrick

Bob Denman
05-24-2012, 06:40 AM
If you look at the girls hair there is a big spider crawling out and up the web. The alien spider mother ship has released small spiders that infected her. She gets a lot of looks in parking lots.

:yikes: I am completely and utterly terrifed of arachnids... But your artwork is still great! :thumbup:

(Way too long of a boring story anyway...):opps:

spydee owner
05-24-2012, 07:30 AM
:yikes: I am completely and utterly terrifed of arachnids... But your artwork is still great! :thumbup:

(Way too long of a boring story anyway...):opps:
I know a fella who has arachnophobia ...... I saw it first hand and his reaction was pure terror.
Bob did you know that spiders have multiple spinerettes and the silk from each has different tensile strength to suit a particular purpose? For exampe, making the center of the web as compared to the outside of the web or wrapping its prey or a spiders safety line.

Sorry for getting off the cornering topic.

Bob Denman
05-24-2012, 07:56 AM
His reaction was probably MILD compared to mine.. :shocked:
Enough of this or I'm going to have to go home and puke! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_7.gif

Rayelljay
05-24-2012, 09:48 AM
This is gettin' funny...but...we each have our own styles because of our individual physical builds....a six foot ryder will corner differently from a five footer.
There are a few great rules that will, if you ignore them, come to visit you in the emergency room.
Do yer brakin and gear shiftin' in a straight line....wide entrance...pick yer apex and anchor yer body with the inside knee and remember if you can't stop within yer cornering visibility you could be dryving up an inclined plane twisted around a vertical axis.
Honestly, I'd love to see Bob or Setho in a frisky mood on a twisty road...!!!!

Ga Blue Knight
05-24-2012, 10:31 AM
As there is always a cost versus function beneifit to add ons there is also a performance versus experience benefit with performance upgrades. Only the rider can truly (if they are honest with themselves) determine if that new wiz bang racer ready performance upgrade is either needed to enhance the way they ride or to just impress their buds. I am a point a to point b rider at pretty much the speed limit plus or minus 10 mph. Other than a Hindle muffler (cause I like the sound) anything else would be a waste for me. Now Doc on the other hand is probably at the outer edge of experience and the need for performance enhancements, no not that kind, the motorcycle kind!

wyliec
05-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Honestly, I'd love to see Bob or Setho in a frisky mood on a twisty road...!!!!

What Bob are you talking about?

Bob Denman
05-24-2012, 11:06 AM
:shocked: It ain't me! :yikes: I ryde old,slow and low! :thumbup: :ohyea:

bone crusher
05-24-2012, 06:39 PM
When it comes to cornering, the forces applied by the rider are based on the centripetal/centrifugal association. The movement has to be similar no matter what the size of the rider is. It's the forces that determine the necessary lean/tuck to keep the bike from waffling and perhaps lifting a wheel...

SethO
05-29-2012, 05:12 AM
When it comes to cornering, the forces applied by the rider are based on the centripetal/centrifugal association. The movement has to be similar no matter what the size of the rider is. It's the forces that determine the necessary lean/tuck to keep the bike from waffling and perhaps lifting a wheel...

I disagree with the effect of a the size of the rider, if I ride against jim I can see where he shifts his weight and he gets a different result than me being 75 lbs lighter and not a mobile because of my handicrappness.

There is some good ways for me that work but not for others because of the same non mobile issue. Full humans have a big advantage over me in that sense, not that I can't do well, just have to do it with less.

Digging thru my videos I forgot I had this one with the wheelchair mount camera angle, its not a super twisty road but it show how much i move compared to other people. There are other videos where the go cam is on my head and you will see me shift back into the center of the bike because my butt slid one way or the other, which costs me time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4JNqdGDZcI

mastertek2000
05-29-2012, 05:22 AM

practice practice practice we can tell you lots of stuff but you must try what works for you

i personally when alone i think of like a snow mobile ans almost slide my self off the seat to Conner i find that works great at high speed just start slow good luck

Chazzman
05-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Cool Video Seth!

latinojj
06-02-2012, 03:56 PM
This is the advice I got at Spyderfest from SethO, Forest, & Scottie: chin over your knuckle. Boy does that make a difference!!! I can't believe how much better I can corner doing that11
--Paula

Yes> 100% AGREE !!!!!!!

BajaRon
06-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Doc, Forrest, jim from IA, Dan from MI, Len and Tom from cowtown are fast as they come on the spyder.

Doc is fast. I had the opportunity to ride the twisties all out with him. Great ride!

I've not had the same chance with the rest (or you either SethO) so I'll just take your word for it.

I did find that Forrest isn't all that fast when he is towing a trailer! But I would never challange his ditch jumping expertise!

SpyderDuck
06-04-2012, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=SethO;457972]
The fastest guy I ever rode with told me you take the posted, double it and add your ball size. Again if you think you are safer on a spyder, you are lying to yourself, you will lose to a Prius with one extra tire bouncing down the road.

So... being female, I use my boob size?:roflblack: Gotta make sure I get the formula right!

And now ya got me imagining racing my Spyder against my Prius...:p

I love ryding with Ltownblue, but we do ryde differently. I'm 5'3" and rather round, while he's taller and very muscular. He can get his butt off the bike to shift it over, but I don't have as much leg to work with, and a much bigger butt to lift, lol! But I assume we both apply similar principles to carving the curves; there are some things that you just can't get around. My basic philosophy is to lean enough to keep my butt on the bike and the bike on the road! Blue's kind enough not to leave me in the dust, thank goodness. I can't express enough appreciation for that guy.

As the firstborn, I'm more timid; my sister Catniption is much more adventurous, and always has been. There's something to that philosophy!

On another note, I would love to ryde with you or Doc sometime, simply because you guys are legends. Yeah, you guys would make me look like I am in reverse, but it'd be fun to watch ya for as long as I could still see ya. :bowdown:

Nose over knuckle. Gotta remember that. :thumbup:

docdoru
06-04-2012, 06:59 PM
My basic philosophy is to lean enough to keep my butt on the bike and the bike on the road! As the firstborn, I'm more timid; my sister Catniption is much more adventurous, and always has been. There's something to that philosophy!
On another note, I would love to ryde with you or Doc sometime, simply because you guys are legends. Yeah, you guys would make me look like I am in reverse, but it'd be fun to watch ya for as long as I could still see ya. :bowdown:

Nose over knuckle. Gotta remember that. :thumbup:

Legends? Nope, just normal guys who pay retail for our rydes...;)

steve635
06-04-2012, 07:40 PM
I know it helps to lean to the inside in the corners (comes natural after riding 2-wheelers anyway, I like to brace my outside leg and slide my butt to the inside), but how does this stop the wheel from coming off the ground? It seems that moving more weight to the inside would make the outside more likely to come up not less. What am I missing here?

steve635
06-04-2012, 07:44 PM
As an addendum to my above post, did you ever see pics of old motorcycle sidecar races? The guy in the sidecar would hang waaaaay over the side when on the outside of a turn to try to hold the wheels down. How are we different?

Grandpa Spyder
06-04-2012, 08:15 PM
I have found the best way to take corners and curves fast is to leave the SO at home.:roflblack:

Yazz
06-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Just depends on the road grade.

Its all about working with centrifugal force...

bone crusher
06-04-2012, 08:27 PM
I disagree with the effect of a the size of the rider, if I ride against jim I can see where he shifts his weight and he gets a different result than me being 75 lbs lighter and not a mobile because of my handicrappness.

There is some good ways for me that work but not for others because of the same non mobile issue. Full humans have a big advantage over me in that sense, not that I can't do well, just have to do it with less.

Digging thru my videos I forgot I had this one with the wheelchair mount camera angle, its not a super twisty road but it show how much i move compared to other people. There are other videos where the go cam is on my head and you will see me shift back into the center of the bike because my butt slid one way or the other, which costs me time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4JNqdGDZcI

Seth, the physics are the same...you still have to lean to combat the centripetal forces...this is univeral, no matter what...now, how much you lean to accomplish this will be different person to person...

bone crusher
06-04-2012, 08:31 PM
I know it helps to lean to the inside in the corners (comes natural after riding 2-wheelers anyway, I like to brace my outside leg and slide my butt to the inside), but how does this stop the wheel from coming off the ground? It seems that moving more weight to the inside would make the outside more likely to come up not less. What am I missing here?

If you do not lean, the inside tire will come up. It's pretty darn hard to lift the outside tire as it's the centripetal force that is trying to keep your bike going in a straight line. If you get the inside tire off the ground, you are getting beaten by the centripetal forces, and honestly, you need to do better. You don't want any tire to come off the ground, obviously.

Look at it this way to keep it easy. Leaning in will keep the inside tire down. Not leaning or leaning out will lift the inside tire and could get you off the bike.

NancysToy
06-04-2012, 09:22 PM
As an addendum to my above post, did you ever see pics of old motorcycle sidecar races? The guy in the sidecar would hang waaaaay over the side when on the outside of a turn to try to hold the wheels down. How are we different?
Look again. A sidecar "monkey" shift his weight to the inside of a turn toward the car, to try to keep the car down. He shifts his weight over the tire in a turn away from the car to keep the drive tire in contact with the ground. A trike rider must lean or shift his weight to the inside of a turn to keep the inside tire from lifting.

steve635
06-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Good explanations, I had a little brain fart there and was all bass ackwards (must be residual thinking from that visit to Bizzaro World).

AMTJIM
06-05-2012, 12:17 AM
I've done track days with my Spyder, not sure more sticky tires are a good idea. I have almost rolled it several times on stock fronts. My handlebars are reduced in width so I can use more body ballast, I am halfway off the machine and low as possible with just tips of my fingers and toes touching the outside bar and peg. Just as animated as on my sportbike. Beware, if the VSS kicks in you almost feel like your going to get thrown over the front inside fender and it usually causes 3~4 hard VSS pulses. It's quite a fun wrestling match. Also, I don't think the VSS triggers the brake light so watch your spacing if you are are the twisties with others.

SethO
06-05-2012, 01:06 AM
you can see the difference between the normal bike lines and what a spyder takes in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyuKX5Rvav4

shocks make a difference on the track as well.

here is a video at BIR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWv7f5NDuww

flaggerphil
06-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Having ridden bikes since 1968, though admittedly only riding a spyder since March of this year, it would seem to me that if you're lifting a wheel on public roads you're simply riding too fast.

But that's just me.

I loved the video of Brainerd. Just out of curiosity, is there a spyder road racing organization? Not just track days, but actual racing.

SethO
06-05-2012, 02:03 AM
Having ridden bikes since 1968, though admittedly only riding a spyder since March of this year, it would seem to me that if you're lifting a wheel on public roads you're simply riding too fast.

But that's just me.

I loved the video of Brainerd. Just out of curiosity, is there a spyder road racing organization? Not just track days, but actual racing.

BRP are you reading this? I would make every racing event I could effort and a few I could not. Lets do this because it does not exist unless you count what doc, jim, dan and I do when we meet up.

bone crusher
06-05-2012, 06:17 AM
[QUOTE=SethO;464177]you can see the difference between the normal bike lines and what a spyder takes in this video

Seth,

You are the video master!!! I have a Drift Innovation HD170 camera that I use for skiing...I haven't yet put it on the bike, but it would be cool to do so...

Bob Denman
06-05-2012, 06:39 AM
BRP are you reading this? I would make every racing event I could effort and a few I could not. Lets do this because it does not exist unless you count what doc, jim, dan and I do when we meet up.
:agree: :thumbup:

docdoru
06-05-2012, 07:03 AM
SethO, we start asking for this 4 years ago with no results: my trip/ryde to Minnesota Brainerd International Raceway, your trip to Florida Clearwater Sunshine Dragway, both of us to Utah Bonneville Salt Flats, so many "Non-Endorse Performance Testing". How about we officially challenge the Valcourt Quebec Factory Team?
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/9-9-20108-46-18PM.png

docdoru
06-05-2012, 07:07 AM
A trike rider must lean or shift his weight to the inside of a turn to keep the inside tire from lifting.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/10-1-201011-29-50AM-1.png

NancysToy
06-05-2012, 07:23 AM

OK, Doc, I'll ammend that to say "...from lifting too far."

bone crusher
06-05-2012, 10:16 PM

Doc, you definitely don't want your bike to do this around turns...that's some bad weight transfer there! :shocked:

SethO
06-05-2012, 11:22 PM
SethO, we start asking for this 4 years ago with no results: my trip/ryde to Minnesota Brainerd International Raceway, your trip to Florida Clearwater Sunshine Dragway, both of us to Utah Bonneville Salt Flats, so many "Non-Endorse Performance Testing". How about we officially challenge the Valcourt Quebec Factory Team?
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/9-9-20108-46-18PM.png

I am throwing down the gauntlet too, if the place they test spyders is in WI I am just a state west, I will beat the crap out of whatever I can drive there and some things I shouldn't tell me what kind of feed back you want and I will get it or it can't be done by a half a person.

Bob Denman
06-06-2012, 06:40 AM
I will get it or it can't be done by a half a person.

:shocked: What's this about? You've got more heart than the rest of us combined! :bowdown: :thumbup: