PDA

View Full Version : Front tire rotated

kyspydergal
05-22-2012, 05:23 PM
I had my RS in for service Saturday. The front tires were wearing on the inside and needed to be rotated. I have 6,400 miles on them. I had little to no vibration in the handle bars prior to the rotation. When riding home I noticed quite a bit of vibration. I should have taken it back but didn't have time. Didn't notice while in town at slower speeds but really got alot of vibration at highway speeds. Did they not balance them properly or is it something else?

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-22-2012, 05:58 PM
At 6400 miles if you had a lot of inside wear it may have been too late to save the tire....IMHO the answer to your problem would have been a slight camber adjustment and I know BRP claims it can't be done .....but the front suspension setup says it can and a few brave souls here have done it with success.....me being one of them......and passenger car are so in-expensive rotating them may cost more than buying new ones...especially if the rims get damaged in the process of rotating the tires get ......sorry for your problem, and maybe they didn't try to balance them a lot of dealers aren't equiped for that...or maybe they just couldn't balance them and won't admit it......how has the dealer for service so far.......Mike...:thumbup:.....If a camber adjustment is not in the cards set the preload on the front shocks to 5 and that will help counter act the lack off camber you now have.....

kyspydergal
05-22-2012, 06:18 PM
The dealer has been good so far. The mechanic showed me the wear before rotating and it was almost down to the wear indicators on the inside of both tires. He said I'd probably need to replace the tires by the time I hit 12,000 miles. He took it for a test ride before I left. He was gone for a while but I don't know if he got it up to highway speed. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow.

NancysToy
05-22-2012, 06:43 PM
If I were you, I'd have the alignment checked. Although BRP insists this is "normal", many Spyders do not show uneven wear after they are aligned properly. You new vibration sure sounds like a wheel balancing issue. If so, Ride-On might help. Did they remove the old weights and rebalance, just remove the weights, or do nothing at all?

kyspydergal
05-23-2012, 07:33 AM
I have an appointment to take it back in to the dealer tomorrow evening. The service manager says they will take care of it. I'll definitely mention the alignment. He seems to think maybe a wheel weight just came off. Hoping for a good outcome.

boborgera
05-23-2012, 08:38 AM
I have an appointment to take it back in to the dealer tomorrow evening. The service manager says they will take care of it. I'll definitely mention the alignment. He seems to think maybe a wheel weight just came off. Hoping for a good outcome

Just wondering did they dismount the tires [take them off the rims] or just switch them from one side to the other?

kyspydergal
05-23-2012, 08:54 AM
They took them off the rim.

boborgera
05-23-2012, 10:13 AM
They took them off the rim.

:thumbup:
:thumbup:

3whlLefty
05-23-2012, 01:35 PM
I have this same problem with inside wear. The dealer says it's all in spec. They also claim that aggressive cornering will cause this type of wear. I do have a lot of 'dancing' over uneven road surfaces and seams. I'm at 9500 miles and am starting to research my car tire options.

About alignment. The only adjustment seems to be for toe-in and the factory process is rather complex. Has any one tried an auto alignment shop? Except for the narrow front end it seems that we s/b able to run the Spyder onto an alignment machine and make the adjustments. What am I missing here? I may go try some shops locally to see what reaction I get. My nearest dealer is over 100 miles away in Las Vegas. 100 miles of freeway is not my idea of a fun ride!

kyspydergal
05-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Mine dances around too on uneven surfaces and seems. I thought it was normal until I rode my friends and hers did not dance around at all. Mine is an 09 her's is 2010 should that make a difference?

NancysToy
05-23-2012, 03:20 PM
The dancing around is almost a sure sign of inadequate toe-in...although it could also indicate worn suspension parts.

happyspyder2039
05-23-2012, 08:56 PM
I had my RS in for service Saturday. The front tires were wearing on the inside and needed to be rotated. I have 6,400 miles on them. I had little to no vibration in the handle bars prior to the rotation. When riding home I noticed quite a bit of vibration. I should have taken it back but didn't have time. Didn't notice while in town at slower speeds but really got alot of vibration at highway speeds. Did they not balance them properly or is it something else?

Just my 2 cents but I am guessing its out of balance & missing a wheel weights.Since the tires are directional they had to swap Rims. I Had the same thing happen when i tried 6 spoke rims. then went back to orginal rims. The Spyder ran fine at speeds lower the 40 but above that shook the h..l out of the front end and handlebars.

kyspydergal
05-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Ok so I went back to the dealer yesterday. They checked the balance and said it was off just a little bit but shouldn't have been enough to make it vibrate. They added another wheel weight took it for a test ride and then had me take it out since they did not ride it prior to the added wheel weight. Seems to be good now. I hope to get at least another 6000 miles before new tires.