PDA

View Full Version : How many beers fit in the frunk?

steve635
05-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Getting ready to make a road trip to procure some of that sweet ambrosia the Atlantic coasters refer to as Yuengling Lager. Nearest outlet is about 95 miles away. I'd like to take the Spyder, but not sure how many cans I can fit in the frunk. Anybody know from experience, or would like to hazard a guess (please distinguish whether answer is experience or "wag")?
BTW, these are merely being transported, have no intention of drinking and driving (surely someone would have assumed the worst....picturing me as a modern day Boozefighter above a cluster of empty cans piled beneath the Spyder!).

arntufun
05-21-2012, 12:50 PM
I know for a fact that a 18 pack of twelve ounce cans will fit boxed with more room to spare. I'm going to guess if the beers were not in a box and stacked correctly...................... 30 :thumbup:

This is an RS with a frunk liner, an RT will be different.

Luckyme
05-21-2012, 12:55 PM
I'd venture to guess quite a few? We don't have Yuengling in KY, but wish we did. If I encounter them on my trip back from picking my bike and trailer up at Cowtown on Thursday, I might be able to advise later this week how many will fit in an empty RT-622 trailer. 622 liters of space = X number of 12 oz. bottles? :shocked:

steve635
05-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks Arntufun,
Your estimate of 30 is duly noted, I'm hoping the absence of a liner and some innovative stacking will up that number. My RS is having the initial service done or I'd be establishing the definitive count once and for all!

steve635
05-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks Luckyme and while I agree with your assessment, I'm afraid "quite a few" cannot be considered an official entry. We're going to need something a tad more specific :lecturef_smilie:

arntufun
05-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Remember 24 cans of beer is about 20 lbs, so 30 beers in your frunk you will notice your Spyder's handling will be strange. :thumbup:

steve635
05-21-2012, 01:14 PM
According to that unimpeachable source Wickipedia, you are right on the money regarding weight. The beer run however will be primarily straight ahead superslab, and not much of a handling challenge, so I won't mind flirting with the 35# limit on this run.

arntufun
05-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Your handling will not be strange! I carry 5 gallons of gas around all the time in my frunk will no ill effects.

That because your used to it. :roflblack:

I rolled my change I have been collecting for years and stuck them in my trunk and went to the bank. The frunk was half full (423.00 worth) and the Spyder's handling felt really weird, like a rolling feeling.

Stock shocks set at 5

steve635
05-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Okay, so handling is acceptable with 5 gals. gas, gas is a little over 6 lbs. per gallon, so this is confirmation that handling is acceptable with over 30 lbs. in frunk. This translates to about 36 cans (which I doubt even the most innovative packingwill exceed), so primary limiting factor appears to be volume rather than weight. You know a maximum frunk beer load would be a handy item to have in the owner's manual!

Bob Denman
05-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Too bad that you can't get somebody to come along with an RT so that a Beer wagon comparison could be made...
The RTs greater capacity and the ability to spread the weight more evenly; Isn't that alone a good reason to favor it over the poor RS/GS and their limited capacity for "hydraulic sandwiches"? :roflblack:

steve635
05-21-2012, 01:53 PM
"The RTs greater capacity and the ability to spread the weight more evenly; Isn't that alone a good reason to favor it over the poor RS/GS and their limited capacity for "hydraulic sandwiches?"

Hmmmm...No.

rnet
05-21-2012, 01:59 PM
My guess would be 62, with a little ice to keep it cold.:yes:

steve635
05-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Too bad that you can't get somebody to come along with an RT so that a Beer wagon comparison could be made...
The RTs greater capacity and the ability to spread the weight more evenly; Isn't that alone a good reason to favor it over the poor RS/GS and their limited capacity for "hydraulic sandwiches"? :roflblack:

For that matter I could just take the Ram 1500.....holds way more than an RT....and I'll hold back any comment over which is sportier:thumbup:

zrc
05-21-2012, 02:01 PM
The good news is this, without a frunkliner (I dont have one myself), you can basically turn your frunk into a small rolling icebox / cooler / minibar.

Not that I have done it... Well, at least not this week... The week starts with Monday not Sunday right?

steve635
05-21-2012, 02:02 PM
"My guess would be 62, with a little ice to keep it cold."

Now here's a man who thinks positively!

steve635
05-21-2012, 02:05 PM
"The good news is this, without a frunkliner (I dont have one myself), you can basically turn your frunk into a small rolling icebox / cooler / minibar."

Hmmmm, no actual estimate here, but none the less I :clap:the innovative thinking!

Firefly
05-21-2012, 02:21 PM
I've carried a 5 gallon water jug in the front trunk (no it didn't quite close) -- so @ 8.85 lbs per gallon that was 41.75 + the bottle.. so call it 43 lbs. It did it..... BUT.... the handling sucked. You could really feel it up there.

Yes-- the trunk (sorry- I refuse to call it the F**** word) has a drain plug in the bottom and can hold ice and cold beer or pop... pull up to an outdoor party and you're an instant hit....:thumbup:

-----------------

But back to the problem at hand. If you want to get the maximum beer into the trunk... it's obvious what must be done. Make sure the plug is in the bottom of the trunk... open each beer and pour them in--- one at a time. This will make the best use of every nook and cranny of the trunk......;)

zrc
05-21-2012, 02:37 PM
But back to the problem at hand. If you want to get the maximum beer into the trunk... it's obvious what must be done. Make sure the plug is in the bottom of the trunk... open each beer and pour them in--- one at a time. This will make the best use of every nook and cranny of the trunk......;)

We are gonna need some straws up in here...

Also, with mild modification, AKA a sealing slanted lid that is under the trunk lid and will not allow for "slosh-age" the technical amount is 12 liters yes? (edited to erase the 55 liters, guess that is the 622)

However if we introduce mathematics, I will need the dimensions of the trunk for more data, can anyone get me the width front and back, the height front and back and the width in the middle? From there I can estimate the fact that a can coke or beer out of packaging will basically be 5inches high, then 1.3 inches wide, assume it is not a cylinder but a little juice box of tin and that would allow for the computation to happen.

I feel like I need a dry erase board.

Its a trapizodal shape with a "pitched" roof.

Bob Denman
05-21-2012, 02:37 PM
In that case it ought to hold a bit over 12 litres...
Break out the straws!! :2thumbs: :roflblack:

ezduzit
05-21-2012, 02:52 PM
30 pack of Coors Light, two 750 ml of Absolute Vodka and a 1/2 gal of Cranberry juice!!!! :yes:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Not to burst you're bubble on this attempt......but here is something to think about ....95 miles on not glass smooth roads = lots of spraying beer cans/bottles when you open them.....Unless you wait at least 24 hrs. and get them really, really cold....even then it may be too soon ...Good Luck.....Mike....:thumbup:

Sny
05-21-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm sure you could strap a case or three to the back seat as well

Or saddlebags http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/892844757_zWJBy-L.jpg

or build a roof out of a cooler and...

Hm. ok, drive. You can carry more and it'll arrive in better shape ;)

ABQ_Spyderman
05-21-2012, 04:45 PM
I have a good bit of experience with overloading my frunk. I can fit 2x 18-packs without much trouble, so I am going to guess 40+ cans with creative stacking. And I have never noticed a difference in handling...but to Mr Fun's point--perhaps I am just used to it.

Best,
--ABQ

KipDM
05-21-2012, 07:45 PM
with proper stacking (or min/maxing if you prefer) i think 34 (this is using SWAG1 and SWAG2 methodology) is your magic number BUT, and i cannot stress this enough:
you MUST leave room for some form of padding. you really don't want the cans moving around enough (form turns, etc) to rupture even one of you passengers.
cleaning beer out of a frunk is truly a depressing experience (on multiple levels).

i suggest take a few rags (spare washcloths or REAL rags) would be ideal, that way u can pack however u want and any 'leftover' rags can be left behind/thrown away.

just a tip.....from your Uncle Kip :cheers:

cyclelover63
05-21-2012, 08:22 PM
You guys ain't right!!!.......:D:D

SPYD1
05-21-2012, 08:27 PM
This thread is awesome!

wyliec
05-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Yes-- the trunk (sorry- I refuse to call it the F**** word) has a drain plug in the bottom and can hold ice and cold beer or pop...

-----------------

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thum bup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:: thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumb up::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::t humbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbu p::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::th umbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup :

SPYDERGUY1
05-21-2012, 09:31 PM
two, 24 packs, correctly placed ( some wiggling ) , never tried unleashed can's and lot's of ice. Probably not gunna happen, with the sound system in there as well.

Farmboy
05-22-2012, 05:26 AM
30 pack in front, 12 pack in each side of my RT!!

Bob Denman
05-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Judging by Farmboy's signature pic I'd say that we give this round to him! :2thumbs::firstplace::bowdown:

Fly boy
05-22-2012, 08:21 AM
*scratching head* How come no one has gone out and bought a case or two for research?

I am guessing you can only get Y in the bottles, so I will pick up a couple cases tonight and do some research for everyone! :yes:

zrc
05-22-2012, 08:26 AM
Why do I feel the need to explore a mod that could keep a party ball cold in the trunk and allow for pressurization and dispensing. Then I could just build inserts for my fleetliners that sort and store airplane bottles and a small respository for cups / ice and BAM, "The Spyderbar Mod" is born.

Anyone have a spare trunk laying around to donate to an aspiring mod maker? Is carrying active CO2 in a moving vehicle legal?

spyderfan
05-22-2012, 08:32 AM
I use the spyder for beer runs all the time. The frunk easily holds a 30 pack of cans without removing them from the packaging, with plenty of room to spare! I love the look on peoples faces when I walk out with the 30 pack, set it on the seat while I pop open the frunk. Slide the 30 pack on in and then the questions start!

Bob Denman
05-22-2012, 08:44 AM
This thread is almost as much fun as the consumption of the "Hydraulic Sandwiches"! :cheers:

Yol Bolsun
05-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Is carrying active CO2 in a moving vehicle legal?

CO2 cartridges are carried in vehicles all the time. As are many pressurized gases, butane, propane, diver's tanks. Not a problem. :thumbup:.

I'm trying to picture this and it is sounding like you should have it ready for L's BBQ. ;)

steve635
05-22-2012, 09:10 AM
"*scratching head* How come no one has gone out and bought a case or two for research?

I am guessing you can only get Y in the bottles, so I will pick up a couple cases tonight and do some research for everyone!"

Yuengling is available in cans but it's harder to find, and I figure cans would be a little more tolerant, not to mention condusive to innovative stacking. I'd be happy to do actual testing but my RS is in for its' initial service (and riser and backrest installation), should have it back tomorrow. Plus had I just done it myself we would have all been denied some quality entertainment! :popcorn:

zrc
05-22-2012, 09:43 AM
CO2 cartridges are carried in vehicles all the time. As are many pressurized gases, butane, propane, diver's tanks. Not a problem. :thumbup:.

I'm trying to picture this and it is sounding like you should have it ready for L's BBQ. ;)

Well heck Keith, that is like 4 months away, that is all the time in the world. I will be setting up a kickstarter project to see if I can raise the money to pay for it...

I bet the kickstarter people would laugh there @$$'s off over that proposal.

If anyone out there has a trunk lid they will give me, I will honest to goodness try it. But I will need a trunk to drill a hole in and put a keg stack on for the top. The other main issue will be keeping the container cold. I will have to give up some beer storage for cooling area and CO2 container and hosing, but honestly its just a little kegerator, and shouldnt be that hard.

I would think the molded fleetliner inserts to service the wet bar might be harder, I will need something like that little cart from an airplane. I will keep you posted.

Bob, would it void my insurance to have a beer dispensing stack on the hood if I didnt use it unless I was parked? Perhaps a quick disconnect that is there so it cant be used while moving (tried to picture a person leaning all the way out there to get a draft while driving, then assumes some dumbbutt would)

Bob Denman
05-22-2012, 10:29 AM
You might need to have a commercial policy wriiten... Oh! Don't forget about your liquor license too! :roflblack::roflblack::thumbup:

currin20fan
05-22-2012, 11:01 AM
About a week after I bought the spyder, I discovered that I can put 2 - 18 pks of miller lite in the frunk and one case (24 pk) in the rear as long as I remove the top two layers. Have to do it when I catch them on sale. ITS ALL GOOD!!:yes::yes:

sandrunr1
05-22-2012, 01:24 PM
One can of beer. I drank the rest.

scooterexpress
05-22-2012, 01:50 PM
i've put 6-3litre bottles in front trunk of water and 2ea in the saddle bags on my rts only had to go 3miles but boy you could tell it was up there.

Yol Bolsun
05-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Well heck Keith, that is like 4 months away, that is all the time in the world. I will be setting up a kickstarter project to see if I can raise the money to pay for it...

I bet the kickstarter people would laugh there @$$'s off over that proposal.

If anyone out there has a trunk lid they will give me, I will honest to goodness try it. But I will need a trunk to drill a hole in and put a keg stack on for the top. The other main issue will be keeping the container cold. I will have to give up some beer storage for cooling area and CO2 container and hosing, but honestly its just a little kegerator, and shouldnt be that hard.

I would think the molded fleetliner inserts to service the wet bar might be harder, I will need something like that little cart from an airplane. I will keep you posted.

Bob, would it void my insurance to have a beer dispensing stack on the hood if I didnt use it unless I was parked? Perhaps a quick disconnect that is there so it cant be used while moving (tried to picture a person leaning all the way out there to get a draft while driving, then assumes some dumbbutt would)

And don't forget, if party ball is tapped, is it considered and open container?:dontknow: Ooops, looks like you already covered that.:banghead:

Fly boy
05-22-2012, 09:45 PM
It fit 2 12 packs just fine... drank to many before attempting, so I didn't get an accurate account. Will try again tomorrow!