PDA

View Full Version : Winthrop and North Cascades Highway trip

Radthorne
05-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Just got back from three days on the road with my lady love and our Spyder out to Winthrop and over the North Cascades Highway. A beautiful trip! Weather was perfect, and the drive was sublime. Looking forward to more great rydes this season!

SpyderAnn01
05-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Very pretty but a little to cold for me

murphybrown
05-19-2012, 05:44 AM
I take this trip several times in the ryding season...ALWAYS stop at Blue Star Coffee roasters...to die for caps!!! (that's a "snob" coffee drink for the 'uneducated':roflblack::roflblack:). Gorgeous country..some may call it cold...me I just make sure I have layers to either put on or take off..but yes I can leave Chelan at 90' and it be 50 at the top of pass (or less!!)...
Recommended ryde..for WA ryders...:thumbup:

bluestratos
05-19-2012, 09:36 AM
What where the temps in Winthrop and Leavenworth? Any idea how cold it got going throught the pass? I was going to go last weekend but the pass had just been cleared the day before.

Thanks

Randy

Radthorne
05-19-2012, 11:19 AM
What where the temps in Winthrop and Leavenworth? Any idea how cold it got going throught the pass? I was going to go last weekend but the pass had just been cleared the day before.

Thanks

Randy

Winthrop was high 60's - low 70's. About the same in Leavenworth. The pass got down to around 40 for about thirty minutes, but was otherwise in the 50's. The road was completely clear, with lots of snow to the sides at the high elevations. It was really quite lovely. We had on layers for the cold bits, and just shed them off as we descended down to the higher temps.

bluestratos
05-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks Rad, Looking forward to my first ride this year :-)

Heliplt
05-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Love that ride, I have made it several times. Will be heading that way soon. I have 3 stops to make in eastern WA for the Café to Café tour. We have hit 4 cafes already so it leaves us with 11 more before Sep 30th
www.soundrider.com (http://www.soundrider.com/) Café to Cafe

The Dam to Dam tour usually gets you up that way also.