PDA

View Full Version : American Companies not interested in business

JCSMOKE
05-17-2012, 11:19 AM
I have been attempting to put together a product for the Spyder market for a little while now and have found that many of the contract sewing companies in the US are not interested in doing anything for me. I got the feeling over the last few years that American businesses were kind of in the hunt for more business but that idea has been shot to crap. So I am putting it out here, I want to bring something to the spyder community, that I feel is sorely missing at the moment, I need a sewing designer and a contract sewing service to make it for me. I have tried to find american help but I believe I will be going with China soon. If you have some information about contract sewing and or are involved in it I am interested in talking. PM me and we will talk.

Bob Denman
05-17-2012, 11:24 AM
:shocked: I know that you've got a whole lot more to this story than you can tell... but you've certainly picqued my curiousity anyway! :thumbup: :popcorn:
Good Luck finding a partner in this endeavor! :2thumbs:

ARtraveler
05-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Try Aerostitch in Duluth, MN. The owner is an entrepreneur and is always looking for good ideas.

Bob Denman
05-17-2012, 11:47 AM
GREAT idea! :2thumbs:

JCSMOKE
05-17-2012, 12:19 PM
:thumbup: email sent, lets see what happens.

Bob Denman
05-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Good Luck! I hope that this project turns out to be a real winner for you! :2thumbs:
Do you need any "Test Pilots"or Guinea Pigs? :shocked: Throw me in a cage and call me "Buttercup"! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
05-17-2012, 12:56 PM
I just thought of another sewer. Duluth Tent & Awning (used to be their name). They manufacture the famous Duluth Packs for wilderness camping and a whole lot of other stuff. Look under the Duluth Pack store in Duluth, MN.

Steger Mukluks in Ely, MN another sewer.

Rando
05-17-2012, 01:00 PM
I guarantee you THIS company will be interested! They are located in the far Western U.P., right across from Hurley, WI.

http://jacquarts.com/ (http://jacquarts.com/)
Jacquart Fabric Products
1238 Wall Street
Ironwood, MI 49938
(906) 932-1339
(800) 455-2253 toll free
(906) 932-1579 fax
info@jacquarts.com

ARtraveler
05-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Is that the people who make the famous "Kromer" cap?

Rando
05-17-2012, 01:13 PM
YES! http://www.stormykromer.com/

Bob Denman
05-17-2012, 01:38 PM

There has GOT to be another way to describe them... :roflblack:

"Sewist"
"Thread placement engineer"
"Sewologist"
"Fabric arrangerizer"
:dontknow:

JCSMOKE
05-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks guys for the help, I actually got in contact with someone who is willing to speak to me like I am a human. Jacquart, thank you Rando! and I am counting on you Buttercup for early testing and evaluation, along with about 10 others.

Rando
05-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys for the help, I actually got in contact with someone who is willing to speak to me like I am a human. Jacquart, thank you Rando! and I am counting on you Buttercup for early testing and evaluation, along with about 10 others.Hey, if Jacquart works out, put me on the list! BTW, Ironwood is my hometown.

ARtraveler
05-17-2012, 03:02 PM
I would like to be on the list also, if possible.

Rando: I lived in Ashland, WI until 2001--about 30 miles from Hurley/Ironwood.

mowin
05-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Good luck with the project. Sounds exciting. If its for a RS, I'll be a tester...

coz
05-17-2012, 05:20 PM
+ 1 :thumbup:

ThreeFeet
05-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys for the help, I actually got in contact with someone who is willing to speak to me like I am a human. Jacquart, thank you Rando! and I am counting on you Buttercup for early testing and evaluation, along with about 10 others. You can put me on your list I love to try out odd ball stuff. Unless what you're trying isn't odd ball. in that case just put me on your list.

ThreeFeet
05-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Hey, if Jacquart works out, put me on the list! BTW, Ironwood is my hometown. i was raised in Tomahawk not all THAT far from the UP.

ThreeWheels
05-17-2012, 08:41 PM
But what IS it ??? Did I miss the description of the item ?

JCSMOKE
05-17-2012, 09:50 PM
You have not missed the description, kind of put a chunk of money in to this already and want it to make this work out so I'm keeping quiet for now, all I can really say is that I would have bought it if available. I know that's not a lot to go on, but public forums are a bad place to put trade mark, and patent information before filing.

Paula(Butch2025)
05-17-2012, 09:55 PM
I just thought of another sewer. Duluth Tent & Awning (used to be their name). They manufacture the famous Duluth Packs for wilderness camping and a whole lot of other stuff. Look under the Duluth Pack store in Duluth, MN.

Wintergreen in Ely, MN too.

wyliec
05-18-2012, 06:19 AM
Good luck JCSMOKE. :thumbup: Is it okay at this point to say 'break a leg'. Oh wait, this is spyderlovers.com; it's 'brake a leg'.

I may not know you, except from here on S/L's; but, I'm sure things will all work out for you. I'll be one of your first purchasers.

JCSMOKE
05-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks guys, I now have a trip planned for Ironwood, MI I will be leaving here Tuesday and meeting with the folks at Jacquarts on Wed. I'll take the quick way up and maybe the long way back.

Bob Denman
05-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Great news! The best of luck and enjoy the ryde! :2thumbs: We'll be waiting to hear how it goes...

Schnauzer
05-26-2012, 06:03 AM
I seems like everyone is up north. I hope whatever it is your working on will work on Texas Spyder's. I have to agree with the others.. If you need help in wearing it out..."Count us in"

Bob Denman
05-26-2012, 07:17 AM
:agree: If you need an extra Guinea Pig; just call me "Peanut" and feed me some corn! :thumbup:

gary lester
05-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Hey smoke Gary Lester( green+black spyder) is this a major project because I know of someone in il. that might be able to help you out. Also when we were in Cuba I wanted to ask you where you got your body parts on your bike? Cheryl and I had a great time with you while we were in Cuba.

JCSMOKE
05-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Hey smoke Gary Lester( green+black spyder) is this a major project because I know of someone in il. that might be able to help you out. Also when we were in Cuba I wanted to ask you where you got your body parts on your bike? Cheryl and I had a great time with you while we were in Cuba.
I have Jacquarts now officially on the job for design met with them this morning and made it home by 5. I am looking to see prototypes In hand 3 weeks or sooner, test units a week later and bidding is closed on testing for me. 1 for me to beat the crap out of, and 9 for testing and evaluation, that is supposing that the unit price for manufacture does not make my eyes look like :shocked:. I'm really quite excited about this and look forward to keeping you informed about the process, my appologies to the RS crowd, the project does not yet include your model.

Gary the body panels are from VTC and would be happy to lend a hand in setting things up with you, I can't wait for the next ride to see you both again.

Bob Denman
05-31-2012, 09:58 AM
:shocked: More goodies for our RTs??? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_109.gif

JCSMOKE
06-07-2012, 12:40 PM
I got it in this morning as I was playing hookie!:opps: I am thrilled beyond belief, I have a few changes that need to be made but the overall is perfect:yes: Next move is to have the revision made and then a test run of 10 for the lucky ticket holders to beat the crap out of and supply me with suggestions and reviews:shocked:.

bo9roadking
06-07-2012, 12:46 PM
I got it in this morning as I was playing hookie!:opps: I am thrilled beyond belief, I have a few changes that need to be made but the overall is perfect:yes: Next move is to have the revision made and then a test run of 10 for the lucky ticket holders to beat the crap out of and supply me with suggestions and reviews:shocked:.

I hope your project works out. Looking forward to another RT farkle. :clap:

Bob Denman
06-07-2012, 12:47 PM
:agree: Nobody is ever fully Farkled-out anyway... :thumbup:

Papa
06-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Smoke, will you be at the meeting Saturday? Any chance we get a sneak peak at it?

d.o.spyder-rts
06-07-2012, 02:27 PM
I"m sure you'll have no lack of volunteers for your project. If you'd like to have on in the panhandle of Florida (Panama City), I'll be happy to help, good luck with your product. Dale

Bob Denman
06-07-2012, 05:26 PM
I'd rather eat some BBQ while waiting to see what's coming... :bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq:

gary lester
06-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Hi smoke Gary here I'm close if you need help. Thanks Gary. Oh I looked up those body panels and this may be a project for this winter. I really liked what I saw on your bike on the way to Cuba. Thanks again Gary

JCSMOKE
06-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Hi smoke Gary here I'm close if you need help. Thanks Gary. Oh I looked up those body panels and this may be a project for this winter. I really liked what I saw on your bike on the way to Cuba. Thanks again Gary
I will be happy to help if you decide to get them

shelbydave
06-07-2012, 09:47 PM

"Sewist"
"Sewologist"
"Fabric arrangerizer"
If they're union, it would be "Seamster":joke:

Bob Denman
06-08-2012, 06:34 AM
If the person is a woman, are they called a "Seamstress"?
Wait a minute! I think that we just came around full-circle!

shelbydave
06-08-2012, 07:12 AM
We used to call them "Stitchers"...

Bob Denman
06-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Now if you were referring to ME trying to sew something; it'd have to be "Bloody Stitcher"... :roflblack: OUCH! :yikes:

Tru-Blue
06-09-2012, 10:12 AM
I will be happy to help out here on the west side :yes:.

gary lester
06-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Hi Smoke I don't know what your project is but if you do need any help promoting it just let me know because I'm close. would it be something I would like on my spyder? By the way good luck with it. By the way if I do decied to go with the floor boards I will let you know,but I won't start anything until riding season is over. Thanks

JCSMOKE
06-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Now if you were referring to ME trying to sew something; it'd have to be "Bloody Stitcher"... :roflblack: OUCH! :yikes:
I had to stop stitching, I became angry stitcher:mad: And replacing windows that became portals for sewing machines was going to decimate my bottom line. I imagine the bank would be upset that a business loan was being used for anger management therapy :lecturef_smilie:

Bob Denman
06-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Sometimes boxing gloves and a heavy bag can work wonders...http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/18/18_2_100v.gif

gary lester
06-14-2012, 07:52 AM
How is it going with your project? Like I told you before if you need any help just let me know. I forgot to tell you we just back from Branson Mo. and we rode some roads that were better than the tail of the dragon. Hey have a great time and keep in touch. Gary

Arr MiHardies
06-14-2012, 09:44 AM
M still curious to know what the project is

GeoffCee
06-14-2012, 10:13 AM

"Sewist"
"Sewologist"
"Fabric arrangerizer"

"Needle-user-oh-yeah"
"Cottonizerist"
"Treadle to the metal"
"Embroider-while-U-wait"
"Patches 'n stuff"

JCSMOKE
06-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Trying to do the neat business start up, have already tried the "just do it and clean up the mess later" method, though it worked out fairly well I am still dealing with a headache from 2010 that I would rather not deal with again. So here is the update for today:
LLC formed.
EIN received.
Bank account open and funded.
Sewologist, designers hired.
Prototype 1 is on my bike and changes to design have been discussed with afore mentioned sewologists.
installation instructions are nearly complete.
Product copy is in the works.
Trademarking work is complete from my side.
Web site is purchased.
Logo is designed (teaser) 47785
Waiting on next prototype and price per unit to set my price (no not intending to gouge for something that everyone will want)
I have talked with Lamont and he seems to like the idea so I will be working with him to be a member in good standing on the sponsors page.

I know I have kept it vague so far so I will give you an idea of what I am doing

tea cozies for the spyder mirrors called mirror mittens!:p

sorry guys I tried to type the real thing but just couldn't do it. I have a launch planed for July 15 though if I get stuff in sooner I will open sooner.

Bob Denman
06-14-2012, 12:39 PM
:bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq:
Given enough BBQ, and I've got all the patience that I need to wait for quality! :2thumbs:

Bob Denman
06-14-2012, 02:39 PM
:agree: And in time for Christmas... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_2_73.gif

JCSMOKE
06-14-2012, 04:09 PM
I will bring it up to the financial super committee, history being my guide holding your breath would be a seriously bad idea

Rando
07-15-2012, 03:39 PM
......I have a launch planed for July 15 though if I get stuff in sooner I will open sooner.:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Sny
07-15-2012, 04:03 PM
:bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq:
Given enough BBQ, and I've got all the patience that I need to wait for quality! :2thumbs:
Quality? What's that? I have a GS and I'm gonna make this thing fit it just to rock the boat :yes:

Bob Denman
07-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Not that I want to be a "clock watcher"... :opps:, but today's the fifteenth...
Besides; it's raining like HELL here and there's nothing else to do... :roflblack:

:bbq::bbq::bbq:

Rando
07-15-2012, 06:38 PM
SPYDER POCKETS TM
Spyder Pockets were designed to take the hassle out of all the little things in your spyder riding life. Made from high quality nylon materials and made in the USA, the design utilizes many of the unusable spaces in your cargo areas to allow you to be able to safely store and find your belongings wether you are on a short ride or a multi day trip. The design also uses existing mounting points and hardware, so you don’t have to drill holes, just follow the directions and you can have your Spyder Pockets installed in five minutes.

Side and Upper Pockets
The side and Upper Pockets allow you to store many of your “just in case” riding gear such as riding gloves and rain suits. The Upper Pocket easily holds a set of riding gloves and can accommodate two. and the Side Pockets are designed to easily hold a rain suit leaving more room in the saddle bag for your other needs.

Trunk Tongue
The Trunk Tongue was made to hold all of the little things that tend to roll around in the trunk and get lost in plain sight. With 12 pockets, its ability to be detached from the bike, and the carrying handle, the Trunk Tongue can be used for everyday riding and multi day adventures. The pockets allow you to place what you want where you want it. If you are going on a long trip or you tend to decide to ride and see where you end up for the night one side of the trunk tongue can be used for your toiletries and be taken into the hotel room for the night. The other side can be used for all the little things that you use during the day such as the tire pressure gauge, wet wipes, sun screen, and maps. With all the stuff you can fill the Trunk Tongue with you still have plenty of space for riding gear such as coats, hats, and shirts.

Bob Denman
07-16-2012, 06:42 AM
Thanks Rando! :thumbup:
Does that mean that we've got product?? :pray:

zrc
07-16-2012, 07:53 AM
I was able to also get this information after a fast google search! However, the pictured spyders and names led me to believe it might not be JC?

I'm lost!

JCSMOKE
07-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Ok. So you might have guessed that launch date came and went and I ain't launched yet:banghead:

The price per unit was way above my expectations, so I'm looking around for other options. You can give me your unvarnished opinion on the next question. Would it be too much if the product had a made in another country tag on it? I am looking at India, Mexico and china.

Rando
07-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Bummer! I was really hoping Jacquarts would come through for you!

Sny
07-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Ok. So you might have guessed that launch date came and went and I ain't launched yet:banghead:

The price per unit was way above my expectations, so I'm looking around for other options. You can give me your unvarnished opinion on the next question. Would it be too much if the product had a made in another country tag on it? I am looking at India, Mexico and china.
How much is too much?

And what kind of quantities are you expecting... monthly and annual projections etc.

Might have problems with the name (well, someone else is gonna have problems with the name?) http://spydersisters.com (http://spydersisters.com/)

JCSMOKE
07-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Trade marking being done so I guess they will have an issue:D

Bob Denman
07-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Well here's to hoping that all of the details can get ironed out! :cheers: :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=truHqdF50Hg

bluestratos
07-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Rando, I have another idea for you to think about for you line up. I was always looking for somewhere to put trash or drop my gloves into while riding. I found a black fabric auto trash bag that I hang on the right side just ahead of my Knee. It is about 4" x 8" x 12" which is a bit larger than necessary. It has a flap that goes over the top and attaches to the front with a strip of velcro.

I could not live without it now and it is amazing how much I use it on a ride. Yesterday I put the Net Flix envolope in until I got to the mail box, as the day warmed up I pulled off my gloves and tossed them in as I was riding. I stopped for a coffee then tossed the cup in when done. I keep a clean cloth inside to wipe the windshield on the fly when it rains out. I picked up some replace bulbs for my lights yesterday and tossed the box in there... etc.

Right now I have the bag hanging from a little bracket I made that slides in between the dash and the side panel. I installed 2 suction cups on either side at the bottom to keep it from flapping.

Just a thought,

Randy

JCSMOKE
09-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Take a look at Tricled page for the first look at what I have been working on for all this time.
http://tricled.com/TricLed.com/New_Items.html

A Huge thank you to Reggy for putting it up and giving me some great ideas. Not available yet and pricing is still in the works but if I get the respose I am hoping for these should be available very soon.

Bob Denman
09-25-2012, 09:10 AM
:agree: :congrats: Not to get too pushy; but are we thinking "in time for Christmas"?? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_2_83v.gif