PDA

View Full Version : 2010 RT Windshield - Sell or Trim Down?

MidLifeCrisis
05-16-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm streatching my neck pretty far to look over the taller 2010 windshield. I've read a few posts and watched some videos on properly trimming down the windshield and probably good to go for doing it, but thought I'd get some opininons first. Mine has 600 mile on it with no scratches and in perfect condition. Is anyone taller than 5'10" on this forum looking for the taller windshield?

Wasn't sure if I should post this in the for sale section or not, since it's more an inquery than anything:dontknow:

ARtraveler
05-16-2012, 11:49 AM
I usually ride with the windshield in the lowest position. I am 5'5" and have no problem seeing over it. This also results in a little better mileage. When its cold--then I put the windshield up to the top. I end up looking through it rather than over it in this position.

Bob Denman
05-16-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm 5'10" and with the windshield at its lowest position I have no trouble looking over it (2010 RT)... Buying a 2011 windshield might cost about $250; I'd suggest just cutting your '10 model down a bit...
Let us know what you decide to do! Good Luck! :thumbup:

MidLifeCrisis
05-16-2012, 03:32 PM
I'm 5'10" and with the windshield at its lowest position I have no trouble looking over it (2010 RT)... Buying a 2011 windshield might cost about $250; I'd suggest just cutting your '10 model down a bit...
Let us know what you decide to do! Godd Luck! :thumbup:

I suppose 5'10" by itself doesn't mean much. I'm pretty much all legs and short torso, so there is where the problem lies...

Oh crap! Long legs, short body... I'm looking like what I ride. :D

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

CyncySpyder
05-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Not sure if it will work for you, but that's what I did after we traded our '10 RT in on Teds Red Sled which is an '11 & came with the new smaller shield. Since we ryde year round, I wanted the extra protection that the larger shield provided & quickly found someone to trade with us :bowdown: making both of us Happy:yes: Can't hurt for you to try :thumbup: Good Luck:thumbup:

ARtraveler
05-16-2012, 03:53 PM
That's a really great idea Cincy. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-17-2012, 06:45 AM
:agree::agree: What was I thinking?? :shocked: :opps:

StanProff
05-22-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm streatching my neck pretty far to look over the taller 2010 windshield. I've read a few posts and watched some videos on properly trimming down the windshield and probably good to go for doing it, but thought I'd get some opininons first. Mine has 600 mile on it with no scratches and in perfect condition. Is anyone taller than 5'10" on this forum looking for the taller windshield?

Wasn't sure if I should post this in the for sale section or not, since it's more an inquery than anything:dontknow:

I am 5'7" and the 2010 shield is at least 3 inches to tall for me. Everyone is different but for me I was having a hard time looking over the shield in the lowest position. I done like you and checked the internet on how to cut a shield. I cut over 3 inches off and the result is great! You cannot tell it was ever cut. Tape it up good on both sides with painters tape and don't take if off until you are done. The sheild cuts easy and sands to a smooth finish even easier. I started with an 80 grit sanding block (the soft kind you get at lowes) then went to a 220 grit block and finished up wet sanding with 500 and 1000 grit. Great outcome. I even had some 3000 grit left over from a car headlight polishing kit and finished with that. Looks and feels like a factory finish. It sounds like a lot of time and work but really about an hour and a half was it.
P.S. I left the shield on the spyder and simply covered the dash with a towel to catch the shavings.

MidLifeCrisis
05-22-2012, 11:16 PM
I am 5'7" and the 2010 shield is at least 3 inches to tall for me. Everyone is different but for me I was having a hard time looking over the shield in the lowest position. I done like you and checked the internet on how to cut a shield. I cut over 3 inches off and the result is great! You cannot tell it was ever cut. Tape it up good on both sides with painters tape and don't take if off until you are done. The sheild cuts easy and sands to a smooth finish even easier. I started with an 80 grit sanding block (the soft kind you get at lowes) then went to a 220 grit block and finished up wet sanding with 500 and 1000 grit. Great outcome. I even had some 3000 grit left over from a car headlight polishing kit and finished with that. Looks and feels like a factory finish. It sounds like a lot of time and work but really about an hour and a half was it.
P.S. I left the shield on the spyder and simply covered the dash with a towel to catch the shavings.

That's good info. Thanks

Bob Denman
05-23-2012, 06:36 AM
. I even had some 3000 grit left over from a car headlight polishing kit and finished with that. Looks and feels like a factory finish. It sounds like a lot of time and work but really about an hour and a half was it.

Question:
I've picked up a few scratches on my shield. :gaah: Do you think that one of those headlight polishing kits would work to refinish the affected areas?

StanProff
06-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Question:
I've picked up a few scratches on my shield. :gaah: Do you think that one of those headlight polishing kits would work to refinish the affected areas?

Bob, when sanding the cut edge of my sheild I slipped with the sanding block and, you guessed it, I had already taken the painters tape off resulting in some scratches about an inch down from the fresh cut. I tried without success to remove the marks. I had the 3+ inches of the sheild that I had cut off to practice on with different sanding grits. I made intentional scratches on the peice and began sanding and buffing them out. You can get them out fairly well but I found that there is a clear coating of some sort on the sheild. you will remove this coating as well when working down to the scratches. Point being you have to sand through the clear coating, sand through the scratches then start with the finer grits to bring it back to clear view. The scratches will come out but the problem is the clear coating will be gone in that area causing a noticable kind of like a cloud area left from the removal of the clear coating.
Well long story short i ended up cutting another 3/4 inch off of the shield to get rid of the mistake. YOu can polish the area without actual sanding that will leave the clear coating in tack and some of the marks will go away. then you may have really shiney marks left. Maybe someone else has a solution that will work.

Dragonrider
06-04-2012, 10:26 AM
I have the largest BRP shield available, and I'd buy a bigger one, if I could. I ride with mine all the way up, and STILL easily see over the top.

MidLifeCrisis
06-05-2012, 08:36 AM
What size is your windshield? With mine all the way down, I barely see over the top, so I move it up half way, to get the top of the windshield out of my line of sight.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Grandpa Spyder
06-05-2012, 08:39 AM
I have the largest BRP shield available, and I'd buy a bigger one, if I could. I ride with mine all the way up, and STILL easily see over the top.

F4 windshield is 2"s taller and 5"s wider this is in the down pos.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/CW_Tuggle/DSCF0011.jpg

StanProff
06-14-2012, 06:44 PM
47793 This is the 2010 shield with about 3 3/4" cut off of it. Works for me, I still have plenty of up left in it.