PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Scam.. I think

effgjamis
05-16-2012, 09:04 AM
I renewed my insurance and my insurance went up almost 200 bucks. I was paying 365 and now it is almost 600.
It is as much as my 98 expedition ... I think that is just right stealing..

I have foremost, with medical coverage..

Any other insurance out there should I be looking for as the company's I have checked with so far have no medical coverage for riders only for the spyder. dumb I also think.

Dang I am upset ...Almost as much when I hit 75 my auto insurance went from 740 per year to 1375...and I drive the auto less than the spyder. It is a 98 with only 60,000 and I have riden in the past 3 years almost 90,000 miles on the spyders.

bo9roadking
05-16-2012, 09:09 AM
I have progressive insurance. I'm not sure what the going rates are for a spyder, but I'm paying $866 a year for the 2012 spyder limited that I purchased last week. I was paying less than half that for my HD Road King. Granted, the HD was older and less expensive, but I wasn't expecting to pay almost $900 :yikes:for a spyder. Maybe I should look at your insurance company for better rates. :D

SpyderAnn01
05-16-2012, 09:30 AM
They must have gotten wind of your Hulligan status or the upcoming Spyder Triangle ride and raised your rates accordingly. :roflblack: We switched to Progressive when we moved to NV and it was amazing how much less expensive it is than our old insurance.

Bob Denman
05-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Questions:
Any tickets or claims in the last three years?
How old are you now?
Each State is different, so the companies have to dance to a different tune in each of them, but they probably have to submit their rate increases to Florida for approval
With the Stock Markets giving everybody a bad case of gas, they're not making the money on the investments that they need in order to keep their investors happy... so they look at the rates as a possible solution... :gaah:
Sucks.. Doesn't it? :shocked:

effgjamis
05-16-2012, 10:03 AM
NO tickets
NO Claims
will be 80 july...

I was told if I lived in Ohio my rate would be almost half. Same Company.

Bob Denman
05-16-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure just how aggressive Florida's Insurance Department is intheir handling of the Companies, but one of their primary goals is to make sure that the companies doing business in the State are financially sound and able to cover any claims that ultimately fall their way... You mentioned that you've got medical coverage on your policy; knowing what's been going on with health care costs I would guess that a significant portion of your increase is in there. Call them up and ask...
Good Luck! :thumbup:

Pennyrick
05-16-2012, 11:06 AM
NO tickets
NO Claims
will be 80 july...

I think that the state as well as the age are factors.

We switched from Auto Owners to Foremost (your company) when I found out that the rate for my new '12 Limited was going to be close to $600. With Foremost the rate (for the same coverage) dropped to $382 for me (age 73) and $359 for my wife who also had a '12 Limited. According to the agent the $23 difference is because she is five years younger than me.

I'm sure your age is a major factor but it seems funny it jumped all at once rather that gradually over time.

arntufun
05-16-2012, 11:36 AM
AGE plays a big role.......... Have you ever seen seniors drive ?????? :yikes:

Only :joke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xiVd4SUkO0&feature=player_detailpage

ARtraveler
05-16-2012, 11:40 AM
I am 66 with a good driving record. No accidents, or tickets. I have a multiple vehicle discount. The yearly rate on my Spyder is $672 or $56 per month. My Vulcan is $516 per year or $43 per month. We are talking State Farm insurance here.

You may have passed an age milestone that is affecting your new rate. That would be my guess.

Y Rider
05-16-2012, 12:00 PM
I pay $357 with State Farm in IL. We are moving to FL next week and for the same insurance in FL it goes to over $600! :yikes:

daveinva
05-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Here in VA I had GEICO for my first year of the Spyder-- $1010! And they were the *cheapest* I got quoted :shocked:

For my second year, GEICO was quoting me $1065 :shocked::shocked:. I politely told them they were on (low-grade) crack. Progressive managed to quote me only $605, thus I switched to them.

Dudley
05-16-2012, 12:48 PM
I have had GMAC for the last 10+ years for my motorcycles. No other ins. company has even come close to their rates. May be worth the time for some of the Spyder riders to check them out. Just Google GMAC Ins and get the 800 number and call.

Daisyjoe
05-16-2012, 12:58 PM
$547 with State Farm, includes multiple vehicle discount.

Bob Denman
05-16-2012, 01:42 PM
You may have passed an age milestone that is affecting your new rate. That would be my guess.
:opps: I asked about your age, but didn't say why... :opps: If you're turning 80 before the renewal date, that might very well be the culprit!
Good catch Duane! :firstplace:

Papa
05-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Insurance quotes are a tricky thing. I switched to Allstate here in Illinois with house, cars and :spyder2:. My :spyder2: coverage is $314 for full coverage plus additional coverage for the trailer. I was paying a bit over $400 last year with Progressive. Clean record, 65 years old. I'm guessing in Florida they know you'll be riding all year while up here, not so much.

Good luck shopping around, it's worth the effort.

zrc
05-16-2012, 03:00 PM
To hades with this garbage, I am going to do a poll to find the cheapest state and take out a PO box.

Before people think I'm joking, me and insurance peoples arent friends :) (except for Bob!) I consider often times just not having it. And that is almost 100% going to happen with my cage, like Forrest I dont drive it enough to justify it much anymore. Makes a brother wanna call that place on TV that "keeps you legal for less" cause its just how it all works out it.

Im dirty like that :P

Gordy
05-16-2012, 03:13 PM
In manitoba we are on government insurance.My 2010 rts is just about 1300.00 and that is from may1 to the end of october this is for full coverage 200.00 deduct.We cant shop around for better prices

effgjamis
05-16-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm not sure just how aggressive Florida's Insurance Department is intheir handling of the Companies, but one of their primary goals is to make sure that the companies doing business in the State are financially sound and able to cover any claims that ultimately fall their way... You mentioned that you've got medical coverage on your policy; knowing what's been going on with health care costs I would guess that a significant portion of your increase is in there. Call them up and ask...
Good Luck! :thumbup:

The medical coverage is less than 20 dollars for 5,000 per occurance.

ThreeWheels
05-17-2012, 03:39 AM
Here in VA I had GEICO for my first year of the Spyder-- $1010! And they were the *cheapest* I got quoted :shocked:

For my second year, GEICO was quoting me $1065 :shocked::shocked:. I politely told them they were on (low-grade) crack. Progressive managed to quote me only $605, thus I switched to them.

Similar experience here in CT.

I wound up moving all my insurance to progressive.
Reminds me, maybe I should shop rates again for all my vehicles.

Bob Denman
05-17-2012, 07:01 AM
To hades with this garbage, I am going to do a poll to find the cheapest state and take out a PO box.

:lecturef_smilie: Won't work Tito...
They'll take a PO Box for the mailing address, but specifically ask for a garaging location also... :gaah: You'll need to have a friend at the location who'll SWEAR that you're there, but just out buying more ...milk and cookies! :roflblack:
Each State is also broken down into a myriad of territories; you'll need to find the cheapest area in the cheapest State too! :gaah:

zrc
05-17-2012, 09:43 AM
I am going to find the most road friend, desolate location in the USA, I will start looking in Wyoming, I never believed it was a state, however, this might meet my needs. Less people, less roads, less cost (theortically) and I will set up a google voice number in that area that just forwards to my phone at the location of said "garage" couple that with cross referencing the google earth maps to make sure it appears to be a garage / home. And BAM, Im as shady as they are.

Bob Denman
05-17-2012, 09:58 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_72.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_72.gif Just keep an eye out for the Black Helicopters... :shocked: :thumbup:

FrankPa
05-17-2012, 06:34 PM
I have Erie for my auto & home... best rates, best service I could find.

When I added the Spyder my insurance guy said that Erie doesn't like motorcycles (they wanted $1000) and to let him shop for me.

He came back with Grange (not sure if they're national) and they were $400.

Some companies don't like cycles, some don't like older folks, your agent just has to find the best mix for you!

Questions
05-23-2012, 01:54 AM
I renewed my insurance and my insurance went up almost 200 bucks. I was paying 365 and now it is almost 600.
It is as much as my 98 expedition ... I think that is just right stealing..

I have foremost, with medical coverage..

Any other insurance out there should I be looking for as the company's I have checked with so far have no medical coverage for riders only for the spyder. dumb I also think.

Dang I am upset ...Almost as much when I hit 75 my auto insurance went from 740 per year to 1375...and I drive the auto less than the spyder. It is a 98 with only 60,000 and I have riden in the past 3 years almost 90,000 miles on the spyders.
I don’t think it’s a scam but I do think you can get a much better rate elsewhere. Have you looked into AARP senior auto insurance? The AARP exists for the benefit of seniors and so many are unaware of that. They care for their customers and I’d really recommend getting a quote.

rogerb
05-23-2012, 05:18 AM
I just renewed my coverage with State Farm cost $270 for full coverage with $500 deductible. I also have four other motorcycles with them. All they asked me was to list who the principle driver was for each bike. The biggest no no with them is OUI's. One offence and no insurance. I have another bike that is ridden by my daughter-in-law who has had an OUI and I had to go with another insurer. So I have no complaints with them.

Bob Denman
05-23-2012, 06:44 AM
Just got my renewal with American Modern Home in for July; It dropped from $505, to $405 this year! :thumbup: :ohyea: Even with my "incident"... :opps:

Knarfoh
05-23-2012, 07:43 AM
NO tickets
NO Claims
will be 80 july...

Based upon what you said here, you are correct. My rate is about 40% of what you quoted here and I am through Progressive.

Bob Denman
05-23-2012, 07:53 AM
Where you live can make all of the difference in the World in this game...

FrankPa
05-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Seems like a reasonable thing to ask... :clap:

Bob Denman
05-24-2012, 07:07 AM
He said that his record was clean.

Usually if you've got an alcohol-related ticket, they can stick a fork in you; you're DONE! :shocked:

effgjamis
05-24-2012, 07:36 AM
Insurance quotes are a tricky thing. I switched to Allstate here in Illinois with house, cars and :spyder2:. My :spyder2: coverage is $314 for full coverage plus additional coverage for the trailer. I was paying a bit over $400 last year with Progressive. Clean record, 65 years old. I'm guessing in Florida they know you'll be riding all year while up here, not so much.

Good luck shopping around, it's worth the effort.

Got a quote from Allstate and :yikes: double of existing insurance. Foremost 503, Allstate 1006 :yikes:.

I think I am better off staying with Foremost..
Thanks all for your input.

It seems insurance company's gouge the young ( 18-25 ) and now the Old ( 70+ )nojoke

cjackg
05-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Just got my renewal notice from AutoOwners Insurance, now $498. was $403. last year. Only difference is now I'm in the > 70 group. :(

Bob Denman
05-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Here in New York they DO surcharge drivers and riders over 75... your assessment is correct! :gaah:

boborgera
05-24-2012, 08:30 AM
For what it's worth, The risks to the insurance co. Are determined by the Actuary's.
The Insurance Co. then set the price to maximize profit's for their particular company.
Not all insurance co. use the same Actuary's, And some will take more risks hence the range of Premiums.

Bob Denman
05-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Yes... But they DO have to justify thier numbers: both to heir bosses and to the State Insurance Departments. :shocked:
And all of their numbers are based upon the exact same group of people. (All of US!)
Sometimes it comes down to a company targeting a specific class of people that it either wants to write, or wants to avoid. They will then price their products accordingly.

napper39
05-24-2012, 10:05 AM
ill tell them my uncle forrest moved in ,here in kansas it has to be less money.so now you live in kansas.:2thumbs::chat:

Bob Denman
05-24-2012, 10:07 AM
:2thumbs: A Solution! :2thumbs: