PDA

View Full Version : Making SPYDERPOPS Catalytic Converter Shield Fit 2012 RT SE5

DR Buck
05-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Spent today adding more options to my 2012 RT Limited and ran into an issue with the right side catalytic converter heat shield. The instructions call for dropping the front end of the brake linkage by removing a clip/pin and possible cutting a tie-wrap. On my 2012 the clip/pin are a single piece and use a cotter pin to hold them in place. This must be something new as the end of the clip/pin where the cotter pin goes through catches on the heat shield and could interfere with the function of the brake. I solved this by cutting an additional notch in the top of the heat shield to provide clearance for the brake linkage to move freely. The picture below shows what I did.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46293&d=1337132899

flybuddy
05-16-2012, 09:18 AM
I just did the same install yesterday and had the same issue (2012 also). However, I discovered that I had the front of the shield on the inside of the aluminum housing. I moved it to between the housing and the brake pedal lever (toward the front) and only the very front tab of the shield goes between the plastic and the housing. Everything was copacetic after that and there was adequate clearance to put the brake lever pin and clip all the way in and put a new cotter pin in.

bo9roadking
05-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Do you lose any ground clearance with the shield installed?

flybuddy
05-16-2012, 10:28 AM
You might lose and inch or two on the sides BUT that is much higher than the front end so, no real loss of ground clearance.

bo9roadking
05-16-2012, 10:33 AM
You might lose and inch or two on the sides BUT that is much higher than the front end so, no real loss of ground clearance.
Thanks, I've been thinking about purchasing a set of these.