PDA

View Full Version : SUSPENSION QUESTIION

kennyf
05-15-2012, 02:04 PM
With only 2,000+ miles on my two week old RTS I haven't added any accessories. I'm more into function than
farkles. Will new shocks make that much difference in the ride? Especially riding two up. I've noticed several
people have installed Elka Shocks and seem to like them.

NancysToy
05-15-2012, 02:37 PM
What are you looking for in the ride? The Elkas will firm it up a bit and stabilize it, reducing body roll and resisting wind gusts, but sacrificing a bit of ride comfort/softness. It depends on how hard you ride, your weight, your technique, and even your suspension settings. What is great for some is wasted on others. Bigger improvement on a 2010 than other years. The 2010 RT suspension was lacking.

Bob Denman
05-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Yup! The 2010 front end was certainly a bit too soft... However I just bumped up the preload on the front shocks to the 4th position and it made a huge difference...and for a lot less $$$ than the Elkas! :thumbup:

fastfraser
05-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Elkas all around !:thumbup: Well worth the extra money !:thumbup: Ride 2-up 90% of the time and the :spyder2: is rock steady in the corners and passing transports ! I know before I put the Elkas on I would plow into corners, now I ride threw them at least 10-15 MPH faster.:thumbup:

Just a side note : I had the rear Elka put on at SpyderFest and in all honesty I can't tell the difference. So I would just stay with the fronts .

NorthStar
05-15-2012, 04:16 PM
I believe stock shocks are preset at 3 at the factory. I adjusted my oem shocks on my 2010 RTs immediately to the highest setting (5) and played a bit with the front tire pressures to find that fine line between comfort and handling. Ran with these shocks for two years. The shocks on later models of the RT are reportedly better and most people just fiddle with the settings rather than invest big bucks in performance shock upgrades.

I lived with the oem shocks for two years while spending my budgeted add on monies on things like driver's back rest, new grip covers, additional rear lighting, GPS etc.... Finally sprung for the front Elka shocks this April at Spyderfest. And yes, they definitely improved the handling characteristics of the RT, especially in reducing body roll while cornering and providing a more stable base while driving in high wind conditions and while passing transports on the slabs.

If you have a 2010 RT then I would highly recommend this shock upgrade, but if you have a later model Spyder then you might want to just try stiffening the oem shocks and see if this does the trick for you. Doesn't cost you anything to adjust the shocks and might save you some dollars if the oem's meet your needs.

Safe driving

flybuddy
05-15-2012, 04:38 PM
I believe stock shocks are preset at 3 at the factory. I adjusted my oem shocks on my 2010 RTs immediately to the highest setting (5) and played a bit with the front tire pressures to find that fine line between comfort and handling. Ran with these shocks for two years. The shocks on later models of the RT are reportedly better and most people just fiddle with the settings rather than invest big bucks in performance shock upgrades.

I lived with the oem shocks for two years while spending my budgeted add on monies on things like driver's back rest, new grip covers, additional rear lighting, GPS etc.... Finally sprung for the front Elka shocks this April at Spyderfest. And yes, they definitely improved the handling characteristics of the RT, especially in reducing body roll while cornering and providing a more stable base while driving in high wind conditions and while passing transports on the slabs.

If you have a 2010 RT then I would highly recommend this shock upgrade, but if you have a later model Spyder then you might want to just try stiffening the oem shocks and see if this does the trick for you. Doesn't cost you anything to adjust the shocks and might save you some dollars if the oem's meet your needs.

Safe driving

Would you recommend on the 2011 and 12s to crank up the stock shocks to max setting?? I've got mine set on 4, corners well but I feel a lot of rocking and rolling near tractor trailers...thx Tom

spyderbirds
05-15-2012, 06:31 PM
What are you looking for in the ride? The Elkas will firm it up a bit and stabilize it, reducing body roll and resisting wind gusts, but sacrificing a bit of ride comfort/softness. It depends on how hard you ride, your weight, your technique, and even your suspension settings. What is great for some is wasted on others. Bigger improvement on a 2010 than other years. The 2010 RT suspension was lacking.

Agreed the 2010 shock were much weaker than later year models.

kennyf
05-15-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm thinking of just replacing the front shocks for now. I should know know if I need to replace the rear
when I get back from the Durango event.
Might "play" with tire pressure also. I'm running 15psi in the front and 28psi in the rear.

boborgera
05-15-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm thinking of just replacing the front shocks for now. I should know know if I need to replace the rear
when I get back from the Durango event.
Might "play" with tire pressure also. I'm running 15psi in the front and 28psi in the rear.

I would up the front pressure to 17/18, 15 tends to get a little squirmy. The rear seems good at 28.

Dib52
05-15-2012, 09:24 PM
I've poured over these kind of posts since joining. After reading everything, I'm running the front shocks at 4, pumped the air bag to 70 psi, have the front tires at 19 psi and the rear at 28 psi. We generally are 2 up 75% of the time and these settings give wifey a nice ride. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that we're on the heavier side, I'll leave it at that.
Now, when the mrs. isn't on, it's a lot more fun in the twisties. Just a tad bit harsher of a ride, but I've gotten used to it. Where my settings shine are for the two of us.

Pincushion
05-16-2012, 10:43 AM
This year my wife and I rode from San Diego CA to Cuba for Spyderfest MO with a friend that rides an RTS.
When we arrived at Cowtown we noticed the line of Spyders waiting to have Elka shocks installed. For just over 8 months I have had a set of Elka 3Way+ on my RS and it made a world of difference, so when my friend asked if the helped I didn't hesitate to answer YES. On that that first day my friend had the Stage one's installed on the front of his Spyder, driving back to the motel that evening you could tell he was amazed by the changes he could feel right away even though he had only ridden the 5 miles from Cowtown to the Chateau Inn at highway speed with only a few corners. He literally was jumping up and down when he got off his spyder at the motel "I can't believe what a difference it made, it's like a different spyder" he said. Over the next few days he had Trooper adjust (fine tune) the settings as he put the Elka's through the paces on both the passport runs. On the ride back to San Diego, he was quicker in the corners because the roll the that often caused a rider to over steer, was completely eliminated, he was less impacted by the cross winds than prior to the Elka's (good thing because we were battered by the wind all the way through NM AZ and CA)

In my opinion the Spyder should have come with Elka's suspension for the factory, it make it handle like the high performance machine it is.

Elka did their homework when it came to the Spyder (thanks to Lamont and Len at Cowtown for helping them along the way) I was able to mett John from Elka (Trooper here on SL) at Spyderfest he is very helpful, and it is obvious that he enjoys what he does. If you have a question about what Elka's will do for your Spyder send him a PM, he will help you and answer any question you have, without a sales pitch, just honest answers. You can also ask a multitude of Spyder owners that have added Elka's to their Spyder and they will attest to the difference it made.
I know that Cowtown has sold a TON of Elka's for the Spyder (both RT and RS) and continue to do so. Call or PM Len at Cowtown (pitbull on SL) he is also glad to provide any info he can to answer your questions. (I wish we had a dealer like Cowtown in San Diego)
-George