PDA

View Full Version : Leak proof Gas can

Badazzspydee
05-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Okay everyone, I suck at using the search feature. That being said, I need the info on the gas container for the right side bag (who what where to buy)

Thanks!!!

NancysToy
05-14-2012, 11:55 AM
I use REDA cans...in the left side bag. Got mine from ESI.

Boyd2010RT
05-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Why would there be a preference for one side or the other?

:dontknow:

Grandpa Spyder
05-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Wal-mart I carry it in left side

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/CW_Tuggle/Guns/DSCF0001-15.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/CW_Tuggle/Guns/DSCF0002-17.jpg

Badazzspydee
05-14-2012, 12:32 PM
thanks guys. That is what I was looking for.

mastertek2000
05-14-2012, 01:02 PM

That's easy the exhaust in on the right side heat wiith gas not good LOL

mastertek2000
05-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Okay everyone, I suck at using the search feature. That being said, I need the info on the gas container for the right side bag (who what where to buy)

Thanks!!!
Can I ask y you would need that much extra gas.?? As NT sattated use it in left bag away for exshaust pipe

bmwlarry
05-14-2012, 01:10 PM
I use REDA and picked one up at the local Harley Shop.

larrymz3
05-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Wal-mart I carry it in left side

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/CW_Tuggle/Guns/DSCF0001-15.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/CW_Tuggle/Guns/DSCF0002-17.jpg

I was looking at getting that. Any issues with leaking or gas smell?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Grandpa Spyder
05-14-2012, 01:19 PM
None, No Leaks No Gas smell

boborgera
05-14-2012, 02:10 PM
I was looking at getting that. Any issues with leaking or gas smell?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk H

Nothing wrong with that one but home depot sells almost the same one, But one difference the nozzle stores inside the can
so there's more room in your bags, Also i put 1 1/2 gal in it. I've been using it for 3+ years no leak or smell, even sitting on it's side. The manufacturer's name is SCEPTAR.

:bowdown:Correction, that's the same can i have. Can't see the top in the picture i thought it was the Wall Mart one.:bowdown:

harrypottar
05-14-2012, 03:33 PM
The REDA gas can's are the way to go, there under $30 but designed to push to the end of saddle bags, I carry one in my Goldwing and will when I get my Spyder.

Its the vapor you have to be carful of, it can build up in the saddle bags and stink, these are 100% vapor proof. Small but enough to get you or a fellow stranded motorcyclist out of trouble.

http://www.redagascan.com/

Sold on line and in stores everywhere

Here's a stock picture of one in a Spyder.

Harry

Grandpa Spyder
05-14-2012, 03:40 PM
The one I posted is $9.99

SpydermanCT
05-14-2012, 08:04 PM
I purchased one from ESI last summer but it reeked of fuel the few times I brought it with me. Think there is such a thing as a defective one?

boborgera
05-14-2012, 08:13 PM
I purchased one from ESI last summer but it reeked of fuel the few times I brought it with me. Think there is such a thing as a defective one?

Firefly once posted that he got a bad one also. :dontknow:

Hey things happen!

NancysToy
05-14-2012, 08:27 PM
They had some problems. I think there were some design changes. Contact the manufacturer, I think they will replace the can or defective parts.

bone crusher
05-14-2012, 08:39 PM

Yes...there was a line that had improper fitting...I sent my back for another...no issues now...

It's REDA or nothing...nothing is as secure as the REDA and you don't want gas fumes building up in your bags...

To all those out there with Walmart cans...come on...spend the money and get the safe product...

larrymz3
05-14-2012, 09:19 PM
I've read a lot of folks on the HD forum I frequent complain that the spout leaks and is difficult to pour without leaking.

Many recommend practicing with the can filled with water until you are familiar with it's pouring.

NancysToy
05-14-2012, 10:14 PM
I've read a lot of folks on the HD forum I frequent complain that the spout leaks and is difficult to pour without leaking.

Many recommend practicing with the can filled with water until you are familiar with it's pouring.

It is difficult to pour, and can leak onto your hands....as are most brands of safety spouts nowadays. Government regulations... I carry a couple of pairs of nitrile gloves with the REDA cans for that reason.

boborgera
05-14-2012, 10:58 PM
It is difficult to pour, and can leak onto your hands....as are most brands of safety spouts nowadays. Government regulations... I carry a couple of pairs of nitrile gloves with the REDA cans for that reason

I reamed out the spout [spring and green tab] on my non reda can, Now the gas pores right into my gas tank no leaks or fuss.

texasride
05-15-2012, 05:40 AM
My question how Maney do you that carry the extra can of gas, has had to use it. Even in Texas I have not experience a ride where I felt I,need to carry extra can of gas, just my 2 cents worth :yes:

MarkLawson
05-15-2012, 07:02 AM
My question how Maney do you that carry the extra can of gas, has had to use it. Even in Texas I have not experience a ride where I felt I,need to carry extra can of gas, just my 2 cents worth :yes:

I've not used mine yet, although I do carry my Reda cans (either 2 or 4) when on long trips. What they do for me is to give me piece of mind so I don't worry about it. That is sufficient reason for me to carry extra gas.

Bob Denman
05-15-2012, 07:24 AM
:agree: It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. :shocked:

bullant12
05-15-2012, 07:25 AM

I've not used mine yet, although I do carry my Reda cans (either 2 or 4) when on long trips. What they do for me is to give me piece of mind so I don't worry about it. That is sufficient reason for me to carry extra gas.

:agree: with Mark... I had the same plane of thought as you did Texasride... until coming back from St. Louis to Memphis I ran out of gas TWICE!!!:yikes: Reda can on it's way!:coffee:

Max LTD
05-15-2012, 07:47 AM
My extra fuel solution is with a RotoPax gas can. I have been using the RotoPax can for years riding my ATV and NO leaks. I really like my config with the rack, works very well.

Lamonster
05-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Yes...there was a line that had improper fitting...I sent my back for another...no issues now...

It's REDA or nothing...nothing is as secure as the REDA and you don't want gas fumes building up in your bags...

To all those out there with Walmart cans...come on...spend the money and get the safe product...

I went with these and have had to use them on a trip. No leaks and no smell. They are in my trailer right now. :doorag:
http://www.rotopax.com/

harrypottar
05-15-2012, 08:07 AM

I have always carried one for extra security if riding back home over night and not all gas stations are 24 hours. Although I have never used it myself, I have helped other stranded motorists a couple of times.

harry

boborgera
05-15-2012, 08:35 AM
Knowing i have a extra gal and half in the back makes the low light less worry some, Especially coming home late at night. Out here after 9 or so very few station's if any are open. A few times i had to go out late and the gage was reading a little low,So i would just put the extra thank in the back then just get gas the next day when the stations are open.

bikeguy
05-15-2012, 10:09 AM

The right side bag is large enough to hold a full face helmet when you stop. The left side is not. So when we stop to eat or whatever, the wife's helmet goes in the right side saddle bag and mine goes in the frunk. The 2 REDA cans in the left side saddle bag lets me explore unfamiliar roads without worrying if there is a gas station somewhere down the road.

Cotton

Cavman
05-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Max LTD, where did you get that fine looking rack?

Rando
05-15-2012, 10:23 AM
http://www.spyderrt.embarqspace.com/#/more-products/4550690731

scroll down and you will see it.

Bob Denman
05-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Somebody in here has a Silver RT with a beautiful rear rack... Gadget's are real nice too, but these are over -the-top gorgeous! I know that this is not a helpful description, but any ideas out there of who it might be?? :dontknow:

Cavman
05-15-2012, 11:31 AM
www.spyderrt.info is their new website.

texasride
05-15-2012, 12:00 PM
284 miles on int 55 from at Louis to meph out gass twice?????? Hmmmmmm

bullant12
05-15-2012, 12:15 PM
284 miles on int 55 from at Louis to meph out gass twice?????? Hmmmmmm

2 different trips
Miscalulated milage:banghead:

texasride