PDA

View Full Version : U get what U pay for...

hrbeta
05-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Yesterday, as I'm coming back from Key Largo - FL - the 20% rain chance hits me HARD on the Turnpike. Was already wearing my $89 two piece plastic rain suit, after a struggle with the dammed Mickey Mouse zippers that kept biting into the material. Once the rain suit got soaked, the top (jacket) starts slipping up and acting like a loose sail, wanting to roll up all the way to my neck. I managed to sit on the back edge of it to hold it down, but that ain't the way to ride in the rain at 55 mph on a highway for 30 minutes.
When I got home, I still found myself drenched inside in my own juices from the 100% Florida humidity. I said to myself, that's it, I'm too old and "rich" enough to have to take this sh**, and remembered my dear old man when he used to say, son, you get what you pay for.
This morning I got me a proper, light-weight, expensive, one piece, Gore Tex, high visibility rain suit for the oncoming Florida hurricane season 😉
Look out for number one. 😜
http://img.tapatalk.com/42e5b8df-298d-e9f5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DynamoBT
05-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Details!!! Who makes it???

hrbeta
05-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Details!!! Who makes it???

www.aerostich.com
Roadcrafter Ultralight One Piece Suit
$847

Lamonster
05-14-2012, 11:13 AM
www.aerostich.com (http://www.aerostich.com)
$847

:yikes:

Bob Denman
05-14-2012, 11:15 AM
I've heard that Aerostitch makes a good suit; please don't forget to give us a review of it once you're "fortunate" enough :shocked: to get caught in some of Florida's more interesting weather with it... :thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-14-2012, 11:17 AM
...Just saw the price of it... :shocked: Here's to hoping that it proves that it was worth every penny! :cheers:

DynamoBT
05-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Gosh, that's quite the price!!! I sure hope it works!!!

bone crusher
05-14-2012, 11:32 AM
I never minded getting wet when I ride...esp. if it's 80+ degrees out...that's what a change of clothes is for...

I've gotten drenched a few times and when the T-storm ended, I dried before I got to my destination...

At least we don't have to sit under a bridge when it rains!

arntufun
05-14-2012, 11:36 AM
For that price, I will gladly get a little wet !!!!!!
nojoke

Dragonrider
05-14-2012, 11:45 AM
:dontknow: don't know why anyone would ride in that kind of weather….I have a cage for that….

larrymz3
05-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Dang for that much money you could hire someone to ride with you and hold and umbrella over your head...

hrbeta
05-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Well, I guess I'm just a fortunate s.o.b. 😉

Bob Denman
05-14-2012, 12:31 PM
If it works for you... :thumbup: that's all that matters!
Somebody should probably put together a list of the more commonly available raingear along with their pricing

chickridin
05-14-2012, 12:47 PM
:yikes: Dang! :yikes: You really must be rich...could you adopt me please??? :joke:

dancogan
05-14-2012, 02:13 PM
The Roadcrafter is much more than a rain suit. It's a total riding suit, with high quality fabric and fully armored. It has pockets everywhere and is very very easy to put on and take off. I've worn mine in temps over 100 F and down to the coldest days of MI winters (with Gerbings underneath). It has multiple zippers to provide ventilation. The normal weight suit is entirely suitable for wearing at a track day. Not sure about the ultra light weight one. All together it's a very high quality versatile riding suit, with a Gore Tex liner to make it waterproof.

Yup, you get what you pay for. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-14-2012, 02:24 PM
That's very good information... Thanks! :thumbup:
Now I'm gonna go shopping and see if I can give the Missus a stroke when I start showing her the pricing... :yikes: :roflblack:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-14-2012, 02:38 PM
SOOOOOOOOOO, WHO MAKES THE REALLY BAD SUIT YOU FIRST HAD .....WE DON'T WANT TO BUY THAT ONE ...YOU ALREADY TESTED IT........AND IT FAAAAAAAAAAAAAILED......MIKE....:thumbup:

hrbeta
05-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Easy Blue, I heard your screams 😉
I didn't say it's terrible, I'm sure there are worse ones out there. The leg's zippers are very cheap and they get jammed very easily. There is very little breathing inside the suit, probably acceptable in places without the high temperature/humidity of Florida. And the jacket's cut is way too loose, it flaps like an out of control sail at speeds over 50 mph or when in windy driving conditions. The brand is River Raod, the style is High-N-Dry and the price is $89.
I did not intent to shock anyone with my new suit, also I'd been told you are not allowed to bring your saving$ into Heaven 😜

Firefly
05-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Frogg Toggs are cheap and work fantastic. Rode thru 10 hours of hard rain on the way to SpyderFest (2011) and stayed really dry.

Netminder
05-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Easy Blue, I heard your screams 
I didn't say it's terrible, I'm sure there are worse ones out there. The leg's zippers are very cheap and they get jammed very easily. There is very little breathing inside the suit, probably acceptable in places without the high temperature/humidity of Florida. And the jacket's cut is way too loose, it flaps like an out of control sail at speeds over 50 mph or when in windy driving conditions. The brand is River Raod, the style is High-N-Dry and the price is $89.
I did not intent to shock anyone with my new suit, also I'd been told you are not allowed to bring your saving$ into Heaven 

Spend it if you got it! And if it is something you want. You can't take it with you!

Lamonster
05-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Frogg Toggs are cheap and work fantastic. Rode thru 10 hours of hard rain on the way to SpyderFest (2011) and stayed really dry.

Never owned a set that didn't leak and I've owned about 6 sets now. :dontknow:

wyliec
05-14-2012, 05:37 PM
If it works for you... :thumbup: that's all that matters!
Somebody should probably put together a list of the more commonly available raingear along with their pricing

Hefty garbage bag; a buck 2.97.

FrankPa
05-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Bass Pro has free shipping on clothign right now, and if I don't like the fit, I can return to the local store (which doesn't have as nice a selection as online).

Any suggestions for type or model # of Frogg Toggs?

Questions
05-14-2012, 05:45 PM
wow that is expensive, hope it works for you..

on a side note, at that price do you get teleported to the grid as well for some light cycle racing ;)

larrymz3
05-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Bass Pro has free shipping on clothign right now, and if I don't like the fit, I can return to the local store (which doesn't have as nice a selection as online).

That's what I was wondering. They make several different models, and not sure which to get.

spyderbirds
05-14-2012, 06:02 PM
That's what I was wondering. They make several different models, and not sure which to get.

The wife and I have the Road Toad suits by Frogg Toggs and so far we havent gotten wet in them. we road in some moderate to heavy rain although only about 20 minutes of it last month. I think any gear will get you wet eventually if you ride long enough in hard enough rain.

ThreeFeet
05-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Frogg Toggs are cheap and work fantastic. Rode thru 10 hours of hard rain on the way to SpyderFest (2011) and stayed really dry.:agree:

IGETAROUND
05-14-2012, 08:45 PM
For what it's worth: these are pictures of my riding suit purchased from TEIZ. It is a mesh suit with insulating layer and waterproof layer both removable and with the inclusion of electric gear and gloves should allow freezing to 100 degree riding with comfort. This was custom manufactured with shipping included for $525.00.:yes::clap:nojoke

Trickie Dick
05-14-2012, 08:49 PM

I got a Bass Pro Qualifier jacket and pants. I got the jacket off ebay,new with tags, at a greatly reduced price and I got the pants in one of their stores on the sale rack at 70% off. Also new. They are gore tex and waterproof. The jacket has a hood. I haven't had a opportunity(?) to ride in a heavy rain yet but they are guaranteed to keep you dry.
The 100 mph series is a little heavier so I went with the lighter pro qualifier.

effgjamis
05-14-2012, 10:54 PM
:dontknow: don't know why anyone would ride in that kind of weather….I have a cage for that….

Hummm.... cage..... I guess you tow the cage while riding or do you just stop and call the Chauffeour...:roflblack::roflblack:

SpyderAnn01
05-14-2012, 11:07 PM
My husband wears Aerostitch and he loves it. The quality is A+. It isn't one size fits all they make alterations to fit your measurements. You absolutely get what you pay for!

mastertek2000
05-15-2012, 05:15 AM
I love my REV'IT! Pacific H2O Rain Suit works great have yet to find some part of me wet when it rains they are made in The Netherlands. who else knows more about water
$99.99 free shipping
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-pacific-h2o-rain-suit
REV'IT! Pacific H2O Rain Suit
In developing the PACIFIC H20 rain suit, one of the main goals was to make it easy to put on in just a few seconds – about the time it takes you to get soaked during a heavy shower. Mission accomplished. The solution lies not only in the long, diagonal front closure, but especially in the newly developed, non-stick, PVC-free coating on the inside of the Power Nylon outer shell. The result is a 100% waterproof, breathable, and very practical all-weather companion that will meet the demands of any rider. Convenient features include a storage pocket on the upper leg. For safety, reflection panels on the shoulders and lower legs ensure great visibility. If you need to stand out in traffic even more, the PACIFIC H2O comes in a high-visibility neon yellow option.
PROTECTION FEATURES

Outer shell: PVC-free PWR|Oxford with PU coating, PVC-free PWR|Oxford EN471 with PU coating (in Neon Yellow color only)
Waterproofing: 100% waterproof
Composition: 100% polyester (100% polyurethane coating)
Visibility: reflection at shoulders and legs, reflective logo at chest and back

ERGONOMIC FEATURES

Fit: tour fit, regular
Adjustability: adjustment tabs at upper arm, cuffs and ankles

Features:

PVC-free
XL front zipper
Elastic at waistline
Includes transport bag
Stash pocket on left leg
EN343 certified

texasride
05-15-2012, 05:31 AM
What is the old saying a fool and his money are sone parted 800.00 for rain suit nojoke

CJ/johnnyg
05-15-2012, 05:32 AM

Well you don't live in Fl. You never know when they are going to hit. and besides the spyder rides with no problem in the rain.

mastertek2000
05-15-2012, 05:40 AM
What is the old saying a fool and his money are sone parted 800.00 for rain suit nojoke

it's not the money part i have a problem that suite will take up one hole saddle bag

SethO
05-15-2012, 05:55 AM

I will say sell your bike and drive one then. The idea that you would ride for any amount of time and not hit bad weather is what people in the bar that have a bike in the garage lie to themselves about.

www.aerostich.com (http://www.aerostich.com)
$847

Best place on the planet, my blem (which I have yet to find) road crafter jacket was the best 375 bucks I have ever spent on gear, it does everything well and a few things great. Made by MC riders for MC riders that really ride there bikes, if you spent a majority of your time in a year wearing something would you not want the person that made it to really think about that? Aerostich does.

I hope you really think about this statement. its not just a rainsuit, its riding pants, jacket and a track suit that is the BEST thing to ride in on the planet, you notice the suits that Ewin Mcgregor wears in the long way around and the long way down? there is a reason for that, from the desert to the snow, Aerostich does it all. I am a poor kid from a family of 12 and my dad cheapness did wear off but if you use it every day then its worth paying a little more. Plus if you crash aerostich will pay for what you bring into them and you don't have to pay for a full replacement and they alter any suit they make to make it fit you.

My husband wears Aerostitch and he loves it. The quality is A+. It isn't one size fits all they make alterations to fit your measurements. You absolutely get what you pay for!

And that is why joe is the man. If you (including joe) have not made it to the Aerostich in duluth, you should all setup around riders and you can go in there and talk to whoever made the parts on the stuff you bought there.

Bob Denman
05-15-2012, 06:06 AM
Never owned a set that didn't leak and I've owned about 6 sets now. :dontknow:

Maybe the tools that you're probably always carrying in your back pocket are poking holes in your raingear?? :shocked: :roflblack: :joke:

Bob Denman
05-15-2012, 06:08 AM
Easy there Big Guy... If it ain't for you then don't buy it... If it works for him; :thumbup:

hrbeta
05-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Hey guys, this is about rain gear... Why should I care how anyone spends HIS/HER money ?
To some fools out there who cannot afford one, Spyder owners are spoiled rich s.o.bs. It seems I'm a DOUBLE s.o.b. now 😜.
Spend your money before the gov spends it for you 😰

zrc
05-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Hey guys, this is about rain gear... Why should I care how anyone spends HIS/HER money ?
To some fools out there who cannot afford one, Spyder owners are spoiled rich s.o.bs. It seems I'm a DOUBLE s.o.b. now .
Spend your money before the gov spends it for you 

I get the "you sure must have a lot of money to afford that" or the "Your pretty young to be rich" comments from people about my spyder. So I feel ya there.

And heck to the yea on the spending it before the government takes it. Cause they will.

Lamonster
05-15-2012, 08:32 AM
To some fools out there who cannot afford one, Spyder owners are spoiled rich s.o.bs. It seems I'm a DOUBLE s.o.b. now .

:agree:
I didn't realize they were that much but that's not to say they are not worth it. I'm a big believer in buying the best if you plan on using it all the time. I have yet to hear of anyone that didn't love their Aerostich (http://www.aerostich.com/) gear. :doorag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nknhqMLXgc

Jeriatric
05-15-2012, 08:51 AM

"Spend your money before the gov spends it for you" :agree: :thumbup:

dancogan
05-15-2012, 09:09 AM
As an example of how easy it is to get a Roadcrafter on and off, it took him all of 20 seconds to shed the outfit and he didn't seem to be rushing. Great video.

I'm a little surprised at the critical tone of some of the comments posted. :banghead:

Jeriatric
05-15-2012, 09:40 AM

Thought you might like this alternative. Never really worked for us over there so I'm sure they are readily available. At a GREAT PRICE!

http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/vn/poncho.html

Trickie Dick
05-15-2012, 09:49 AM
There's another old saying:
Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt:lecturef_smilie:nojoke

SpyderAnn01
05-15-2012, 09:57 AM
And that is why joe is the man. If you (including joe) have not made it to the Aerostich in duluth, you should all setup around riders and you can go in there and talk to whoever made the parts on the stuff you bought there.

Seth, if you plan your wedding around the Aerostitch garage sale we will absolutely come to Dirt Town. :roflblack:

boborgera
05-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Thought you might like this alternative. Never really worked for us over there so I'm sure they are readily available. At a GREAT PRICE!

http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/vn/poncho.html

Brings back memories.:yikes:

Diamond R
05-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Allen & I have used the Frogg Toggs for years and we think they are great.They do not make you sweat like a lot of the other rain suits do .Make sure you buy them large enough to wear your warm clothing in the winter time too.I don't think you would be sorry to try out some Frogg Toggs and they have been around for years. I even saw our local Walmart is now carrying them.
Enjoy the Ride

wyliec
05-15-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm a little surprised at the critical tone of some of the comments posted. :banghead:

I was joking with what I said, which was obvious. I do have actual rain gear. But, some of the comments made are way over the top.

ARtraveler
05-15-2012, 11:02 AM
That was a very good video of Andy Goldfine (the owner) showing off the suit. If the suit can stand up to Lake Superior when she gets angry, its going to be pretty good for riding the motorcycle in the rain.

Areostitch has been around for many years and they make some really good stuff. The price has always been up there, but you do get what you pay for. The fact that they will tailor it to fit you is another good point.

Bob Denman
05-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Actually Wylie, I'm pretty sure that most of us have grabbed big garbage bag and cut a hole in the top to poke our noggins through at one time or another... If it's all that you've got, it's what you'll use! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_2_8v.gif

pro10is
05-15-2012, 11:39 AM

Anyone who owns an Aerostich is no fool, quite the contrary. If riding in total comfort and great protection are important to you then it's worth every penny. The first thing I found out about motorcycling was that the investment doesn't end with the bike. If you're going to be riding in the open elements then you need to invest in the right gear and the right gear ain't cheap. Aerostich make some the best quality riding gear on the planet. If you're serious about riding you'd do yourself a favor to check out their products.

Jeriatric
05-15-2012, 12:42 PM
I was joking with what I said, which was obvious. I do have actual rain gear. But, some of the comments made are way over the top.

:joke: Only having a little fun with ya wyliec. Nothing personal, rest assured. Now, go find yourself some raindrops, or at least listen to the song. You remember B. J. Thomas' song, don't ya.

bcoulter19
05-15-2012, 12:48 PM
I was talking to a friend about this thread and they asked me why not get some frog toggs. they work well and are waterproof. :)

NancysToy
05-15-2012, 02:24 PM
I was talking to a friend about this thread and they asked me why not get some frog toggs. they work well and are waterproof. :)
Like every brand and model of raingear, they work for some and not for others. Some riders swear by them, and some swear at them. There is no universal solution. Like windshields, it sometimes takes a few tries before you get it right.

rogerb
05-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Look for the Frogg Toggs for motorcycling. Jafrum has them for around $60.

texasride
05-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Wow touch a nerve I guess :lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie:

SethO
05-15-2012, 03:38 PM
oh yeah and I forgot to say that Aerostich stuff is made in AmerICA by America's which is another reason to pay a little more because it stays in this country which is damn hard to do. Look at what a average jacket on motorcyclesuperstore costs and then where its made, the zippers, the pocket placement and the overall quality of the product makes these the BMW of the jacket world.

It seriously good stuff, I met the owner of the place that is the same guy in the video when I was there. I think I swore to much for him but his lead designer buddy with him was all about a honest conversation about motorcycling, being handicrapped and gear in general.

I should also point out that I have frog toggs too. I don't use the bottoms because of my handicrappness ( you have to put your pants on different than everyone else, laying down) but they are great if you need another layer of wind blocking and if you put them over your heated vest, (made of a gorillas chest) they cook you like a pork roast, which is nice at sub 40's and raining.

Lamont was right that people love there aerostich stuff, it goes farther than that. Do a search for used aerostich jackets and compare it to all other used mc jackets. Its quite amazing how few if any you find that are not sold by Aerostich themselves.

docdoru
05-15-2012, 03:41 PM
...and the overall quality of the product makes these the BMW of the jacket world.
In this case, I like-it! :thumbup: ;)

Lamonster
05-15-2012, 03:59 PM
In this case, I like-it! :thumbup: ;)

:thumbup:;)
http://mlui.org/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/money-to-burn.jpg

docdoru
05-15-2012, 06:25 PM
:thumbup:;)
http://mlui.org/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/money-to-burn.jpg

:agree: http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/1-18-20129-34-21AM.png?t=1337124045http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/1-18-20129-34-21AM.png?t=1337124045:doorag:

Chazzman
05-15-2012, 07:21 PM
I hope you like it. I purchased one a year or so ago and it was very uncomfortable and felt like it weighed 20 lbs. I sent it back for a full refund but I did have to pay the shipping back.

It certainly gives a lot of protection...

I still have my Tour master that is wind and water proof, good down to about 35 degrees all the way up to 65. It's about 15 years old and cost me $200, the down side is that it has no real protection if you go down. Then again I ride in jeans and shirts most of the summer months, no protection...

Erags
05-15-2012, 07:56 PM
The Oak Leaf wine at Wally World is 2.97 and a couple of bottles and the rain feels good.

Hefty garbage bag; a buck 2.97.

Bob Denman
05-16-2012, 06:54 AM
Look at what a average jacket on motorcyclesuperstore costs and then where its made, the zippers, the pocket placement and the overall quality of the product makes these the BMW of the jacket world.

Wouldn't it be MORE accurate to say that, "BMW is the "Aerostitch" of the Motorcycle World"?? :roflblack:

Cal777
05-30-2012, 01:39 PM
I love my REV'IT! Pacific H2O Rain Suit works great have yet to find some part of me wet when it rains they are made in The Netherlands. who else knows more about water
$99.99 free shipping
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-pacific-h2o-rain-suit
REV'IT! Pacific H2O Rain Suit
In developing the PACIFIC H20 rain suit, one of the main goals was to make it easy to put on in just a few seconds – about the time it takes you to get soaked during a heavy shower. Mission accomplished. The solution lies not only in the long, diagonal front closure, but especially in the newly developed, non-stick, PVC-free coating on the inside of the Power Nylon outer shell. The result is a 100% waterproof, breathable, and very practical all-weather companion that will meet the demands of any rider. Convenient features include a storage pocket on the upper leg. For safety, reflection panels on the shoulders and lower legs ensure great visibility. If you need to stand out in traffic even more, the PACIFIC H2O comes in a high-visibility neon yellow option.
PROTECTION FEATURES

Outer shell: PVC-free PWR|Oxford with PU coating, PVC-free PWR|Oxford EN471 with PU coating (in Neon Yellow color only)
Waterproofing: 100% waterproof
Composition: 100% polyester (100% polyurethane coating)
Visibility: reflection at shoulders and legs, reflective logo at chest and back

ERGONOMIC FEATURES

Fit: tour fit, regular
Adjustability: adjustment tabs at upper arm, cuffs and ankles

Features:

PVC-free
XL front zipper
Elastic at waistline
Includes transport bag
Stash pocket on left leg
EN343 certified

Does this rainsuit have a hood built in? Thanks

d.o.spyder-rts
05-30-2012, 02:56 PM

I'm not sure of the model, but I have a 2 piece set of Frog Toggs. The times I've had to wear them, they have kept me dry. Dale

J. Mark
05-31-2012, 05:27 AM

Frogg Toggs get my vote as well

Trickie Dick
05-31-2012, 07:15 AM
Does this rainsuit have a hood built in? Thanks

no

Bootie
05-31-2012, 07:24 AM
Never owned a set that didn't leak and I've owned about 6 sets now. :dontknow::agree: I have gone thru several sets of Frog Togs. I think you have to consider them DISPOSABLE rain suits. They are good for one season but that's about it. They also seem to come apart in the wind, even if it ain't raining. I still carry them on my RT, though, and when they fall apart, I buy another.:D

Daisyjoe
05-31-2012, 11:24 AM
Frogg Toggs get my vote as well

:2thumbs: