PDA

View Full Version : 2010 spyder rt audio and convenience

BigLegMac
05-13-2012, 11:57 PM
Hi, i am new to the site and would like to know if anyone is having the problems that i am having with my spyder since I picked it up in april of 2011. I bought it as a demo and it had around 5200 miles on it. I have had it in the shop more than I rode it last year and yet again it is in the shop again. I seem to be having a problem with the rpms going up and down on the bike while it is in park, then it shuts off, and knocks real loud. The dealership finally figured out what the problem was and rode the bike one more time this year 2012 in March on a warm day and heard what I was talking about and replaced a part on it. I bought it in last october and got it back mid march. It rode fine for a while, then I noticed that the shift would stick in high gear and I would have to press the shift to get the bike to shift to 1st when coming to a stop. I took my first long ride to St. Louis Mo a few weekends ago and it only stuck once slowing down to get on ramp it was still in 5th gear and would not shift down and stalled on me on the ramp. I pulled over quickly and had to take out the key to get it to shift back to lst gear. Now I got on the bike to go for a ride and got 2 miles from my home and while waiting for a light, I took off and noticed that the bike would not speed up and pulled over to the next side street, took out the key and the bike still would not respond. The rpms moved from 1 to 2.5 , then when I tried to put it in first gear I could hear misses in the engine and the knocking noises again which prevented me from going forward on the bike. The bike would go into reverse with no problem. Now it will be in shop yet again for 2 to 3 weeks. I am not getting much riding time on this bike because of the enormous amount of time in the shop. I just want to know if my bike is a lemon? and what are my options? I am a new female rider and just got my license to ride in november of 2011 bought spyder in Dec 2011. I just want to ride. This bike costs too much money to have all the problems that I am experiencing. Will i need a new engine next? I am concerned about the knocking noises when putting the bike in first gear and if I try to drive it it gets louder and the bike moves very slow. Pleas help! My dealer is in Hammond, Indiana. I am scared to add anything to it.:(

CyncySpyder
05-14-2012, 12:17 AM
2010 was the very first year for the RT Spyder to come to market & many dealers had issues with properly setting them up. We had a 2010 RT-S with many of the same issues you reported. Like you, ours was in the shop more than in our pocession, extremely frustrating. Ours was originally purchased in WVA which do not include motorcycles in their Lemon Laws. I would contact BRP Consumer Affairs directly, Carlos was a contact for us on the SpyderLovers forum, but last I heard, he was on leave. If you do a search for Carlos, you should be able to find a contact number or email address, and possibly the contact info for the lady that is covering for him. We ended up trading our trouble-child 2010 for an Awesome 2011 SpyderFest Edition RT-S from Len at Cowtown & have nothing but good things to say about this unit. The initial dealer set-up can make or break these bikes & back when they were new to market, their was a learning curve to say the least. I'm truly sorry your having to experience these issues & hope you can get the problems resolved so you can enjoy the machine, as they are truly an awesome vehicle to be enjoyed.

dav n ted~

bikeguy
05-14-2012, 12:39 AM
First, I'm really sorry that you are having these problems and I hope that your dealer, maybe with some help from BRP, can get everything fixed for you. If the dealer needs to contact BRP Tech to get some help in solving the problems, I know from personal experience that they are normally quite helpful. I'm not familiar enough with the SE5 to talk about the shifting problems but some fairly loud clunking noises when shifting are common with Spyders, especially when shifting into 1st gear. As for the RPM problems and the lack of power problems, that sounds a lot like the problems that some 2010 RT's, including mine, had with throttle bodies. If that's the problem, the fix involves replacing the throttle body and updating the software. If yours is still under warranty, it would be fixed under warranty. Hope it's fixed for you soon and you can enjoy riding it.

Cotton

BigLegMac
05-14-2012, 12:54 AM
Thank you guys for all of your help. I would like to have the contact info for the BRP rep and I did purchase the extended warranty on my bike. I did get something replaced on my bike in march, it was a big part, maybe it was the throttle body. The tow truck guy told me that he towed a bike like mine to the dealer and said the transmission may be bad. I bought my bike in Nashville, Il and trailered it back home because they gave me a better deal on the bike. I will contact my dealer monday to see if they looked at it yet. :pray:

ijon1
05-14-2012, 04:58 AM
2010 was the very first year for the RT Spyder to come to market & many dealers had issues with properly setting them up. We had a 2010 RT-S with many of the same issues you reported. Like you, ours was in the shop more than in our pocession, extremely frustrating. Ours was originally purchased in WVA which do not include motorcycles in their Lemon Laws. I would contact BRP Consumer Affairs directly, Carlos was a contact for us on the SpyderLovers forum, but last I heard, he was on leave. If you do a search for Carlos, you should be able to find a contact number or email address, and possibly the contact info for the lady that is covering for him. We ended up trading our trouble-child 2010 for an Awesome 2011 SpyderFest Edition RT-S from Len at Cowtown & have nothing but good things to say about this unit. The initial dealer set-up can make or break these bikes & back when they were new to market, their was a learning curve to say the least. I'm truly sorry your having to experience these issues & hope you can get the problems resolved so you can enjoy the machine, as they are truly an awesome vehicle to be enjoyed.

dav n ted~You hit the nail right on the head about the dealer being a key player in your Spyder running right. Keeping his eye on things that might give you problems.

Bob Denman
05-14-2012, 06:52 AM
:shocked: I'm sorry to hear that you're going through all of this... It sure sounds as if your Spyder is going into "Limp" mode. Do you know how to pull active codes from the computer??
Bike running...
Lay your left thumb across both the "Mode" and "Set" buttons
Push in the turnsignal button as if you were cancelling a signal

Anything that's currently giving your bike fits should pop up as a code on the main screen. Jot the numbers down, call your dealer... tell us too! Sombody will be able to tell you what all oft his means.
Good Luck! Let us know what you find! :thumbup:

dmdahnert
05-14-2012, 07:11 AM
I have a 2010 RT A&C SE5 and have been lucky (Knock on wood), that it has run pretty well over the last 2 years. I did experience the same problem you described when we were at Spyderfest. In our case, it was the throttle body and they were able to replace while there although my place in line did make me wait most of the day. Not a bad thing, just visited all the vendors that were set up. Anyway, mention to your dealer about the throttle body because just because they replace it, they might not set it up right. This was my understanding from the BRP techs who were at Cowtown that day.

"I took off and noticed that the bike would not speed up and pulled over to the next side street, took out the key and the bike still would not respond. The rpms moved from 1 to 2.5 , then when I tried to put it in first gear I could hear misses in the engine and the knocking noises again which prevented me from going forward on the bike."

BYW, I'm also a female rider in the Rockford IL area. How far are you from Woodstock IL? There is a fantastic dealer there that I switched to from my local dealer when it was obvious they were not giving my bike the care or attention I wanted. Good luck on getting your ryde fixed!

Diana

BigLegMac
05-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the info. I am about 75 miles from woodstock tho. I will see how my bike runs when i get it back in a couple of weeks.

BigLegMac
05-20-2012, 11:06 PM
i want to thank everyone for their help. I got my bike back on friday and they fixed the brake recall and changed my oil FOR FREE, and I took the bike for a ride on saturday too and it rode without any problems. It was a very hot day out here and the temperature on the bike was 102 degrees but the bike did not overheat. The bike does get really hot around your feet and legs. I bought that cover for it. I just need someone to put it on for me. I am so glad I got my bike back. It was the throttle body that was replaced in march but i cant really tell what they did to my bike this time except those two things. It would not drive in 1st gear before but it seems to be working properly. I am happy to be riding again.:D