PDA

View Full Version : Saddlebags

Kinderhook
05-13-2012, 12:05 PM
I was asked in a PM to upload pictures of my aftermarket saddlebags. I went to LeatherMan in Osage Beach, MO and tried several sizes and styles of bags. I wanted as large as possible without interfering wilth turn signal lights. Found several and this one works with extended passenger pegs should a passeger be aboard. The part passing over the Spyder was way too short, of course so I improvised. I used perforations that were intended to lace the two sides together and using wire and trial and error established the correct length. I then used a piece of galvanized steel as an extension by pop riviting to the ends using original holes as they were perfectly sized for my rivits. I like the traditional look of these bags and LeatherMan had two other styles that would have worked. One had a single strap and buckle, the other was studded, sort of the HD look. The bags rest against the peg wing to prevent them from contacting moving parts and to keep location. They are waterproof and easily removable by unzipping either one or both. With one unzipped the other can be removed along with the hanger by simply passing through the passenger hand grips. I used a sticky foam tape on the sharp edge of Spyder panel to protect my paint. The best part? $140 including tax.
l

coz
05-13-2012, 12:20 PM
that's a great mod kinder, pretty cheap too. thanks for posting it. could you add a pic showing the whole bike with saddlebag ? thanks,,, coz :thumbup:

ARtraveler
05-13-2012, 12:23 PM
A nice looking mod at a very reasonable price. :cheers:

coz
05-13-2012, 01:44 PM
they look pretty cool. i don't recall seeing leather bags on a spyder before. can you tell us about your highway pegs? they also look like a unique arrangement.:thumbup: :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Kinderhook
05-13-2012, 08:47 PM
they look pretty cool. i don't recall seeing leather bags on a spyder before. can you tell us about your highway pegs? they also look like a unique arrangement.:thumbup: :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Spyder had floorboards on it when I purchased it with 570 miles on the odometer. They had required cutting some of the fairing off to fit resulting in a lot of heat to the right foot. I have size 14/15 feet and they did not fit on the floorboard without contacting the brake and shift lever--not good. I built extensions by bolting 1" square aluminum tubing to the existing floorboard and adding 1 1/2" to riser that, raising my foot outboard of the fairing covering the radiator and oil cooler. This has the effect of placing my feet about the same height as the stock footpegs, but about 1' forward and outboard of the bike and most heat. Works for me as a change of position and placing my knees at almost 90 degrees on the highway, a much more comfortable stance for long rides. Painted the whole thing a gloss black to match Spyder Trim and faced the riser with aluminum ribbing for tirm. Looks pretty good and feels great. Built the whole thing out of scrap saved from other projects at a cost of zero.