PDA

View Full Version : RT headlight adjustments

spyder3
05-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Hi, since i keep getting people flashing headlights at me I am going to adjust my headlights.

The manual says to turn the adjustment screw(which doesn't look like the one i have) counter clockwise to lower the beam. It raises the beam on mine. Clockwise lowers it....:dontknow: i guess it doesnt matter but...was it put together wrong or what?

NancysToy
05-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Adjust it whichever way you need to. Be sure and have someone sit in the seat and have the rear suspension set the way you normally run it. If you are getting flashed in the daytime, it is not the adjustment. The Spyder has projection lens headlights that cast a narrow beam. When this beam bounces directly into and out of an oncoming driver's eyes, they think you are flashing them. If you run with high beams in the daytime, that is less likely to happen, as you restore the top part of the beam that is covered with the shutter on low beam.

spyder3
05-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Adjust it whichever way you need to. Be sure and have someone sit in the seat and have the rear suspension set the way you normally run it. If you are getting flashed in the daytime, it is not the adjustment. The Spyder has projection lens headlights that cast a narrow beam. When this beam bounces directly into and out of an oncoming driver's eyes, they think you are flashing them. If you run with high beams in the daytime, that is less likely to happen, as you restore the top part of the beam that is covered with the shutter on low beam.

Thanks scotty. It's only at night that i am getting flashed. I ride solo and 2 up probably an equal amount of time, so is there a range to be within? 25.3 -28.8 above ground as per the manual?

NancysToy
05-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks scotty. It's only at night that i am getting flashed. I ride solo and 2 up probably an equal amount of time, so is there a range to be within? 25.3 -28.8 above ground as per the manual?
I don't adjust strictly by the manual, so I couldn't say with certainty. If you do a fair amount of 2-up at night, I'd stick to the lower measurement...probably with a rider or sandbag in the saddle. That way when the passenger is onboard, you won't be too high.

Bob Denman
05-14-2012, 07:10 AM
"Pro10" put together a very comprehensive chart of aiming heights at varying distances for both the RT and RS models. :2thumbs: If you can find them, it might give you some gooding starting points for adjustments.

Arr MiHardies
05-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Mine are set at max height. Any lower make cars flash their brights at me. Lower than that makes them not illuminate enough of the road. Ymmv.

Bob Denman
05-14-2012, 10:25 AM
:agree: That sharp cutoff of the beam just about leaves me seeing... not nearly enough! :gaah:

Arr MiHardies
05-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Hi, since i keep getting people flashing headlights at me I am going to adjust my headlights.

The manual says to turn the adjustment screw(which doesn't look like the one i have) counter clockwise to lower the beam. It raises the beam on mine. Clockwise lowers it....:dontknow: i guess it doesnt matter but...was it put together wrong or what?

The adjustment screw is that big brass knob with an Allen wrench bit. Use an Allen wrench, it'll be easier.

pro10is
05-14-2012, 11:41 AM
"Pro10" put together a very comprehensive chart of aiming heights at varying distances for both the RT and RS models. :2thumbs: If you can find them, it might give you some gooding starting points for adjustments.

Here's the RT headlight adjustment chart.

Assumptions:
Spyder RT Headlight Height: 35.0" (This could change with a heavier/lighter driver/passenger, cargo load, tire pressure, performance shocks, etc.)
BRP Spec for Headlight Adjustment: Adjust for a low beam height of 25.3" to 28.8" (27.1" halfway point) at 33' with a 200 lb driver.
Calculated Angle: 1.15° downward

Angle

Distance
Low Beam Height Adjustment

1.15°
33'
25.3" - 28.8"

1.15°
30'
26.0" - 29.5"

1.15°
25'