PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gear question

Camdenlake
05-13-2012, 09:41 AM
We went for a good ride yesterday up to Ottawa and around. Did about 500km. Work great especially for a first ride in a long time. But my only real issue is the take off in first. It seems you need to rev (2-2500 maybe a bit more) it and ease the clutch out quite a bit. Is this ok just feels like its going to kill the clutch.

Love the ride still getting used to it but we tore up some curves pretty good 2up. This thing is glued to the road.

Josh

spydee66
05-13-2012, 09:46 AM
I only need to rev mine up a little when i'm on a slant or hill. It will usually take off by it's self by just slowly releasing the clutch. Once U get use to it a little more the clutch will get more comfortable to ya! U might want to consider getting a juicebox to give U a little more boost & HP. Since I installed mine i just let out the clutch and the power pushes me on out. Just an idea, Congrats on the run!!!!

dancogan
05-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Not sure you mentioned what bike you're on, but if it's an RT then there's more weight to get moving. In addition, sounds like you were riding 2-up which also adds more weight. I don't think the need to rev to the levels you used sounds all that bad. The idea would be to do it quickly and let the clutch out completely as quickly as reasonably possible to avoid burning the clutch.

Camdenlake
05-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Sorry 2011 RT. It just feels like first is a tall gear. I let it out as per traffic seems worse after sitting in the hot temps in barley moving traffic. ( there may be roumours of stalling just rumours :) Just getting used to it. Will probably switch up to synthetic shortly.

Josh

spydee66
05-13-2012, 10:26 AM
I agree with Dan just let out on the clutch and get going. Thats why i mentioned the juicebox cause the RT is running less HP and More Weight but it's geared lower than the RS. Remember the rev is not gonna hurt it, they have snow mobile engines in them that are use to be driven like crazy. Ur not gonna hurt it, these engines are extremely tough and durable. Your better to rev the engine than ride on that sweet clutch like Dan said.

teadave
05-13-2012, 02:29 PM
spydee66: Not snowmobile engines, but motorcycle engines. right out of Italian superbikes made by Aprilia.

Camdenlake
05-13-2012, 03:14 PM
How does a juice box effect warranty? I have a ton of it till 2016 so dont want to mess that up. I know on my new truck its a big no no.

Josh

Dudley
05-13-2012, 03:23 PM
We had a 2008 GS SE5 with the cable throttle so I didn't have that problem at that time. The "fly by wire" on the RT makes it a very sensitive operation. It took me several take offs to get the clutch/throttle operation in sync. I have often wondered how anyone can really accelerate on 1st gear take off. I will kill my RT, 100% of the time, guaranteed. I guess, with good practice will come good results.

Firefly
05-13-2012, 03:41 PM
You won't hurt the clutch.... I can't tell you how many times I crank her to 5,000 rpm and dump the clutch for burnouts..... 50,000 miles... no worries..... ;)

The RT clutch is fly-by-wire too? wow.. didn't know that.// thought just the throttle was.

MidLifeCrisis
05-13-2012, 04:18 PM
spydee66: Not snowmobile engines, but motorcycle engines. right out of Italian superbikes made by Aprilia.

The aprilia has a snowmobile engine? How cool is that?;)

MidLifeCrisis
05-13-2012, 04:22 PM
I thought wet clutches were designed to be slipped!!?? The spyder has a wet clutch system, so it should handle that kind of use all day long. Do the same on a car and you'll be replacing them all the time...

NancysToy
05-13-2012, 04:40 PM
I can take off at idle if I want to, or raise the rpm for a quick start. I have even started once in a while without stalling in second and even in third gear (by accident). It's all in how you use the clutch. I have not harmed one on any of our Spyders. You'll get the feel for it in time.

Camdenlake
05-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks all feel much better :). The clutch does have some unique properties. It seems to have some sort of power assist i just happened to have my hand on the clutch when i shut it off near riped it out of my hand. Another cool feature of the Spyder. Nice for being stuck in traffic with a light pull.

Thanks
Josh

PS Only new to spyders been riding 2 wheels for year traded my FJR for the spyder.

NancysToy
05-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks all feel much better :). The clutch does have some unique properties. It seems to have some sort of power assist i just happened to have my hand on the clutch when i shut it off near riped it out of my hand. Another cool feature of the Spyder. Nice for being stuck in traffic with a light pull.

Thanks
Josh

PS I only new to spyders been riding 2 wheels for year traded my FJR for the spyder.
The Spyder clutch is vacuum assisted.