PDA

View Full Version : Open country and I'm lovin' it..

murphybrown
05-12-2012, 04:15 PM
New York City and Boston are behind me I am now in Nova Scotia.. yesterday traveled the Bar Harbor and Acadia national Park area.. also Fort Knox.. Arcadia national Park in my opinion is a must see!!
Rogerb gave me great directions to get to Nova Scotia arrive midafternoon got the laundry done settled in maps are out exploring starts tomorrow.. so much to see where do I start? :yes::yes:

Mspiv
05-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Followed you thru Maine, new Brunswick and into Truro. I am sure you are smiling like crazy.

Hey do they have Starbucks in N.B. OR NOva Soctia?

murphybrown
05-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Followed you thru Maine, new Brunswick and into Truro. I am sure you are smiling like crazy.

Hey do they have Starbucks in N.B. OR NOva Soctia?
Ha ha ha ha ha. Nope no Starbucks. But McDonald's cappuccinos are OK.. how is Carolyn coming on packing for her first big trip on Ms Lava?

DynamoBT
05-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Wow! You are racking up the miles!!! I agree that Acadia National Park is a gem! I have driven the carriage road when I still had my horse. We camped right at the stables (only allowed if you are boarding a horse). The carriage roads are truly astounding!!! All the bridges individually designed and hand built.

Enjoy Nova Scotia. It's been a few years since we've been up there. Sorry I missed you as you zipped through NH. We had family obligations that took us out of state for the day. Or else, I would have driven out to meet you somewhere as you passed through, rain or no rain.

Safe travels!!!

rogerb
05-12-2012, 05:39 PM
No Starbucks but have Tim Hortons. Sourdough donuts. Enjoy that province, they have a lot to offer and are proud of it. Too late now but wish I had followed you.

Chazzman
05-13-2012, 07:15 AM
You're my 'Hero' Murphy...

J. Mark
05-13-2012, 07:18 AM
You continue to inspire us dear sister!!!!!!!!!!!

NitroCircus Spyder
05-13-2012, 07:31 AM
New York City and Boston are behind me I am now in Nova Scotia.. yesterday traveled the Bar Harbor and Acadia national Park area.. also Fort Knox.. Arcadia national Park in my opinion is a must see!!
Rogerb gave me great directions to get to Nova Scotia arrive midafternoon got the laundry done settled in maps are out exploring starts tomorrow.. so much to see where do I start? :yes::yes:

Hi Murphybrown,

Wow, it sounds like your having a trip of a lifetime. Thanks for keeping us posted on your adventures. Will you be on the road until Durango? I look forward to meeting you. Enjoy and have a wonderful time.:)

Mspiv
05-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Ha ha ha ha ha. Nope no Starbucks. But McDonald's cappuccinos are OK.. how is Carolyn coming on packing for her first big trip on Ms Lava?
I thinks she is doing great, below is what she thinks..

Hi, Murph.....So far it seems to be going just fine...I'm actually ahead of schedule. I may make a couple of incidental changes, but, in the grand scheme of things, it's looking pretty good. Ask me again when we get back and I've had a chance to see what I forgot or thought I wouldn't need...Safe travels!

spyderrock
05-13-2012, 09:56 AM
No Starbucks but have Tim Hortons. Sourdough donuts. Enjoy that province, they have a lot to offer and are proud of it. Too late now but wish I had followed you.

Murphy no no don't do it :lecturef_smilie:...Tim Hortons is no Starbucks the only reason most Canadians like that coffee is because they use 34% coffee cream yes I said 34% that's more cream than what a milk cow has in her:roflblack::roflblack:. I don't drink timmies as it is called here in Canada I love my Americano from Starbucks the best coffee really. Good luck on your trip and im sure there must be some specialty coffee shops there I live way way out west far from there so not sure what they have sorry.

Bob Denman
05-13-2012, 09:58 AM
You continue to inspire us dear sister!!!!!!!!!!!

:agree:
:clap::thumbup: Keep the reports coming!

Mspiv
05-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Just checked her SPOT and suspect she has her toes in the bay of Fundy.

I bet those are gonna be frozen piggies and the won't be going to market.

murphybrown
05-14-2012, 05:30 AM
Yesterday was spent driving through and visiting Halifax and Bay of Fundy...this part of Nova Scotia is very much a milder climate....lots of orchards and vineyards...as a retired WA orchardist it was fascinating to compare how the NS orchardists operate...huge difference...for us larger amount of acerage with harvest being marketed thru a co-op. Here small (ave that I talked to is around 2-5 acres)...with fruit marketed thru owner fruit stands or u-pick...management of trees a huge difference...old old varieties (gravenstein and macintosh were mainly with farmers I spoke with)..they mentioned that some of their neighbors were trying Honeycrisp....
several other areas that got NICE scores from me was Bay of Fundy....wow 50 ft tide changes...as I traveled the backroads I saw how far inland this tidal change has an impact...amazing...also the rolling hills..total pastoral scenes...most country dwellers burn wood for heat...so enjoyed curling smoke and wonderful smoke smell...
Plus everwhere folks but their discards on road...an it's free..you want? it is yours...OMG in my area that would get you a visit from the Sheriff's office..48 hrs to clean up that a mess or a big fine...etc etc etc
Today is pretty much a slooooow lay low day...will work my way toward Cabot trail area..which I will start exploring tomorrow....
Everyone have a great day..

murphybrown
05-14-2012, 06:00 AM
Hi Murphybrown,

Wow, it sounds like your having a trip of a lifetime. Thanks for keeping us posted on your adventures. Will you be on the road until Durango? I look forward to meeting you. Enjoy and have a wonderful time.:)
GM..to answer your ?...plan on getting back home around end of month...squeeze on those kids & grandkids...try my own bed on to see if it still fits...see if the Starbucks folks still remember me!!!!....and sort thru a box of mail (95% will get left at PO recycle bin!!)...and then get ready for next round of :spyder2:ing!!:yes:

murphybrown
05-14-2012, 06:07 AM
Murphy no no don't do it :lecturef_smilie:...Tim Hortons is no Starbucks the only reason most Canadians like that coffee is because they use 34% coffee cream yes I said 34% that's more cream than what a milk cow has in her:roflblack::roflblack:. I don't drink timmies as it is called here in Canada I love my Americano from Starbucks the best coffee really. Good luck on your trip and im sure there must be some specialty coffee shops there I live way way out west far from there so not sure what they have sorry.
34% cream...holy crap Jersey and Guernseys only naturally give around 16% butterfat...phew hadnt gone there yet (Tim Hortons) and dont think I will...if I had one of their drinks then jumped on Ms Spyder a few miles down the road I would have been shaken enough to turn into a cube of butter!!!! :(:roflblack:...that must be how it works...get a Horton drink..shake around a little..stop at little stand for fresh cooked lobster to dip in newly made butter!!!!!:yikes:

sealfloorboards
05-14-2012, 08:24 AM
Hey Karyl,

The adventure just keeps unfolding. I've been thinking about my own Great Adventure. Turned 6,000 mi. yesterday, since leaving Or. on April 15th. We're about the same age and I've come to he conclusion that in any adventure we embark upon, the act of convincing ourselves that we can do it, it's Ok, we are not too old, what will others say, or any of our other fears we might have are far more difficult to overcome than the adventure itself. The point.........just do it!

Love ya girl:bowdown:,

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

ARtraveler
05-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Sounds like you are having a great trip. I did that area in 1997 and really liked it. Are you going to go East to Cape Breton area? I did not get there. Peggy's Cove is also a beautiful town.