PDA

View Full Version : Custom Dynaics HMT brake light installation

Boyd2010RT
05-12-2012, 11:18 AM
I am installing the Custom Dynamics HMT brake light this morning - all went reasonably well until I tried to insert the plastic "fishing tape" up through the hole for the wires and antenna above the right side tail light assembly - I have fished for over a half hour and easily get the "tape" to go up into the hole as far as needed, but it never appears in the cavity below the right side hinge, it feels like it is hitting something and then just curling up somewhere in there - anyone have similar problems? - any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Boyd http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.png

eddieshep999
05-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Ref trying to insert the plastic "fishing tape" fish the up through the hole for the wires and antenna above the right side tail light assembly

Have you tried from the top down - The Rear lights are easy to remove and this may make it easier to see where its catching

Hope you get it sorted as the HMT Brake light is well worth the effort

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

Boyd2010RT
05-12-2012, 12:39 PM
I don't think that you would ever be able to "stab" the hole at the bottom from above

- I got it done by loosening the panel to which the radio antenna is attached (two screws outside and two inside the rear "trunk"). I was able to pry the panel away enough to see and catch the "fishing tape" - after that, the rest was a piece of cake - And I only had one screw left over!

BTW - I took the advice of someone on this subject from a previous thread and removed the right side tail light - That made this job easier, but I could see that it could have been done easily enough without doing that.

The only other issue was that I didn't get the light mounted properly before it wouldn't move (which was almost instantly) - the light is away from the vertical part of the trunk on the right side just a bit - I don't think that the wire was the problem, but it could be. Seems that maybe a different mounting method would be better - what would one do if the light needs to be replaced (nothing lasts forever)????

Boyd

NorthStar
05-12-2012, 04:23 PM
The only other issue was that I didn't get the light mounted properly before it wouldn't move (which was almost instantly) - the light is away from the vertical part of the trunk on the right side just a bit - I don't think that the wire was the problem, but it could be. Seems that maybe a different mounting method would be better - what would one do if the light needs to be replaced (nothing lasts forever)????

I have removed items firmly secured together with double sided tape using low heat and gradually prying the two bonded items apart. Once the heat breaks down the glue bond the two items separate relatively easy. Just a thought.

gelaw
05-20-2012, 08:41 PM
I think it is easiest to simply remove the right rear panel with the antenna. Remove the three screws in the top trunk, and the entire assembly comes off. Then you can easily see how to route the wires. Run the wire down the same path as the antenna wire. Coil and stow excess wire behind the tail light assembly. Make sure you leave enough play in the wire to open and close the top truck.

You only need to remove the tail light if you cannot find the tail light plug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk