PDA

View Full Version : Helmets.... what do you run and why do you like it?

ARCTIC
05-12-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm sure there's all sorts of opinions on this and I'm not trying to stir up a war but I'm looking to get a helmet (even though the law says I don't need one). I want full face and probably just a black helmet. There's several brands out there Bell, AGV, HJC and many others. What do you guys recommend?

flamingobabe
05-12-2012, 11:12 AM
I had a black helmet for 20 years...all HJC's 3/4 mostly with shield but 2 years ago when I purchased my silver Spyder...I purchased a silver modular HJC...I love it....it is so much cooler than the black...it's lighter...I enjoy being able to ride with the modular face shield back and just use the slide down sun block small shield....I wear glasses...so this works well for me...if it rains or is cold I pull the face shield down...hope this helps.....HJC - XS has always worked for me

Bob Denman
05-12-2012, 11:36 AM
:agree: HJC modulars a great for those of us blessed with eyeglass wear. I'm currently using a Fuel modular; once it needs replacement I'll ask for an HJC to be under the Christmas Tree again.
What?? :shocked: I have to behave if I expect to see anything under the Tree? Awww Crap! :gaah:

Arr MiHardies
05-12-2012, 11:39 AM
I have a bell revolver full face modular helmet that I really like, though it tends to put pressure on the top of my head after a while. But as it heats up, I find I prefer to use my Scorpio EXO-100 half helmet to maximize airflow. Would like to check out the Shark evoline3 modular helmet, but the only one I have ever seen was a small, and I have a big head ( no jokes now.... ;) )

Dragonrider
05-12-2012, 12:09 PM
I have a Scorpion 1/2 - has "ear muffs" that zip on/off, so I can take them off on the 4 days it's warm enough… and it has a pop down shade for eye protection.

That's really all you need on a Spyder - I have yet to find any other hat I can wear more than a hour without getting a headache from the forehead pressure, and I think full face hats limit road vision and situation awareness… and some folks like exhausts you can hear too…. ;)

NancysToy
05-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Your first consideration should be proper fit. Most people wear a helmet that is too big. Some because it is easier to get on and off, some because a larger size keeps the wrong shape helmet from putting pressure in the wrong place, and some because they don't know what a properly fitting helmet feels like. The first thing to do is to measure your head, then try the helmet that is recommended for that size. I recommend removing the cheek pads at first (if possible) to get the feel for the fit on the head. The helmet should fit snugly all around, with even pressure all over. If it has a tight spot, or makes a red mark, it is the wrong helmet. That usually means it is time to switch brands or models, not sizes. Install the cheek pads and fasten the helmet. Cheek pads on some helmets can be exchanged for another size if they are too tight or too loose. Check to see that it can't be "tipped" off, and if it moves your skin moves. The helmet should not be able to swivel on your head. Wear the fastened helmet around the store for 15-30 minutes. Don't worry about how it looks, just how it feels. If any pressure points or hot spots develop, you need a different helmet. Different helmets are different shapes, and Arai makes models in a variety of shapes if need be. A helmet that fits can save your life, while a poor fitting helmet can actually endanger you. Worry about the fit first, and the style, color, venting, and other features secondarily.

vampyregirl
05-12-2012, 02:01 PM
I have 2 HJC model CL-SP helmets. One is plain black, the other is matte black with silver/gray/white/pink barbed wire on it. Both are full-face. I love them!! Keeps those pesky June bugs away!!!

ARtraveler
05-12-2012, 02:07 PM
I am a fan of Nolan helmets. Have an N-102, two N-103, and two N-43. They have now come out with the N-104 which is supposed to be lighter in weight.

I like the fit, the styling, the inside sunglasse shade, and the fact that the full-face helmets open up in the front for ease in putting on and taking off.

Color selection is also pretty good. Reasonable in price. $169ish for the N-43 style and usually less than $300 for the N-100 series. I believe the new N-104 is a bit over $300.

Chazzman
05-12-2012, 03:51 PM
I have owned a lot of helmets over the past 40 years. I have Arai XC Ram 3/4 helmets for my wife and I; unequivocally without hesitation they are most comfortable, well ventilated, versatile helmets that I have ever owned. I also have Shoei RF 1100 in a full face version that I prefer over all other full face helmets...

Sarge707
05-12-2012, 05:13 PM
I have a Silver 3/4 HJC IS33 (Jul 2009), VOX Yellow 3/4 (DEC 2010), G-Max 67 3/4 White (Dec 2011) and a AGV 3/4 Red/White I wear on extremely HOT days as its higher in the back of the neck. Also a G Max GM 44 White Modular for winter .
I post the dates because the Helmet has a shelf life- Even if you just bought it it could be 3-4 years old depending on the model.
Check under the padding to see the born on date before purchasing (If Possible?)nojoke

Chazzman
05-13-2012, 06:58 AM
I have a Silver 3/4 HJC IS33 (Jul 2009), VOX Yellow 3/4 (DEC 2010), G-Max 67 3/4 White (Dec 2011) and a AGV 3/4 Red/White I wear on extremely HOT days as its higher in the back of the neck. Also a G Max GM 44 White Modular for winter .
I post the dates because the Helmet has a shelf life- Even if you just bought it it could be 3-4 years old depending on the model.
Check under the padding to see the born on date before purchasing (If Possible?)nojoke

Good point on the dates, the same applies to tires... 5 years and helmets need replacing, be careful not to purchase a 4 year old helmet, that's where the deals are.

arntufun
05-13-2012, 07:07 AM
A $40.00 helmet is for a $40.00 head !!!! :roflblack: (old thread joke)

Dwanton
05-13-2012, 07:14 AM
I never heard of a born on date for helmets ?

What would make the helmet go bad ? The cushioning is good , the shell has no cracks and it still fits snug like it is meant to .

I have the same shoei RF-800 for 20 years now and it's great , I love it . I have painted it twice to match the bikes I have traded. And I just sanded it down again so I can match it to the spyder.

I have been looking for a new full face this week and can't believe that the new shoei's are almost $900 .

I was looking at at a few that we're older - like the RF-1100 - but now I have to pay attention to a born on date ? Oh boy ! That's upsetting because I am not paying 700 to 900 on a full face helmet .

J. Mark
05-13-2012, 07:23 AM
We really like the fit and feel of the Arai helmet. As Scotty said above....the cheek pads may need some work....mine we too tight but my wife's were just right. I would highly recommend them. Your dealer can measure your head form theses as well to ensure the best fit.

Chazzman
05-13-2012, 07:45 AM
The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy. This information is straight from Snell...

The technology in a 20 year old helmet verses the new helmets are a huge difference. If I had a 20 year old helmet it would be thrown in the trash and a new one purchased right away with a recent production date.

We pay 10 to 30K for a bike or Spyder, spend thousands on accessories, and buy a $100 helmet...

There have been times that I have worn a half helmet that cost less than a hundred dollars but this is just not wise... I try and stick with my Arai or Shoei not to say that other brands are not great helmets. The Arai and Shoei provide great comfort for me and have great prove results on the race track at 180MPH.

Bob Denman
05-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Whatever it is that you use; the fact that you're using it is a great start! :thumbup:

NancysToy
05-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Actually, many manufacturers recommend helmet replacement five years from first use, or seven years from date of manufacture, whichever comes first. That is what Arai recommends, and that is what I go by. As was said, padding breaks down and the shell can suffer minor dings (replace immediately if it suffers a major wound). Resins and foam inner shell materials are better than they used to be, and an outdated modern helmet is probably better than a brand new helmet was 40 years ago, but there has been no testing done on aged helmets, so their ability to protect is uncertain. The prudent thing to do is to replace them periodically. It is much harder to replace your head if your ancient helmet doesn't work.

spyder3
05-13-2012, 08:16 AM
We use the Schuberth C3 modular helmet. Made very well and great features including the SRC system which replaces the OEM collar for bluetooth bike to bike communications, FM radio, GPS & phone.

Def. have to try it on, i had some early issues with a hotspot that have been resolved. Pinlock visor, anti roll off system, sun shield which is great. All padding is easily removed for washing or replacing.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-c3-hi-viz-helmet

spydee66
05-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Bell full face......I need to get me some quick disconnects though. Getting tired of running the straps through holes everytime.:doorag:

Lamonster
05-13-2012, 08:27 AM
I won't say I've tried them all but I've tried a bunch of them and HJC fit me best and I've had flip, full, 3/4 HJC's and they all work well for me. Head shape is a BIG factor. I have a football shaped head and some helmets put too much pressure on my forehead and I can't wear them even though I really like the helmet. Make sure it fits right before you buy a helmet.

http://www.everything-motorcycle.com/images/Head_Shape_Comparo.gif

Derek Paisley
05-13-2012, 08:33 AM
I have the Nolan N103 outlaw modular. Love it!
It's heavier then past helmets, but I love the modular aspect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wanderer
05-13-2012, 08:38 AM
We have the Schubreth c3s. My wife rarely rides so only I have the headset. It is great because my IPod bluetooths with it so since I was a cheap bas###d and have no radio or comm package I now have music and phone in my helmet.

My head is strangely shaped......flat in the back with "points" on either side near the top rear....maybe immature horns:roflblack::roflblack: Anyway, most helmets don't fit well...these are ok.

Greg

docdoru
05-13-2012, 08:56 AM
EXO-900 Solid TransFormerHelmet®: AirFit® helmet pump air inflation system for a custom fit; cheek pad and neck roll adjustment system for improved fit and wind noise reduction; adjustable front and rear vents for maximum airflow; KwikWick® moisture-wicking breathable helmet liner and cheek pads; EverClear® No-Fog Faceshield and Retractable SpeedView® Sun Visor; optically-correct clear shield with state-of-the art fog free technology on both sides; anti-scratch hardened coating; internal sun visor changes positions with the simple flip of a switch; both Face shield and SpeedView® sun visor are toolless removal and install for cleaning or replacement; full face helmet, a flip front modular, and a 3/4 helmet a true 3-in-1! Quickly convert your EXO-900 from a full face helmet to an open face 3/4 helmet, the peak sun visor is included!

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/img_5585.jpg?t=1322748361

Dwanton
05-13-2012, 10:21 AM
EXO-900 Solid TransFormerHelmet®: AirFit® helmet pump air inflation system for a custom fit; cheek pad and neck roll adjustment system for improved fit and wind noise reduction; adjustable front and rear vents for maximum airflow; KwikWick® moisture-wicking breathable helmet liner and cheek pads; EverClear® No-Fog Faceshield and Retractable SpeedView® Sun Visor; optically-correct clear shield with state-of-the art fog free technology on both sides; anti-scratch hardened coating; internal sun visor changes positions with the simple flip of a switch; both Face shield and SpeedView® sun visor are toolless removal and install for cleaning or replacement; full face helmet, a flip front modular, and a 3/4 helmet a true 3-in-1! Quickly convert your EXO-900 from a full face helmet to an open face 3/4 helmet, the peak sun visor is included!

Thats a dam fancy helmet - I like it - gonna read up on it more and see if they make it in flat black .

And you spyder is nicely set up :thumbup:

M109Dreamer
05-13-2012, 10:27 AM
I have the Shark modular and love it. Check then out. I also like that they are also SNELL rated as well.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Macca
05-13-2012, 10:37 AM

Full of features I agree with, the wife and I wore ours on our first long trip to Spyderfest while there the finish around the vents started to peel and flake off. Needless to say we were very disappointed in the quality of the Scorpions. We never use any harsh cleaner on our helmets. Not sure what caused this.

bone crusher
05-13-2012, 10:03 PM
I never heard of a born on date for helmets ?

What would make the helmet go bad ? The cushioning is good , the shell has no cracks and it still fits snug like it is meant to .

I have the same shoei RF-800 for 20 years now and it's great , I love it . I have painted it twice to match the bikes I have traded. And I just sanded it down again so I can match it to the spyder.

I have been looking for a new full face this week and can't believe that the new shoei's are almost $900 .

I was looking at at a few that we're older - like the RF-1100 - but now I have to pay attention to a born on date ? Oh boy ! That's upsetting because I am not paying 700 to 900 on a full face helmet .

All foam breaks down...you can't see it though...just like your sneakers...with shoes, it's 600 miles or 6 months...then you're losing a lot of support...

Same with the helmet...get a new one every 5 years keeps you safer...