PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ridge Parkway vs Skyline Drive

ArkTerry
05-11-2012, 10:23 PM
My father and I are taking a 10-12 day trip on our Spyders in mid June and basically plan (after first day or two around Chattanoga, Cherohala Skyway, The Dragon, etc..) that the main direction of our trip will be up the Blue Ridge Parkway from its end in TN to its beginning in VA, taking several days to work our way along this entire length, doing many small side trips to certain sites along the way.

My question is about what to do at the end of the BRP. I was thinking of continuing on up the Skyline and riding all of it, but am wondering if after the several days on the BRP, will the Skyline feel like more of the same, something worse or something better? Trying to decide whether to continue up it and maybe on up to Harpers Ferry, WV, before heading back southwest on homeward leg, or if it is not going to be as spectacular after the many nice days on BRP, then maybe just take more time along BRP and explore more side trips, etc..

We enjoy mainly: Mountain scenic overlook views, waterfalls, bridges, dams, etc.. Not big on highly populated areas/attractions really.

Would appreicate any thoughts, experiences, etc...

NancysToy
05-11-2012, 10:33 PM
We did both, from south to north last year coming home from Maggie Valley, and enjoyed every mile! Skyline is a bit more relaxed and has a little gentler scenery, but it is every bit as nice. Slower going, with it's 35 mph speed limit, compared to 45 on the BRP. Combine that with the great sweepers throughout, and it is relaxing and enjoyable. If you are searching for thrills, I'd look elsewhere, but for a laid-back, relaxing ride, it is super. Neither ride has much in the way of civilization. I think you will be pleased in that regard. Here's a favorite pic from Skyline Drive.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28610&d=1309139279

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Scotty, OMG....DROOL, DROOL, DROOL......Mike.....:thumbup:

Grandpa Spyder
05-12-2012, 05:34 AM
Thanks Scotty, The wife and I plan on doing that trip this summer starting at Front Royal VA, going south.

johnnyg
05-12-2012, 06:07 AM
We did both, from south to north last year coming home from Maggie Valley, and enjoyed every mile! Skyline is a bit more relaxed and has a little gentler scenery, but it is every bit as nice. Slower going, with it's 35 mph speed limit, compared to 45 on the BRP. Combine that with the great sweepers throughout, and it is relaxing and enjoyable. If you are searching for thrills, I'd look elsewhere, but for a laid-back, relaxing ride, it is super. Neither ride has much in the way of civilization. I think you will be pleased in that regard. Here's a favorite pic from Skyline Drive.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28610&d=1309139279
We agree with Scotty, we have riden the BRP and Skyline a few times in both directions,just remember what you see going north looks entirely dirfferent coming south.

NancysToy
05-12-2012, 06:49 AM
BTW, the southern end of the BRP is in Cherokee, NC, not in Tennessee.

rogerb
05-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Winslow and myself did that ride on our way home from Spyderfest. Scotty was right. The BRP is beautiful and the roads are smooth and well kept. It does get a little rough in the 30 miles in the Virginia end of it but not to worry. There was one area in Virginia where we had to take a detour but they said that would be done by the 16th of this month. There is a $10 fee for the Skyway. The speed limit is 35 MPH and a letdown after 45 MPH on Parkway. Also more heavily patrolled. Our biggest problem was bicycles. Many have the tendency of riding the middle of the lane. Traffic was light but I'm sure it will get worse as the weather warms up. :thumbup:

ArkTerry
05-12-2012, 07:39 AM
BTW, the southern end of the BRP is in Cherokee, NC, not in Tennessee.LOL, yeah I always keep thinking TN since last summer I checked out the Cherokee area while staying in Gatlinburg. I keep forgetting that you cross state line going over the Mountain gap there from Gatlinburg to Cheorkee.

ArkTerry
05-12-2012, 07:41 AM
For the Skyline part, driving 35mph and stopping at many of the better pull off views, etc...would say 6 hours time allotment be enough to have on my schedule?

NancysToy
05-12-2012, 08:05 AM
For the Skyline part, driving 35mph and stopping at many of the better pull off views, etc...would say 6 hours time allotment be enough to have on my schedule?
We did it in about half a day, as I recall. About 100 miles at 25-30 mpg average, including stops to look around or take a break. Six hours should be plenty. Not as many overlooks as on the BRP.

Bob Denman
05-12-2012, 08:43 AM
:shocked:
I agree with Mike! Too much drooling going on here to type anything wothwhile! :2thumbs:
Oh! :opps: I rarely type anything noteworthy anyway! :roflblack:

If I was looking at a trip on roads like that; I'd dial in some extra time so as not to miss ANY of them! :thumbup:

johnwinslow
05-12-2012, 09:02 AM
a stop for Pure One 93 octane nonethanol fuel, in Fancy Gap will make you and your Spyder happy

Peoriafirefighter
05-12-2012, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE=ArkTerry;452773]My father and I are taking a 10-12 day trip on our Spyders in mid June and basically plan (after first day or two around Chattanoga, Cherohala Skyway, The Dragon, etc..) that the main direction of our trip will be up the Blue Ridge Parkway from its end in TN to its beginning in VA, taking several days to work our way along this entire length, doing many small side trips to certain sites along the way.

My question is about what to do at the end of the BRP. I was thinking of continuing on up the Skyline and riding all of it, but am wondering if after the several days on the BRP, will the Skyline feel like more of the same, something worse or something better? Trying to decide whether to continue up it and maybe on up to Harpers Ferry, WV, before heading back southwest on homeward leg, or if it is not going to be as spectacular after the many nice days on BRP, then maybe just take more time along BRP and explore more side trips, etc..

We enjoy mainly: Mountain scenic overlook views, waterfalls, bridges, dams, etc.. Not big on highly populated areas/attractions really.

Would appreicate any thoughts, experiences, etc...

I've rode it several times, but if you have a limited time and want some beautiful riding, be sure and ride to the Highlands. it is beautiful and has a couple of waterfalls. I would also get some suggestions from Lamont as he knows some great scenic rides.:thumbup:

Racer21NJ
05-12-2012, 12:01 PM
That will be our first trip when we get ours. BRP & SLD are perfect.

FrankPa
05-14-2012, 06:12 PM

Plus my Avatar (at least for now...)