PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Fluctuation on Gauge

Hawk
05-11-2012, 02:08 PM
I got the oil and volt gauges installed at Spyderfest. I have noticed that sometime the oil pressure is low when it idles, not too low mind you. But it is in the lower numbers on the left, when I gas it or start to drive it goes to around the middle. Then other times it is in the middle at idle and goes to about 3/4 way under load. It may be in the mornings, not sure. Could it be because the oil has not warmed up yet or do you think its a gauge issue?

Hobstopper
05-11-2012, 02:30 PM
On mine, not from Cowtown, I see around 60psi cold idle, 20 - 30 warm/hot idle, 60ish rural highway, 70ish interstate speeds.

Hawk
05-11-2012, 02:40 PM
On mine, not from Cowtown, I see around 60psi cold idle, 20 - 30 warm/hot idle, 60ish rural highway, 70ish interstate speeds.

That must be it then (engine cold vs hot), which makes a little sense (which I have none). Thanks!!!

scooterexpress
05-11-2012, 02:59 PM
mine has gone to about 10psi at hot idle even saw it go to 5psi acouple of times at hot all depends on the engine idle i think and have one to 60 at high speed so theres a lg flucuation with the oil pressures so the key question would be what number is to low at idle when fully hot? anyone??

RAYYOU
06-10-2012, 07:31 PM
I installed my oil pressure and volt gauges yesterday and I noticed at hot idle the oil pressure drops to as low as 7 psi at times. This seems low, is this normal?

TuckMiddle
06-11-2012, 08:00 AM
I replaced the original analog with digital gauges. Voltmeter normally 13.8. I replaced it under warranty due to two digital lines becaming inop. Reads 13.8 normally, but on occasion 14.0
The oil pressure can go real low at idle with high OAT and been working it some. Mine hasn't gone below 10. At 7.0 it starts to flash on shutdown. Normal cold start is 45 or more and normal idle in the 20s. 5,000 is right at 70, which it normal. Normal at 9,000 in first gear is unknown, as I don't do stupid stuff intentionally - not that it couldn't happen.:yikes:
My gauges are supposed to be self adjusting to low intensity when it get sorta dark. Had to put in a switch for that. Otherwise, they have been fine. Cyberdyne gauges from Summit Racing. Each has 4 or 5 different colored lens for your selection.
Tuck

NancysToy
06-11-2012, 08:29 AM
I installed my oil pressure and volt gauges yesterday and I noticed at hot idle the oil pressure drops to as low as 7 psi at times. This seems low, is this normal?
Unless there is a published specification, "normal" oil pressure is whatever an engine in good condition produces. Oil pressure specifications are normally given at "hot idle" or at a specific rpm with the engine "at full operation temperature". An owner who installs a gauge in a vehicle without specs needs to read it for a while and establish what is "normal", then watch down the road for changes. The worry over the actual readings is why most vehicle with gauges now show no numbers, just divisions and a needle...with maybe a red warning area. Too few owners understand the actual numbers and what they mean.

TuckMiddle
06-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Scotty

You are correct and BRP has the pressures for idle and 5,000 in the mx manual. Obviously, a slight diff in gauges may be present.

1400 5000

Min 10 51

Normal 22 61

Max 44 80

Thanks

Tuck

Silverlightnin
06-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Just installed my equass guages my friend who is an auto mech. explained to me because our bikes are 2 strokes that we would see this more than u would see in an automobile. Mine at idle runs 25 to 30, n at 5500rpm close to 75. can am oil pumps out about 80lbs pressure.With our bikes we will see that kind of fluctuation. hope that makes sense to you.

SILVERLIGHTNIN

NancysToy
06-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Just installed my equass guages my friend who is an auto mech. explained to me because our bikes are 2 strokes that we would see this more than u would see in an automobile. Mine at idle runs 25 to 30, n at 5500rpm close to 75. can am oil pumps out about 80lbs pressure.With our bikes we will see that kind of fluctuation. hope that makes sense to you.

SILVERLIGHTNIN
:dontknow: :hun: The Spyder is a 4-stroke. If you mean because it is a 2-cylinder...that really has nothing to do with the oil pressure.

boborgera
06-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Sometimes too much information is over kill, Like an oil pressure gauge.nojoke

Most will notice the oil light going on long before they notice the oil gauge dropping to zero.

When your low gas light pops on it gets your attention real quick doesn't it. :shocked:

RAYYOU
06-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks guys. I think I'll just watch it for a while and see if it drops anymore. Bike runs fine,
preasure just looked low to me. Under a load it runs around 65 psi. Probably would have never
noticed it without a gauge.