PDA

View Full Version : What size trailer should a RT or RT use????

nyfdtsdemt
05-11-2012, 12:43 PM
I am going to get my RTS this week!

I sold my 6*10 enclosed trailer because the RS i had was a perfect fit at 59 inches in a 62 inch opening

BUT the RTS and RT are 62 inches even ............... not gonna fit with out damage???

any sugestions on what size open or closed other folkes are using

going to look at a CHARIOT 8*12 this weekend all fiberglass

any one have any reviews on them ?????

Opinions welcomed!

NancysToy
05-11-2012, 12:47 PM
My first thought is that if you were comfortable with 3" total clearance before, you should look for at least that much with the RT. Any more than that is just gravy.

Y Rider
05-11-2012, 02:06 PM
I have a 7 x 12 Haulmark enclosed trailer and our RT Limited fits perfect. :thumbup: 6' wide won't work but an 8' would give you a little more room between the walls and wheels.

Jeriatric
05-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Here's one I'm looking at. Would like to have enclosed but live in a community that does not allow trailers outside, and I don't want to pay monthly storage fee's just to have a trailer. So, this one fits the bill, it folds up, has roll-away mini wheels, once it's folded, and won't chew up to much space on the Spyders side of the garage. Or, with a little modification (for rolling it skinny side first instead of wide as it's currently set-up) it could be wheeled down the sidewalk on the side of my house and kept in the side yard without bringing any attention to it.

The trailer
http://www.droptailtrailers.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=03%2DSST2200%2D02

Page 13 shows how they look folded, as well as a better understanding of what I mean by mini wheels.
http://www.droptailtrailers.com/v/vspfiles/2012-manuals/2012-Models-DT-TRAILER-Manual-RevC.pdf

FWIW

Bob Denman
05-12-2012, 07:00 AM
I'd say that the party starts with a 7'x12' trailer... That would give you some elbow room around your RTS and allow you some leeway when strapping it down for the best possible weight distribution. Tandem axles on the trailer would be preferable, but not necessarity a "must-have". (But I'd sure want them!)
I hope that you realize that we're gonna need to see some pictures of your new pride and joy... :2thumbs:
Good Luck and Happy Shopping! :thumbup:

Dragonrider
05-12-2012, 07:41 AM
I have an 8x12 single axel w/brakes, E-traks, & 6.5' tall $ it's perfect. remember it has a 46 sf frontal area - make sure your rig can tow it.

dancogan
05-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Here's the trailer I use: http://www.fthr.com/flatbed-commercial-utility-trailers/model1693-flatbed-trailer/. Featherlite makes a high quality trailer. This one has a 6'6" bed which fits the Spyder RT perfectly without being overly wide. To avoid digging the Spyder's nose into the ramp I use some plastic leveling blocks in front of the ramp and the wheels ride up that without a problem. It's aluminum, which keeps it relatively light at 675# and very easy to roll around on paved surfaces.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and don't forget to post some pictures.

rhansen309
05-12-2012, 08:28 AM
I have an interstate 8x10. I had to add some 2x6 to the ramp to raise the wheels so the bike will not hit bottom when I take it off. Works great. It is light enough to move around without the bike. I like it.

Schnauzer
05-12-2012, 08:43 AM
I sold my 34 Motorhome 2 years ago when it cost more to travel down the road than it cost to eat. I decided not to sell the Car-Dolly along with it. After that I could not for the life of me wonder what it would be good for other than a BBQ trailer. "BUT" now thanks to your link, I'll have a good use. Just hope I never have to use it to haul the Spyder, but just in case...Thanks again!!!

Jeriatric
05-12-2012, 10:18 AM
I sold my 34 Motorhome 2 years ago when it cost more to travel down the road than it cost to eat. I decided not to sell the Car-Dolly along with it. After that I could not for the life of me wonder what it would be good for other than a BBQ trailer. "BUT" now thanks to your link, I'll have a good use. Just hope I never have to use it to haul the Spyder, but just in case...Thanks again!!!

WARNING Do not tow the Spyder
roadster — towing can seriouslydamage the vehicle drive system.

That said. With a little thought, bet the car-dolly could be modified to do the job.

tajohn
05-12-2012, 01:31 PM
We have owned our Droptail for over a year (to haul the RS). We also have a space issue,the Droptail is the answer........fold it up --stand it up and roll it out of the way!!!!!

Jeriatric
05-12-2012, 04:18 PM
We have owned our Droptail for over a year (to haul the RS). We also have a space issue,the Droptail is the answer........fold it up --stand it up and roll it out of the way!!!!!

That's what I needed to hear! :thumbup: :ohyea:

smurfette
05-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Hi!
Both my hubby and I have trikes, and we use an 8'6" by 16' Haulmark. It gives us plenty of room, with room for a couple more bikes should the need arise when we're out with friends. It is a tandem axle, and our 2500 HD pickup trucks tow it like it's not even there! We installed a track system on the floor to make securement easy and adaptable. Whatever size/style trailer you decide on, always carry more tie downs than you'll think you need. You never know!

Oldmanzues
05-12-2012, 07:29 PM
I love my drop tail, but you do have to watch clearence (sp) sometimes.
Oldmanzues