PDA

View Full Version : DPS question

kmakona
05-11-2012, 09:54 AM
I need help from the Spyder Lovers Guru's.

I am back in the lower 48 states and have my second Spyder vacation. Last year was great. This year i am traveling for two months. I am concerned because I have had "Check DPS". :yikes:
It has happened two times. The first time, in California. I parked for a short time restarted all was fine. Ten minutes later it comes on. I repeat the process and ten minutes later it returns.

I took it to "Mission Motor Sports". They could not find or determine why. They performed all the diagnostics and said all is fine. I left for the midwest and on the 2nd day in Arizona. I went across some serious rough road. The "Check DPS" came on. I realized that was like the first time. I hit some real rough road in California.

In Arizona I stopped for lunch and fuel. The DPS did not show when I started and has been fine.

What would you suggest? The technician said they could find nothing wrong.
I have had no prior issues. I live in Hawaii so it sits a lot, but does get started two or three times during the winter.

Bob Denman
05-11-2012, 10:10 AM
:congrats: on your Spyder vacation! :2thumbs: I've got nothing on the DPS other than a guess that maybe the road road jangled around a sensor enoght to upset its stomach... If the dealer didn't find any active error codes with the BUDS system I wouldn't worry an awful lot about it. If it continues to act up, continue to monitor the conditions that seem to be triggering it; that could help to track down the gremlin. Good Luck and enjoy your trip! :thumbup:

NancysToy
05-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Without a code to go on, the cause would be hard to pinpoint. I would suggest two possibilities. The first would be low voltage, either from loose or corroded battery terminals, or from a weak (old) battery. The DPS is the largestr single electrical draw short of the starter motor, and craps out at the first sign of low voltage. When the Spyder is idling, and has a weak battery or bad connection, the charging system can't provide enough juice, and the DPS can fail to work.

The second thought is slightly miscalibrated steering sensors. I'd have the technician put the Spyder on BUDS and zero the sensors, just for luck. It doesn't take much of a mismatch to trigger a warning.

Pennyrick
05-11-2012, 12:18 PM
For what it's worth, I had the 'Check DPS' light occur on my 2012 RT Limited during our trip to Tennessee/North Carolina a couple of week's ago after a rather vigorous work out on the twisty NC route 209. It went into limp mode just as we got on a straight stretch so I pulled into a parking lot, shut it down and waited about five minutes. It fired back up and the light disappeared.

The next day we visited with Lamont in Mosheim and he put it on the BUDDS and found evidence of the error code but no problem was there to address. He recalibrated the steering anyway and left the code there just in case the dealer needed to follow up. The dealer's tech checked everything out when the Spyder was serviced last week and could find nothing out of whack.

Both Lamont and the tech opine that the computer may have gotten a little excited when we were running through some of the turns at good speeds. ( I have a tough time keeping my wife's RT in sight when I follow her on twisty roads), and maybe I may have over corrected in a couple of instances causing a computer oh-oh.

I guess I would rather have the computer over react rather than under react.

kmakona
05-11-2012, 01:36 PM
For what it's worth, I had the 'Check DPS' light occur on my 2012 RT Limited during our trip to Tennessee/North Carolina a couple of week's ago after a rather vigorous work out on the twisty NC route 209. It went into limp mode just as we got on a straight stretch so I pulled into a parking lot, shut it down and waited about five minutes. It fired back up and the light disappeared.

The next day we visited with Lamont in Mosheim and he put it on the BUDDS and found evidence of the error code but no problem was there to address. He recalibrated the steering anyway and left the code there just in case the dealer needed to follow up. The dealer's tech checked everything out when the Spyder was serviced last week and could find nothing out of whack.

Both Lamont and the tech opine that the computer may have gotten a little excited when we were running through some of the turns at good speeds. ( I have a tough time keeping my wife's RT in sight when I follow her on twisty roads), and maybe I may have over corrected in a couple of instances causing a computer oh-oh.

I guess I would rather have the computer over react rather than under react.

I agree, I thought it sitting for a while contributed to the issue. The technician calibrated everything. I think Lamont and tech are right. Both times happened with road issues. My tech said he could not find anything either. So I guess I will see how it goes.
I was just alarmed planning two years for this particular trip and this happens out the gate.

I would like to know if other peoples have had this issue.

kmakona
05-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Without a code to go on, the cause would be hard to pinpoint. I would suggest two possibilities. The first would be low voltage, either from loose or corroded battery terminals, or from a weak (old) battery. The DPS is the largestr single electrical draw short of the starter motor, and craps out at the first sign of low voltage. When the Spyder is idling, and has a weak battery or bad connection, the charging system can't provide enough juice, and the DPS can fail to work.

The second thought is slightly miscalibrated steering sensors. I'd have the technician put the Spyder on BUDS and zero the sensors, just for luck. It doesn't take much of a mismatch to trigger a warning.

Thanks I didn't think about the battery connection. I have a new battery installed last year. It was on a battery tender but I discovered after the issue the battery tender fuse had blown. So maybe my battery wasn't completely charged.