PDA

View Full Version : Non-stock seat?

kfriedrichs
05-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Hi ladies!

Well, was out for several hours tonight - wow that sure was fun! Time flies fast, that's for sure!

I do wonder - have any of you ladies upgraded your seat? I am noticing that I am rather sore now.. wondering if others have this issue?

Kate

DocRags
05-11-2012, 06:44 PM
AFTER we did a 7000 mile trip over 10 weeks last summer we decided to upgrade our stock seat (almost 18000 miles on our bike at that point in time, I think). Most of the local folks we ride with had upgraded way before we did. A few of them had won Corbin seats, but were recommending the Ultimate seat over it. We checked one out at Thunder Beach last October, had one put on for a test ride (vendor offers to take it off if you don't like it), fell in love with it and have been riding on it ever since. :2thumbs: We've put about 10000 miles on riding it. Hubby likes the fact that you can purchase a backrest, which we did for the driver's seat (I already had a backrest on our trunk). The seat is a little pricy, but worth every penny. :yes::yes:We have since changed our trunk to a Givi and the backrest was up between my shoulder blades on it...WAY too high (or I'm way too short!) When we were at Spyderfest we bought the passenger backrest...now I'm really in heaven. The seat comes with Frogg Togg-type rain cover, which is very nice. Most riders over time end up deciding the stock seat just isn't comfortable for long rides.

JaymeG33
05-11-2012, 07:54 PM
I have an Ultimate Seat as well. It is the midrider version. It will put you at the same position as you are in your stock seat right now. The lowrider version will put you 2" closer to the handlebars. I absolutely love it. I have got soooo many compliments on it as well. Here is a link to the website. I agree it is pricey, but it is worth every penny. It even fit my RS better than the stock seat did. Fits like a glove! Do you have an RS or RT? Just curious, let us know what you decide! :popcorn:

http://www.ultimateseats.ca/CanAmSpyder.html

My seat, you can click on the pictures to make them larger.

Y Blue
05-11-2012, 09:06 PM
After our first full summer with the bikes I knew that I could not do anymore long rides with the stock seat. I got the Kontour seat for my bike and love it.

I had a few requirements. I have a very bony butt so it had to have good soft padding. I did not want to carry a rain cover so it had to still be waterproof. Also, if you tend to overheat the Kontour's mesh lets air flow underneath you so it keeps you cooler. It also stays cooler when the sun is beating down on it than the leather/pleather/etc.

Now that I have had mine for a full summer and done some long trips, I have to say their marketing stuff is true. I would prefer that it didn't cool so well in the cooler weather, but I can live with it. I just bundle up more.

Absolutely worth the expense and the shipping wait for it.

kfriedrichs
05-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Thanks eveyone for your input - really appreciate it.

Jayme - can you tell me how tall you are? I'm 5'3", and wonder if I would go with the midrider or the lowrider? I'm at that borderline height, would love your input. I think I'd go witht he ultimate over the Kontour - I don't have any overheating problems, I actually have issues in staying warm, so a seat that was that well ventilated would probably not be right for me!

Thanks all!

flamingobabe
05-12-2012, 11:20 AM
I have a Corbin with the gas door...love the gas door....could be more comfortable..it's a little to wide...I wish it was a little higher in the center...I did have it moved up 2 inches....if Ultimate had a gas door That's what I would have...I travel alot and love the gas door

JaymeG33
05-12-2012, 12:17 PM

Jayme - can you tell me how tall you are? I'm 5'3", and wonder if I would go with the midrider or the lowrider? I'm at that borderline height, would love your input. I think I'd go witht he ultimate over the Kontour - I don't have any overheating problems, I actually have issues in staying warm, so a seat that was that well ventilated would probably not be right for me!

Thanks all!

I am 5' 4"...I definitely liked my position on my stock seat and didn't want it changed. I did get an opportunity to sit on a Corbin seat at my dealer when I was looking to purchase my RS, I agree, it is wider I thought it felt 'slippery' also. I really think that you would be pleased with the Ultimate, I have NO complaints what-so-ever.

spyder3
05-12-2012, 01:09 PM
After our first full summer with the bikes I knew that I could not do anymore long rides with the stock seat. I got the Kontour seat for my bike and love it.

I had a few requirements. I have a very bony butt so it had to have good soft padding. I did not want to carry a rain cover so it had to still be waterproof. Also, if you tend to overheat the Kontour's mesh lets air flow underneath you so it keeps you cooler. It also stays cooler when the sun is beating down on it than the leather/pleather/etc.

Now that I have had mine for a full summer and done some long trips, I have to say their marketing stuff is true. I would prefer that it didn't cool so well in the cooler weather, but I can live with it. I just bundle up more.

Absolutely worth the expense and the shipping wait for it.

:agree: 100% The best comfort mod i have done.

sewnonnie
07-19-2012, 07:03 PM
I love my Ultimate Low Rider with a back rest. I have a 2008 GS/RS and am 5'1". With the 4" handlebar risers, the Lowrider puts me just where I want to be and is more contoured than the stock seeat on the 2008s. The more I ride it the better I like it.

CJ/johnnyg
07-20-2012, 06:55 AM
I have the corbin seat and love it. It also has the gas door which is a must for me. I always take my helmet off and I hated trying to balance it on the seat when I get gas. You do slid a bit in the curves which I plan on getting the seat cut out a bit in Oct. at Octobertfest in Daytona, its called the lamonster cut after Lamont. I'm hoping that will solve the problem in the sliding. I did try the Ultimate seat at spyderfest it was the low rider. I'm 5'4 it was way to close for me. I rode it home and after the 1,000 mile trip my legs swelled up from the position of my legs. The reg fit might of been ok but I didn't want to have to be bothered with having to put the rain cover on all the time. Here in FL you never know when a summer shower is going to pop up. I have to say for a longer ride I prefer my corbin seat over the Ultimate. Just my two cents

muonwhiz
08-01-2012, 12:47 PM
I have an Ultimate Seat as well. It is the midrider version. It will put you at the same position as you are in your stock seat right now. The lowrider version will put you 2" closer to the handlebars. I absolutely love it. I have got soooo many compliments on it as well. Here is a link to the website. I agree it is pricey, but it is worth every penny. It even fit my RS better than the stock seat did. Fits like a glove! Do you have an RS or RT? Just curious, let us know what you decide! :popcorn:

http://www.ultimateseats.ca/CanAmSpyder.html

My seat, you can click on the pictures to make them larger.

What do you do about rainy weather? I hear the seats are not waterproof and you must put some type of liner on it with bad weather. Isn't that a hassle?

donec
08-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Is there a seat that will make the ride sit higher and is more narrow?

CJ/johnnyg
08-02-2012, 06:18 AM

Thanks all! I tried the Low rider and I'm 5'4 it put me way to close to the gas tank. The mid rider might have worked out but I went back to my Corbin. I like a firmer seat and a water proof one Here in FL it rains to much and I didn't want to have to worry about a rain cover

dmdahnert
08-02-2012, 07:05 AM
We've had our 2010 RT with the stock seat for 2 years and 10k miles and are still very pleased with the stock seat. I've done 700 miles in a day and no problem with soreness or distress with dismounting and the walk around. The partner finds it so comfortable that falling alseep has occurred a couple of times as well as no soreness when getting off the seat at the end of the day. The biggest drawback I have noted is in this crazy warm weather we have been having, it does cause a bit of perspiration in the "seating area". :D

Diana