PDA

View Full Version : Hole in seat oh my

Mspiv
05-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Ok ok don't get excited. I put the whole there deliberately .
Why would you do that?
cause I could not find a way to glue the Utopia Backrest on.

Seriously took about an hour to install this beautiful backrest. We got the one that matches both seat materials. It is gorgeous, the workmanship is superb and the instructions are perfect. He even warns you about the tube sleeves in the back hinges.

Cautions:
The spring clip that holds the piston to the seat will fly. It is also a bear to get back on.

The captive nuts and the barrel sleeves can get away from you and hide in bad places.

When you start the cut in the seat, use a sharp, none aerated knife, I used my pocket knife, just to make the initial incision, not to cut the foam. For the foam use the suggested serrated knife.

When drilling into the seat pan, controll the drill so as not to come out the other side of the seat

PM ME IF YOU HEVE QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS.

Measure twice...

Special tools:
These are not required but make the process a bit easier
Crochet hook to remove the foam from the drilled holes
a clothe tape measure will help when measuring around curves
A silver fine point sharpie marker
A ton of patience cause BRP does not make anything easy to get at.

SpyderAnn01
05-10-2012, 09:52 AM
It takes great courage to make a hole in your Spyder's seat and I applaud you for doing it. So far I have only made a hole to install HIDs and this one is not visible but was still so hard to do that I had to have my husband cut it. My rule is have him measure twice and cut once that way if it is wrong its not my fault. :roflblack:

Mspiv
05-10-2012, 11:20 AM
It takes great courage to make a hole in your Spyder's seat and I applaud you for doing it. So far I have only made a hole to install HIDs and this one is not visible but was still so hard to do that I had to have my husband cut it. My rule is have him measure twice and cut once that way if it is wrong its not my fault. :roflblack:

I thank that is Carolyn's M.O. also.

ARtraveler
05-10-2012, 11:30 AM
I had the Utopia installed on my original seat. I had the dealer do it though, because I did not like the thought of putting the hole through the brand new seat.

Mspiv
05-10-2012, 01:59 PM
I had the Utopia installed on my original seat. I had the dealer do it though, because I did not like the thought of putting the hole through the brand new seat.

Pit is very scary but in the end it wet very well and looks great. As I said earlie, the hard part was clearing out the foam and getting the darn seat off without loosing parts

CyncySpyder
05-10-2012, 06:16 PM

TuckMiddle
05-14-2012, 09:38 AM

Smartest thing you could do - especially with your recent back operation. I've got seat backs on my old bikes and rotate the AirHawk seat cushion from bike to bike. The combo is super - I've got the 8 lower vertebrae bolted together and some kind of a socket thing at the top so I can bend over some. Couldn't ride without the Utopia and Air Hawk - gotta do something about the car seats, still not comfortable for more than a few minutes. Did you put your newly painted "dashboard" on? PICS? Still haven't done mine, but going to.

No doubt red bikes are the best!! :firstplace:
Tuck

bluestratos
05-14-2012, 02:25 PM
I installed a couple Utopias in the past, follow the directions and think it through and it is easy and