PDA

View Full Version : 2012 RT-LTD SE5 shifting question

Huntindawg1962
05-08-2012, 08:24 PM
2012 RT-LTD - very new in break in process (about 100 miles) - seems at times when driving it and I hit the paddle to shift gears at times it seems to hesitate (engine and all) then kicks back in - I tried being quick about the shifting and also more deliberate but it seems to happen anyhow. Not an all the time kind of thing. Is this normal, a normal part of the break-in period or something unusual?

I have not been able to put my finger on where I am at in RPM's when I do this - I need to pay more attention to that too but I don't think I am winding it out when it does that.

flaggerphil
05-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Mine did that the first couple of times I rode it, then just settled in.

Sarge707
05-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Even during break in you should always try to shift AFTER 4,000 rpm,s but vary your rpm,s for the breakin period. Shifting Tooo early will cause the hesistation you speak of.

NancysToy
05-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Your rpms are probably too low. The Spyder will not shift if doing so will cause the rpm to drop below the point where it would automatically downshift. Try to shift at 4,000-5,000 rpm, and see if the problem goes away. Also, backing off the throttle before shifting can cause hesitation. Just hold the throttle steady.

Huntindawg1962
05-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Thanks everyone. I will try to wind it up a bit more and see if that helps! I was pretty sure I was not backing down the throttle - in fact - when it did finally shift - it really kicked as it reaccelerated.

Thanks again!

Grandpa Spyder
05-09-2012, 04:57 AM
Thanks everyone. I will try to wind it up a bit more and see if that helps! I was pretty sure I was not backing down the throttle - in fact - when it did finally shift - it really kicked as it reaccelerated.

Thanks again!

I said something to my dealer at the 600 mile check about the same thing. He said he is not sure why that happens, but that it is common to most people. I find it only happens when I shift below 3500 rpms. I have 2500 miles and it still does it once in a while when I am ****ing at lower rpms.

Huntindawg1962
05-09-2012, 09:39 AM
My issue is not so much that it does it (actually, yes it is an issue as it is annoying) but the fact that when it does it - if you have NOT let off the throttle, it really does kick you back almost in an unsafe manner as it is unexpected when it happens.

NancysToy
05-09-2012, 11:42 AM
I said something to my dealer at the 600 mile check about the same thing. He said he is not sure why that happens, but that it is common to most people. I find it only happens when I shift below 3500 rpms. I have 2500 miles and it still does it once in a while when I am ****ing at lower rpms.
Upshifting at 3,500 rpm will lower the rpm in the higher gear to about 2,500 rpm, which is the automatic downshifting point. That confuses the Spyder, and it doesn't want to keep popping between gears, so it will hesitate until the rpm rises a bit, or even refuse to shift.

ddileo
05-09-2012, 07:55 PM
For what it's worth, the first 2010 Sypder did this a lot before the entire finger shifter left cluster was change out because it was loose. A lot less after that. Also noticed it did it when the oil was running low. The new 2012 hasn’t done it once, keep the fingers crossed ...
:yes:

CyncySpyder
05-09-2012, 10:51 PM
As was mentioned by another poster, on the SE5, if your oil level gets a little low, it can cause similar issues, as you are experiencing, to occur. Make sure to check the oil level by the manual, only after the Spyder has been ridden and put through the gears and at proper engine temperature. It wouldn't be difficult for a dealer to improperly fill the oil level durring set-up. Not saying this is your issue, just that it COULD be a possible cause :dontknow:

Bob Denman
05-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Upshifting at 3,500 rpm will lower the rpm in the higher gear to about 2,500 rpm, which is the automatic downshifting point. That confuses the Spyder, and it doesn't want to keep popping between gears, so it will hesitate until the rpm rises a bit, or even refuse to shift.

:agree: I'm one of those riders who shifts early... :gaah: Every once in a while my RT lets me know when it's unsure if it wants to let me have control ofver the operating rpm levels...

Lamonster
05-10-2012, 07:45 AM
Just a FYI, when you run below 3500 rpm your clutch is not fully engaged and is slipping. This adds to normal wear on the clutch and it causes your oil to get dirty sooner than normal. I try keep my rpm's above 3500 all the time and I shift around 6K+. The Spyder runs best at 5K+ and there is no reason not to cruise in that rpm range.