PDA

View Full Version : can am communication system in my HJC helmet. Is this possible... Want to use PTT

lewin
05-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Hello everyone just recently bought a 2010 Spyder Rt-s with my fiance and was wondering about communication between the two of us.

I was either looking at the Can am communication system, or the ChatterBox X1 Slim. We already have the GPS and CB built in, but we do not
have the can am helmets nor do i want to buy them. I was wondering if you can still install the system in our Helmets " HJC CL-16 " or if the best thing would be to get
the ChatterBox system. One thing i really want to use is the PTT button on the handle bar, and want to know if that is usable with the ChatterBox system or, any other Bluetooth systems.
We would like to get everyones opinion on this, or if you know of a better system that we could still use the PTT button and or the built in system on the Spyder, that would be great....

Thanks for all the help.
Lewin

NancysToy
05-07-2012, 10:11 PM
BRP offers a Communication Headset (P/N 447438) for use with their comm system and alternate helmets. You would need one for each helmet.

The PTT switch only works with the BRP CB. You can also get one for the passenger to use for the CB (P/N 447476).

The Chatterbox does basically the same thing as the BRP system, but is wireless. It will not integrate with the BRP system. I would avoid it, as it hasn't a good reputation, IMO. The Sena SMH10 or Cardo Scala systems are better.

can-am sam
05-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Your Spyder has the CB/Com unit installed, so I would recommend buying the BRP headsets. We have the same system in our Spyder and it works well.

lewin
05-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Would communication between other bikes that dont have cb's be possible or is the spyder system just broadcast over the cb? One other question, with the canam system can it be hooked up to your telephone via Bluetooth and be used with your headset?

Tha is again.
Lewin

OneBadPenny
05-07-2012, 11:36 PM
If you have the built in CB system you have the 7 pin connector on your "dash" and all you need is the J&M connector cable and headset of your choosing. I went with the cheaper unit as I could not tell the difference between the Elite or the Performance series. You will notice a difference in price between the two though.

Jmcorp.com is where you want to go. They make the BRP stuff anyway.

stevedfive
05-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Actually the BRP stuff is made by Radio Sound/N-Touch in Louisville, KY.

NancysToy
05-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Would communication between other bikes that dont have cb's be possible or is the spyder system just broadcast over the cb? One other question, with the canam system can it be hooked up to your telephone via Bluetooth and be used with your headset?

Tha is again.
Lewin
Communication with other bikes is only possible through CB. If you wish to communicate with non-CB users, you would have to use a Bluetooth or other alternate comm system. Those users would have to be paired with your system.

The Can-Am system can be connected to your Bluetooth phone via a Cellphone Interface Kit (P/N 219400390), available from a dealer. The kit only works with 2011 & newer RTs.

lewin
05-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Communication with other bikes is only possible through CB. If you wish to communicate with non-CB users, you would have to use a Bluetooth or other alternate comm system. Those users would have to be paired with your system.

The Can-Am system can be connected to your Bluetooth phone via a Cellphone Interface Kit (P/N 219400390), available from a dealer. The kit only works with 2011 & newer RTs.

I have a 2010 so the cell phone kit will not work for me.
I would like to use the cb system but If I can't use it with a
phone, I don't know if it's worth it.
I also ride mostly with guys that do not have CB radios.

NancysToy
05-08-2012, 12:28 PM
I have a 2010 so the cell phone kit will not work for me.
I would like to use the cb system but If I can't use it with a
phone, I don't know if it's worth it.
I also ride mostly with guys that do not have CB radios.
In that case I'd choose either a wired or wireless comm system. Wired systems connect to the phone with a cable, wireless via Bluetooth. With the wired systems you have to add CB or FRS/GMRS radio for bike-to-bike. With wireless it can be built-in via Bluetooth. IMO, the best systems are these:

Wireless:
Cardo Scala
Sena SMH10

Wired:
Starcom1
Autocomm

lewin
05-08-2012, 03:57 PM
In that case I'd choose either a wired or wireless comm system. Wired systems connect to the phone with a cable, wireless via Bluetooth. With the wired systems you have to add CB or FRS/GMRS radio for bike-to-bike. With wireless it can be built-in via Bluetooth. IMO, the best systems are these:

Wireless:
Cardo Scala
Sena SMH10

Wired:
Starcom1
Autocomm

Thanks Alot for all the information I'll look into those systems and check the prices

bbodah
05-08-2012, 04:34 PM
My wife and I have the Sena smh10 and love them they last all day long with the intercom constantly connected.:clap:

gmcgarrity
05-08-2012, 06:03 PM
chatter box not good

ride safe
geo

lewin
05-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all the information and your thoughts...

Lewin.