PDA

View Full Version : The Bed Lined Spyder is DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bytemi
05-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Well she is done! I think she looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s514/Bytemi75/Final%20Billie/IMG_0413.jpg
http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s514/Bytemi75/Final%20Billie/IMG_0412.jpg
http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s514/Bytemi75/Final%20Billie/IMG_0411.jpg
http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s514/Bytemi75/Final%20Billie/IMG_0410.jpg
http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s514/Bytemi75/Final%20Billie/IMG_0405.jpg
New Mirrors and grips

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s514/Bytemi75/Final%20Billie/IMG_0404.jpg
Seems appropriate now.

I have a lot more photos and they can be viewed at:

http://www.photobucket.com/stealthbillie

The password is: spyderlovers

There is a video of my first ride too. :D

I hope everyone has enjoyed my posts on this project!

bo9roadking
05-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Wow, that is amazing. You did a fantastic job. :bowdown: I love the contrast between the two blacks.

Dwanton
05-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Holy sweet batman - looks freakin awesome :yes:

Very nice job :thumbup:

SteveMac
05-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Great job!!!
:):):)

Illinois Boy
05-06-2012, 07:07 PM
I have to admit when I read you were thinking of doing that... I thought you were nuts. I also have to admit that it looks really good. I am glad to see you left some of the panel pieces glossy. The contrast look great.

I tried your photo bucket link, but it is passworded... would like to see more pics -- hopefully ones that show the texture.

Again, looks good!

Tiny1
05-06-2012, 07:10 PM
AWESOME....Fabtabulous job!:clap::bowdown:

steve635
05-06-2012, 07:11 PM
My RS is not a month old yet, and you have me tempted. That came out great!!! Had a friend who did his F-150 (not the just the bed, the whole truck) and it came out pretty good, but you've got a lot of talent. That's not as easy as it looks, think I may try my truck bed first and if that comes out good.....well...

MarkLawson
05-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Love it! :thumbup:

Bytemi
05-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Wow, that is amazing. You did a fantastic job. :bowdown: I love the contrast between the two blacks.

I had a vision of how it was going to turn out and I thought the contrast would look awesome! :D

Bytemi
05-06-2012, 07:22 PM
I have to admit when I read you were thinking of doing that... I thought you were nuts. I also have to admit that it looks really good. I am glad to see you left some of the panel pieces glossy. The contrast look great.

I tried your photo bucket link, but it is passworded... would like to see more pics -- hopefully ones that show the texture.

Again, looks good!

Sorry forgot to post the password it is spyderlovers

I am glad you like it.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-06-2012, 07:25 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAMAZING ......Mike.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::th umbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup ::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thu mbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup:

Bytemi
05-06-2012, 07:25 PM
My RS is not a month old yet, and you have me tempted. That came out great!!! Had a friend who did his F-150 (not the just the bed, the whole truck) and it came out pretty good, but you've got a lot of talent. That's not as easy as it looks, think I may try my truck bed first and if that comes out good.....well...

Step by step instructions are available here if you want to try it yourself:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?38846-Work-In-Progress-Bed-Lining-the-Spyder

:yes:

Bytemi
05-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Here is an up close picture of the bed lining.

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s514/Bytemi75/Final%20Billie/IMG_0393.jpg

Illinois Boy
05-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the close-up of the texture... that looks really, really good. I am amazed at how it looks.:clap:

coz
05-06-2012, 08:24 PM
it looks R E A L L Y good. nice work byte! you may have just set the record for B E S T cheap mod ever:yikes::thumbup:very nice !

Bytemi
05-06-2012, 08:30 PM
it looks R E A L L Y good. nice work byte! you may have just set the record for B E S T cheap mod ever:yikes::thumbup:very nice !

You to can do it for $36 and about 8 hours. LOL. Great alternative to the phantom panels!

hrbeta
05-06-2012, 08:59 PM
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

capt.jim
05-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Had my doubts at first, but it looks great, better than I ever imagined.

NancysToy
05-06-2012, 09:23 PM

:agree: :clap:

spyderrock
05-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Bytemi not many people would have the guts to do this to their Spyder BUT.....:clap::clap::clap: I think it is absolutely awesome, when you first said you were thinking of this I was kind of nervous for you to say the truth but wow it looks so good. I will bet a dollar you see a few people here do this great idea

Tru-Blue
05-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Your :spyder2: looks great! Congratulations on the out come.

Tru-Blue :clap::clap:

pro10is
05-06-2012, 11:28 PM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Incredible! That took guts. You're amazing! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Firefly
05-07-2012, 01:48 AM
Nice------ really nice!!!!!!!

Bytemi
05-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Nice------ really nice!!!!!!!

Thank you, I love it and I am not sure I would have jumped off that bridge without the red panels that you sent me. A backup plan is always a good idea.

Bytemi
05-07-2012, 06:10 AM
Bytemi not many people would have the guts to do this to their Spyder BUT.....:clap::clap::clap: I think it is absolutely awesome, when you first said you were thinking of this I was kind of nervous for you to say the truth but wow it looks so good. I will bet a dollar you see a few people here do this great idea

My only disclaimer for other people is to make sure you read the step by step post and read about the pitfalls and the things you should avoid. It can go very wrong, very fast, Thank God for my husband that can fix anything.

If you do decide you want to try this, you can PM me with questions and make sure you are ready to buy a new set of panels in case anything goes wrong. I would feel awful if someone messed up their bike and couldn't ride it any more.

J. Mark
05-07-2012, 06:35 AM
Looks great...love the creativity of something that may not have been done before.

Bob Denman
05-07-2012, 06:37 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAMAZING ......Mike.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::th umbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup ::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thu mbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup:

:agree: ..Can't say it any better than that! :firstplace:

You have opened up the eyes of this group and I bet that there are more folks here who are taking another look at how they want their :spyder2: to look! :congrats: on being a TRAILBLAZER! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_15_50.gif

Shewhoprays
05-07-2012, 06:41 AM
Super job, you ROCK!!!!

mowin
05-07-2012, 06:47 AM
That looks great...How is it to clean? I have a phantom kit, and the matt finish is a pain to keep clean. I have a silver set of skins and have been thinking of getting them painted.

chickridin
05-07-2012, 07:17 AM
I wasn't sure if I was even reading this right, truck bed liner...wth???.....but, wow! That is so cool! :2thumbs: :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: How talented you are!

Bytemi
05-07-2012, 07:18 AM
That looks great...How is it to clean? I have a phantom kit, and the matt finish is a pain to keep clean. I have a silver set of skins and have been thinking of getting them painted.

Truck bed liner is like teflon, my husband said we hose it down and dry, that is all. I actually wanted the Phantom Panels but didn't want to spend the $1,000 on them. I think this is a great alternative.

Bob Denman
05-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Folks who like the look of the Phantoms are definitely thinking hard now... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_12.gif

Bytemi
05-07-2012, 07:31 AM
:agree: ..Can't say it any better than that! :firstplace:

You have opened up the eyes of this group and I bet that there are more folks here who are taking another look at how they want their :spyder2: to look! :congrats: on being a TRAILBLAZER! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_15_50.gif

I would say creative not really a trailblazer, but thank you. ;)

Lamonster
05-07-2012, 07:33 AM
I love it, great job and great vision. :thumbup::firstplace:

Buttsy
05-07-2012, 07:39 AM
I love it, great job and great vision. :thumbup::firstplace:

What he said...............looks great!

zrc
05-07-2012, 07:46 AM
My only disclaimer for other people is to make sure you read the step by step post and read about the pitfalls and the things you should avoid. It can go very wrong, very fast, Thank God for my husband that can fix anything.

If you do decide you want to try this, you can PM me with questions and make sure you are ready to buy a new set of panels in case anything goes wrong. I would feel awful if someone messed up their bike and couldn't ride it any more.

The real question is what would you and your husband charge to recreate (pending possible coloration) this mod? I would drop off the spyder and pay for the time :D

In all seriousness, fantastic job and I will be looking into your instructions and considering this on a very serious level. The only issues I have is the custom insert I have from Pete, and my Corbin Fleetliners.

I like the idea of the durability of the paint / bed liner though, it is what is pulling me in the direction the most.

Bytemi
05-07-2012, 08:04 AM
The real question is what would you and your husband charge to recreate (pending possible coloration) this mod? I would drop off the spyder and pay for the time :D

In all seriousness, fantastic job and I will be looking into your instructions and considering this on a very serious level. The only issues I have is the custom insert I have from Pete, and my Corbin Fleetliners.

I like the idea of the durability of the paint / bed liner though, it is what is pulling me in the direction the most.

Honestly, we discussed the possibility of offering to bed line Spyders, but we agreed that we would be afraid of messing it up. I don't mind answering questions, and I did my best on the step by step instructions. I will help anyway I can if you want to try this, but I don't want to be responsible for anyone's Spyder but my own.

kyspydergal
05-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Looks great!

zrc
05-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Honestly, we discussed the possibility of offering to bed line Spyders, but we agreed that we would be afraid of messing it up. I don't mind answering questions, and I did my best on the step by step instructions. I will help anyway I can if you want to try this, but I don't want to be responsible for anyone's Spyder but my own.

I can understand and appreciate your perspective here :)

My only real concern is the Corbin Fleetliners, Messing them up would make me cry.

Bob Denman
05-07-2012, 09:18 AM
I can understand and appreciate your perspective here :)

My only real concern is the Corbin Fleetliners, Messing them up would make me cry.

C'mon Tito... give it a shot! :thumbup: We have faith in you! :shocked:

zrc
05-07-2012, 09:24 AM
While I have no doubts I will, its riding season, and I think I will look at paint in the winter. That will give me time to decide on a color I like and locate it.

However, I am about to replace my tires, and the SAME company makes a tire sealer that helps keep your tires all shiney. That is game on.

Mspiv
05-07-2012, 09:38 AM
In the Massachusetts vernacular we would say...

That Spydah is pissah

Bytemi
05-07-2012, 09:56 AM
While I have no doubts I will, its riding season, and I think I will look at paint in the winter. That will give me time to decide on a color I like and locate it.

However, I am about to replace my tires, and the SAME company makes a tire sealer that helps keep your tires all shiney. That is game on.

If you give it a try, remember not to use Line-X, it is industrial and too heavy.

zrc
05-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Ayup, I was refering to Dupli-Color, they have a Tire shiney thingie too. Their only bed liner is black best I can tell (SADFACED PANDA)

Bytemi
05-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Ayup, I was refering to Dupli-Color, they have a Tire shiney thingie too. Their ownly bed liner is black best I can tell (SADFACED PANDA)

OK, I just learned a lot about what not to do, during this and I don't want anyone making a mistake. Use Dupli-Color or Duraliner (which comes in different colors) if you want to bed line your Spyder. :yes:

Bob Denman
05-07-2012, 10:28 AM
...they have a Tire shiney thingie too.
Remember: "Tire Shiney" stuff on sidewalls only... If you shine up your tread, your VSS system will go bonkers!

gln2
05-07-2012, 11:23 AM
SWEEEEET!! Great Idea:clap:

Bytemi
05-07-2012, 05:08 PM
By the way after you bed line the Spyder, during your first ride you may have a strange smell from your Spyder and it is the paint curing.

Camdenlake
05-07-2012, 05:16 PM

Same here but damn that looks mean. No worries about stone chips either :). Well done. Love unique stuff when it comes out so good.

Josh

SpydherLuv
05-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Awesome job, looks fantastic - better than the Phantom, I think. :2thumbs:

Please keep us posted on how well it wears during your rides. I'm curious to see and hear about how well it stands up to the environment. Have you tried throwing a rock at it yet?? :shocked: nojoke

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Have you left it out in the hot sun yet ? Does it get soft ?.....Mike.....Just curious

Riker
05-07-2012, 06:53 PM
AWESOME!!!:yes::yes::yes::thumbup::thumbup::thumbu p::thumbup:

DynamoBT
05-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Fantastic results!!! That came out better than any of us could have imagined!!! You are an artist!!! I mean it!! Looks fantastic!!!!!

jvicker
05-07-2012, 07:27 PM
I actually wanted the Phantom Panels but didn't want to spend the $1,000 on them. I think this is a great alternative.

I've always liked the contrast of the blacks on the Phantom. But like you , didn't want to spend a grand on the look. You really got me wanting to try this. :thumbup:

Great, great job.::firstplace:

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowd own:

Bytemi
05-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Have you left it out in the hot sun yet ? Does it get soft ?.....Mike.....Just curious

No it actually stayed cooler than the gloss panels and it did not get soft.

smurfette
05-07-2012, 08:28 PM
:clap:That looks AMAZING!!!!:bowdown:

Bytemi
05-08-2012, 06:34 AM
I've always liked the contrast of the blacks on the Phantom. But like you , didn't want to spend a grand on the look. You really got me wanting to try this. :thumbup:

Great, great job.::firstplace:

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowd own:

Make sure that you have a fall back position, just in case something goes wrong. I purchased an extra set of panels just in case it didn't turn out right. I walked in with a vision in my head, but fear in my heart that I was going to ruin the panels. Please do a test piece and be careful.

Bytemi
05-08-2012, 06:37 AM
Awesome job, looks fantastic - better than the Phantom, I think. :2thumbs:

Please keep us posted on how well it wears during your rides. I'm curious to see and hear about how well it stands up to the environment. Have you tried throwing a rock at it yet?? :shocked: nojoke

No I have not thrown a rock at it yet. I am sure that the cars around me will take care of that soon enough. ;)

Bytemi
05-18-2012, 01:39 PM
You are not going to believe this! I screwed up the hood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, sometimes being a perfectionist works against me. There was a light spot in the middle of the hood so I tried to dust cover it with another layer of bed liner, but it came out lumpy (I should have stopped there), but no, I figure it was still wet and I could wipe it away that didn't work it smeared (I should have stopped there), but no, so then I tried sanding it but made it even worse never sand wet paint, I don't know what I was thinking.

So I stripped the hood of all bed liner, it is actually rubber and easy to remove with high heat. I will be repainting this weekend and then Stealth Billie will be back on the road! I can't wait.

Bob Denman
05-18-2012, 01:49 PM
:shocked: Sorry to hear about a bump in the road for Stealth Billie... You'll get everything back to "great" this weekend; I'm sure of that! :thumbup:

Netminder
06-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Being an x-Bodyman ,I have worked with Bed liner before. But have never seen it used like this!It looks great:thumbup: Another option although it is thicker and would be more of an orange peel affect, would be gravel guard as you can mix it with what ever color you fancy. This is the stuff that goes on rocker panels and door bottoms to protect the bottom panels from stone chips. Once did a guys old pick up with it and it lasted forever. That looks really fantastic and should keep the panels looking good for a long, long time. Nice job!

Bytemi
06-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Thank you that sounds like an interesting solution. I love my flat black. I am so happy with the way it turned out.

Smokinspyder
06-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Nice move it looks great !

JimVonBaden
11-23-2016, 07:28 AM
If you are still around, do you still have the bike, and how is it holding up?

I bedlinered my motorcycle once. It looked good, but it is not super durable in the spray can form. Commercial bedliner is very durable, but both tend to fade. These days I would go with Plastidip. It is removable and lasts just as long, and is easy to touch up. IMHO.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/Misc/Misc%20bikes/01-KLR-rt-side-2.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/Misc/Misc%20bikes/01-KLR-rt-side.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/Misc/Misc%20bikes/01-KLR-lt-side-front.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/Misc/Misc%20bikes/01-KLR-front2-web.jpg

Bob Denman
11-23-2016, 07:55 AM
:oldpost:
Adele sold "Stealth Billie", but is now shopping for her next ride! :thumbup:

JimVonBaden
11-23-2016, 08:23 AM
:oldpost:
Adele sold "Billie", but is now shopping for her next ride! :thumbup:

I know it is an OLD POST, notice how I phrased my question?

Bob Denman
11-23-2016, 08:38 AM
...Yet you DID get your answer... :D

JimVonBaden
11-23-2016, 09:00 AM
...Yet you DID get your answer... :D

No, I did not. I asked how it was holding up. If she just sold it, she probably has a REAL answer to the question, since it has been 4 years.

Bob Denman
11-23-2016, 09:15 AM
PM being sent...

Roadster Renovations
11-23-2016, 09:31 AM
That is really neat!!

gkamer
11-23-2016, 09:35 AM
That looks pretty bad ass. Did you do the spray yourself or farm it out? Either way I like the look

armyspydervet
11-23-2016, 10:00 AM
I have a question for you, if she is still on here. Just realized this post is five years old? I want to paint the two silver intakes on my F3. I was about to just buy the replacement parts from BRP. Would you bedline these for me? I would pay, but you lunch, you name it. I live in Occoquan right down the road from you.

JimVonBaden
11-23-2016, 10:15 AM
I have a question for you, if she is still on here. Just realized this post is five years old? I want to paint the two silver intakes on my F3. I was about to just buy the replacement parts from BRP. Would you bedline these for me? I would pay, but you lunch, you name it. I live in Occoquan right down the road from you.

140525Come on over. We can paint them with bedliner, plastidip them, or I have some carbon fiber wrap that would look killer on them.

I did this to my GS:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/JVB%20Productions/2015%20R1200GS/Accessories/1%20Carbon%20Fiber%20Wrap%201.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/JVB%20Productions/2015%20R1200GS/Accessories/1%20Carbon%20Fiber%20Wrap%2011.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/JVB%20Productions/2015%20R1200GS/Accessories/1%20Carbon%20Fiber%20Wrap%207.jpg

JimVonBaden
11-23-2016, 10:20 AM
I just realized the OP was also nearby and you probably meant her.

Still, no problem if you would like a hand. My price is fair, free. ;)

BigGuy66
11-23-2016, 10:38 AM
...how good your Spyder looks. I could not visualize what it would look like but it is VERY SHARP and unique. Well done!!
Jim

HayRog
11-23-2016, 12:40 PM
I had a vision of how it was going to turn out and I thought the contrast would look awesome! :D

Your vision was 20/20
Looks really cool :thumbup:

armyspydervet
11-23-2016, 05:42 PM
Come on over. We can paint them with bedliner, plastidip them, or I have some carbon fiber wrap that would look killer on them.

I did this to my GS:

I'll gladly take you up on that offer. Whenever your free, let me know. But I will pay in money, beer, food, or a combination of the three :doorag:

JimVonBaden
11-23-2016, 06:02 PM
I'll gladly take you up on that offer. Whenever your free, let me know. But I will pay in money, beer, food, or a combination of the three :doorag:
Fort B, or DC?

I live just off 395 on Seminary. I am usually home from work by 4:30. Next week is good, or maybe on the weekend.

PM me.

I do eat and drink! :D

Pineywoods36
11-23-2016, 09:42 PM
That looks AWESOME :yes: One question you have to let me know how it is to wash with the texture it has. :clap:

Ron2andia
11-24-2016, 06:47 AM
Awesome!

Bytemi
12-02-2016, 07:55 AM
It actually held up nicely. I loved it because if a rock hit me, it just bounced off and left no marks. The key is the drying processing before each coat. Patience is a virtue. LOL :D

If you are still around, do you still have the bike, and how is it holding up?

I bedlinered my motorcycle once. It looked good, but it is not super durable in the spray can form. Commercial bedliner is very durable, but both tend to fade. These days I would go with Plastidip. It is removable and lasts just as long, and is easy to touch up. IMHO.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/Misc/Misc%20bikes/01-KLR-rt-side-2.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/Misc/Misc%20bikes/01-KLR-rt-side.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/Misc/Misc%20bikes/01-KLR-lt-side-front.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/Misc/Misc%20bikes/01-KLR-front2-web.jpg

Bytemi
12-02-2016, 07:57 AM
My husband and I did it, there is a step by step tutorial somewhere. We took pictures the entire time and documented everything.

That looks pretty bad ass. Did you do the spray yourself or farm it out? Either way I like the look

Bytemi
12-02-2016, 07:59 AM
Great part about it was washing it. I hosed it down after a ride, everything fell off and no drying needed. I was really impressed with how it held up!

That looks AWESOME :yes: One question you have to let me know how it is to wash with the texture it has. :clap:

Bytemi
12-02-2016, 08:01 AM
I see you have an offer to do a joint project and I can't wait to see pictures. I did a tutorial, step by step instructions, exactly what I used and how we did it.

Bob Denman
12-02-2016, 08:03 AM
Hi Adele!
Glad to see that you're back! :clap: :2thumbs:

JimVonBaden
12-02-2016, 03:44 PM
It actually held up nicely. I loved it because if a rock hit me, it just bounced off and left no marks. The key is the drying processing before each coat. Patience is a virtue. LOL :D

Good info. Do you mean I needed to let it dry longer between coats?If so, how long did you wait to help durability?

Thanks,

Bytemi
12-02-2016, 04:34 PM
Good info. Do you mean I needed to let it dry longer between coats?If so, how long did you wait to help durability?

Thanks,

I did it in the middle of summer. I put a skim coat on it and let it bake in the sun until it had hardened. I continued this process 3 times until it looked nice.

JimVonBaden
12-02-2016, 07:19 PM
I did it in the middle of summer. I put a skim coat on it and let it bake in the sun until it had hardened. I continued this process 3 times until it looked nice.
:thumbup: