PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you Campers

mowin
05-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Thinking of getting a used camper. I know squat about them. What do I look for besides water stains?? Any tips from the pro's would be great...

arntufun
05-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Look on Craigslist under RV's

Water stains and a Spongy floor are big no no's !!! Check the roof for cracks and underneath the trailer for frame rot. Check all appliances especially the fridge and AC because they are the big ticket items to replace. Make sure the awning is in good shape as well. I would never buy one unless it was hooked up to water and electric so I could see for myself that everything worked as it should. Have the seller go through all the set up, take down and winterization of the trailer so you know what to do.

Make sure you have the anti sway bars if it is bigger trailer. You might also need to install an electric brake system on your truck.

Most importantly Rob so listen very carefully. You must get a Toyota Tundra or you will have no shot at pulling a bigger camper with that American made crap you drive. :roflblack:

We are going camping all next week if you want to come hang out with us. :thumbup: Exit 17n of the northway, two exits north of Saratoga.

If you want, check ot my homeade toy hauler next week or at Americade and see if something like I built will work for you. That way you can bring your Spyder with you camping. It was brand new, cheap and fully funtional. The only downside is it's only built for two. Unless the third is cute and female. :joke:

Phantom888
05-05-2012, 07:57 PM
I have my toy hauler for sale on cragslist. http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/rvs/2935018729.html I'm sure I can get you the spyderlovers coupon code for it to. :ohyea::ohyea:

mowin
05-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Randy, thanks for the info...BTW real trucks dont need anti sway bars...

rnet
05-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Americade would be a great place to look at trailers, there are thousands of them there. Some even for sale.

JCSMOKE
05-06-2012, 09:31 PM
What kind are you looking for?

mowin
05-07-2012, 06:28 AM
Lookin for a 28-32 foot tag along. my tow rig is a 1 ton dump w high sides, so a 5th wheel is out, even though the camper will most likley stay at a seasonal site. Toy haulers are nice, but not what were lookin for. never having a camper before, i dont know the problem areas/issues to look for, or what brands if any to stay away from. Just looking for any tips.

arntufun
05-07-2012, 06:42 AM
Lookin for a 28-32 foot tag along. my tow rig is a 1 ton dump w high sides, so a 5th wheel is out, even though the camper will most likley stay at a seasonal site. Toy haulers are nice, but not what were lookin for. never having a camper before, i dont know the problem areas/issues to look for, or what brands if any to stay away from. Just looking for any tips.

32 feet !!!!!!!!! Thats a big camper Rob !!!!! :yikes: The good news is, you will get those at a good price. :thumbup:

cjackg
05-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Most importantly Rob so listen very carefully. You must get a Toyota Tundra or you will have no shot at pulling a bigger camper with that American made crap you drive. :roflblack:

Evidently you have'nt met up with a Ford F150 "EcoBoost" yet.... those twin turbos in the Ecoboost might embarass a Tundra!
:roflblack: :yes:

rnet
05-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Rob, Jayco has several lines to meet anyone's budget and they are fairly nice and should be able to find used one's. A buddy of mine just traded one in, 24' octane, 29' overall $13,000. Deals are out there. This was a toy hauler and they do make them stronger, but not quite as nice inside tell you go big. My is the same model only 2' longer, but a big difference inside. I would suggest going online to see what you might like, then look around and see what you find used.

mowin
05-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Found a one used i like at a dealer. it a '04, 32' bunkhouse. Smooth fiberglass sides, super slide, w a new never used screen room. askin 11k. Never been camping, and we are nervous about droppin 11k plus 2-3k on a seasonal. may rent a camper a few weekends to see if it somethin we like...

rnet
05-08-2012, 07:25 AM
that's a good idea, that way you can see what your likes and dislike might be with that camper.

arntufun
05-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Yesterday it rained all stinkin day camping. We still are having a great time. :cheers:

mowin
05-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Randy..Weather looks like it gonna get better for ya. Where ya campin??